Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career in Law....

• 15-04-2017 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Happy Easter everyone!!

After deciding my current career is never going to be a high career work full time now on 18k and no hope of any pay increments even to do a degree same wage. Would be very interested in legal and law. I'm conscious I can't stop work now to do full time degree with saving to rent and my ds5 but when he's older I'd like to become a solicitor. I have Fetac Level 5 in Medical Secretary, and although have no legal work experience as such just general office, how would I go about getting into a legal receptionist/ secretary position until I can do the Degree even part time a few years down the line. Any advice welcome please tia (:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You can do a law degree part time and it's fairly easy going if you have the interest. However there is no requirement for a law degree (or it seems any degree) to become a solicitor. There was a thread recently outlining the preliminary exam, I'm not aware of the requirements. In regard to getting a job as a receptionist/exec etc. you can simply ask. Alternatively you could look at doing the Iilex, Griffith do it and allow entry to second year of their degree program.

The barrister (cape wearing people on their feet in court) is the route that requires a law degree or diploma from the Inns.

The profession is extremely accessible and general office work experience would be a boon, as frankly it's like any other office it just does law stuff rather than selling paper or widgets or banking. If you decide the exec route is more accessible to you financially for a few years it can be quite well paid eventually and in the right firm.

The very best of luck with it. Start googling the Carbolic Smoke Ball and Donoghue v Stevenson

Advertisement