Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Easter Rising

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Listowel Man

indioblack wrote: »
    "Would you look at them smashing all those lovely windows".
    shocking just how poor Michael Collins is

the aww jaysus acting makes me cringe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Trial Of The Century was on tv3 last night

it makes perfect sense that Nidge plays one of the rising thugs

now it's 2017 and the IRA have been exposed beyond any reasonable doubt

murder, sex abuse, witness intimidation, safe houses etc

safe houses
    Ah ;The Auld , safe house....definitely a step too far:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

We always looked up to men like John Redmond and John Dillon in our family.

Not paedos in St Endas or men acting against the will of the people.

Sounds like your family is a shower of cringing forelock tuggers. Were they police informers as well?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

LordSutch wrote: »
    ... a bit like when people used to buy true pieces of the cross (from the crucifixion), until it was worked out that if you added up all the bits, you could probably make hundreds of crosses.

Surely by the law of averages you're much more likely to have had a relative in the forces who put down the rising than to have actually had a rebel ancestor?

A lot of them were probably killed in WW1 afterwards or left the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

blinding wrote: »
    safe houses
    Ah ;The Auld , safe house....definitely a step too far:eek:

it was when they were used by terrorists at the time.

We always looked up to men like John Redmond and John Dillon in our family.

Not paedos in St Endas or men acting against the will of the people.

How unsurprising that you're not only spouting Ruth Dudley Edwards discredited British unionist lie, but that you're glorifying John Redmond, the very person who sent tens of thousands of Irish-born people to die for the fanatical aims of the British Empire and then infamously glorified their deaths, given your previous utterances on this website:

The paddies always denounce the royal family. They've a fierce inferiority complex towards Britain. They don't realise that the British civilised them and gave them a legal and class structure.
    The Brexit hints at the old Bulldog spirit.... They will succeed, Britain will never decline.

They have guts and balls, the bullgogs. Creators of the word's last great empire.

Think of all that Empire gave to the rest of the world. Where would we all be in the western world without the British.
    The British imo gave more to the world than they took, a tiny island in the north Atlantic built an empire, introduced civilisation to wild lands....You could make an argument that some of the ex colonies in Africa for instance have gone backwards
    Britain... became a civilised race long before we did. Naturally as an advanced race they spread their wings and endeavored to grow their empire.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Seriously? There's trolling, and there's the British masterrace "civilised" rubbish that you are obsessed with spouting on this website ad nauseum. Replace Irish with Jews or Blacks and you'd have been banned long ago.

How unsurprising that you're spouting Ruth Dudley Edwards
    makes me laugh how aggressive SF/IRA supporters get when the murder/abuse enablers are condemned

John Redmond, the very person who sent tens of thousands of Irish-born people to die for the fanatical aims of the British Empire and then infamously glorified their deaths, .

The Irish people who went to fight in WW1 went for a variety of reasons. One reason some of them went for, for example, was to defend Europe against the invading Germans, who invaded and raped little Catholic Belgium, for example.
    Of course, your hatred of the British, which was bred in to you, stops you from seeing that.

makes me laugh how aggressive SF/IRA supporters get when the murder/abuse enablers are condemned

Given every post of yours on this website so far has been about what you entertainingly term "SF/IRA" it makes me wonder what your old name here was...

• Advertisement

maryishere wrote: »
    One reason some of them went for, for example, was to defend Europe against the invading Germans, who invaded and raped little Catholic Belgium, for example.

Ah Mary. The nice freedom-lovers of the gentle British Empire going to fight for the rights of... small nations against the... evil imperialists in Germany. Ah bless you. Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

shocking just how poor Michael Collins is

the aww jaysus acting makes me cringe
    I remember the phrase from an ITV Playhouse production decades ago.
    There was another with Patrick Troughton called "He Rises on Sunday and We on Monday".
    I doubt if works like these would stand up to modern scrutiny - probably too stage-Irish - yet the essential message would have been the same.
    There was a marvelous black comedy about the hotel that was continually being bombed - the Europa, I think it was called.
    One scene had a gigantic explosion heard outside - inside there was dust and smoke. "Don't worry sir," says the waiter to one of the guests, "it's just the British army making the place safe".

The Irish people who went to fight in WW1 went for a variety of reasons. One reason some of them went for, for example, was to defend Europe against the invading Germans, who invaded and raped little Catholic Belgium, for example.
    Of course, your hatred of the British, which was bred in to you, stops you from seeing that.

What was little Catholic Belgium doing in the Congo around that time? World War 1 was about various empires clashing over power and trade; not some glorious struggle for democracy. Belgium was probably the most vicious colonist ever to take part in the rape of Africa.

I don't think anyone here hates Britain or its people; I'd think it far more likely that you and some other posters here have inherited some bizarre case of post-colonial inferiority complex if anything.

The british in Ireland were 'A lovely Bunch of Lads "

Just unfortunate how many Irish starved /died , discriminated against etc......

We were lucky that they were ' A lovely bunch of lads " ............

One scene had a gigantic explosion heard outside - inside there was dust and smoke.

I think you wil find that practically all the damage and death caused by explosions during the troubles was committed by Republicans....98 or 99% of the explosions anyway.

The british in Ireland were 'A lovely Bunch of Lads "
    there will never be a united ireland because what was done in our name by the IRA makes most people sick

• Advertisement

there will never be a united ireland because what was done in our name by the IRA makes most people sick
    Haven't most people in Ireland forgotten what the British have done in Ireland over the centuries .

Every thing/body is forgotten eventually . It will be about what the people of a certain time in the future believe is best for them . Admittedly the actions of the IRA may have pushed this time further ahead .

If we are not to forget the actions of the IRA should we also not forget the actions of the British and their proxy terrorists . Perhaps the British were controlling two sets of proxy terrorists....

We have been so lucky that the British were " A lovely bunch of Lads in Ireland "

Just as well they never turned nasty......

I think you wil find that practically all the damage and death caused by explosions during the troubles was committed by Republicans....98 or 99% of the explosions anyway.
    like the vatican all SF/IRA were afraid of was being exposed and that day has come

Understood. I was wandering down memory lane, [a sometimes unreliable avenue], and recalling tv depictions of 1916 - and one contemporary production from 1970. Interesting that one tv drama concerning 1916 was aired in 1969 - just as events were unfolding in the north.

Haven't most people in Ireland forgotten what the British have done in Ireland over the centuries .

Every thing/body is forgotten eventually . It will be about what the people of a certain time in the future believe is best for them . Admittedly the actions of the IRA may have pushed this time further ahead .

If we are not to forget the actions of the IRA should we also not forget the actions of the British and their proxy terrorists . Perhaps the British were controlling two sets of proxy terrorists....

We have been so lucky that the British were " A lovely bunch of Lads in Ireland "

Just as well they never turned nasty......
    the british soldiers were vicious *beep* but they're not in dail eireann atm acting like butter wouldnt melt

the british soldiers were vicious *beep* but they're not in dail eireann atm acting like butter wouldnt melt
    Could the Irish Independent newspaper and Fine Gael not get a few of them elected...........:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

SHE said, They gave me of their best,
    They lived, they gave their lives for me;
    I tossed them to the howling waste,
    And flung them to the foaming sea.

She said, I never gave them aught, 5
    Not mine the power, if mine the will;
    I let them starve, I let them bleed,”
    They bled and starved, and loved me still.

She said, Ten times they fought for me,
    Ten times they strove with might and main, 10
    Ten times I saw them beaten down,
    Ten times they rose, and fought again.

She said, I stayed alone at home,
    A dreary woman, grey and cold;
    I never asked them how they fared, 15
    Yet still they loved me as of old.

She said, I never called them sons,
    I almost ceased to breathe their name,
    Then caught it echoing down the wind,
    Blown backwards from the lips of Fame.20

She said, Not mine, not mine that fame;
    Far over sea, far over land,
    Cast forth like rubbish from my shores,
    They won it yonder, sword in hand.

She said, God knows they owe me nought, 25
    I tossed them to the foaming sea,
    I tossed them to the howling waste,
    Yet still their love comes home to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

But Gerry Adams (I'm sure your referring to) as put down the gun and has entered into parliamentary democracy. I think your attitude is very scornful of the progress we have made since.

You argue that the case that a United Ireland looks unlikely because of the atrocities carried about by the IRA. I would counter that argument by saying a United Ireland looks more likely now that little Britain decided to leave European Union.

Northern Ireland didn't even vote for Brexit, just shows how farcical the whole situation is.

I would counter that argument by saying a United Ireland looks more likely now that little Britain decided to leave European Union.

As several economists have said, it is likely the EU will not survive and IRExit is only a matter of time. Besides, there would be no border in these islands if it were not for Republicans.

As several economists have said, it is likely the EU will not survive and IRExit is only a matter of time. Besides, there would be no border in these islands if it were not for Republicans.
    the border made/continues to make a lot of money for people like slab murphy

as if SF/IRA are just going to give up that ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Absolutely and utterly irrelevant to the topic and has no bearing at all to what you are talking about.

It was perfectly in keeping with the flow of the discussion. Just because it makes uncomfortable reading for you doesn't mean you should be afraid of the discussion.

It would be poetic justice if a +50% vote for a UI in the north bounced it straight back into the EU via a united Ireland, wouldn't it?
    You can wish for something as much as you want. I wish to be a billionaire too. But I have heard it all before, the same thing will be said on this forum next year and the year after that and the year after that and so on. It is beyond boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I remember the phrase from an ITV Playhouse production decades ago.
    There was another with Patrick Troughton called "He Rises on Sunday and We on Monday".
    I doubt if works like these would stand up to modern scrutiny - probably too stage-Irish - yet the essential message would have been the same.
    There was a marvelous black comedy about the hotel that was continually being bombed - the Europa, I think it was called.
    One scene had a gigantic explosion heard outside - inside there was dust and smoke. "Don't worry sir," says the waiter to one of the guests, "it's just the British army making the place safe".

I'd love to see that comedy, trying to find it on Google

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

No borders only for republicans ? Can you flesh that out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Can you reference these economists?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

FTA69 wrote: »
    Sounds like your family is a shower of cringing forelock tuggers. Were they police informers as well?

Typical response I suppose. It's ironic that your lads call rat every time someone offers of an alternative view to our history, your paramiltary organisation was riddled with touts.

We had class and believed in parliamentary democracy, not violence and mindless killing.

Typical response I suppose. It's ironic that your lads call rat every time someone offers of an alternative view to our history, your paramiltary organisation was riddled with touts.

We had class and believed in parliamentary democracy, not violence and mindless killing.

Right so you oppose mindless killing but at the same time are cheerleading men who encouraged tens of thousands of Irishmen to get slaughtered in muddy fields by mustard gas and machine guns so the British Empire could stick it to the Germans over colonies and trade rivalry.

That makes sense alright.

The reality is that for all your moral posturing on the use of violence, you're fully and totally prepared to back state violence to the hilt; even the state violence of a foreign imperialist country directed against your own people. Someone else highlighted posts you made on this topic before - the slavish devotion to the idea that Ireland was in need of or deserving of colonisation from Britain.

Unfortunately we've always had people of that perspective in Ireland; those who would automatically side with power and privilege against the common good for some mad reason. Thankfully we've always had a few who would oppose that too.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see that comedy, trying to find it on Google
    If you do, let me know - helluva long time ago, though.
    Just had a quick look - no joy.
    Not surprising - it was broadcast in 1970!
    One of the cast was a very young Victor Meldrew - Richard Wilson.
    If you search for "Would you look at them etc.." you'll find the IMDb site which gives the cast and a little info.
    .............just been searching again, no luck. Almost all the searches take me to BBC programs - and this was ITV Comedy Playhouse.

Can you reference these economists?
    Wolfgang Münchau for one has made comments along those lines. ;)

Wolfgang Münchau for one has made comments along those lines. ;)

Nah, he hasn't. Well, imagine that: maryishere telling porkies once again...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

My great aunt Katie was in the GPO when they took it over. Wrote a letter home to the family describing it which we still have. Its fascinating though not exactly pro the rising, seems more concerned about the dead horses on the streets and disruption after (was written only few days later).

Nah, he hasn't. ..

Yes he has. "Ireland may have to consider leaving EU
    ‘Unsustainable business model’ in an EU where taxes are harmonised could see ‘Irexit’"

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/wolfgang-m%C3%BCnchau-ireland-may-have-to-consider-leaving-eu-1.2823535

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mr67stag

Touts were always the downfall of the the irish ,and the British knew how to pull the strings all to well.
    Eamonn Devalera was probaly Britians finest tout.
    Before the tirad of abuse for such a revalation ,consider the known fact.

Not excuted for his bit part in Easter rising on the grounds that he was a us citizen,begging for clemency with his US birth cert to the Embassy ,so we are told ,remember Tom Clarke was a US citizen also but so how with out the same luck.
    He turned his back very quickly on the the republician movement fairly rapid interning them during the war.
    Prefentel treatment for RAF during WW2.
    Lets not even mention his dodgy Irish Press share scam in the US which netted millions in todays terms.

mr67stag wrote: »
    Not excuted for his bit part in Easter rising on the grounds that he was a us citizen,begging for clemency with his US birth cert to the Embassy ,so we are told ,remember Tom Clarke was a US citizen also but so how with out the same luck.
    He turned his back very quickly on the the republician movement fairly rapid interning them during the war.
    Prefentel treatment for RAF during WW2.
    Lets not even mention his dodgy Irish Press share scam in the US which netted millions in todays terms.
    You forgot to mention that DeValera executed some IRA during WW2 too. He got great popular support for that, there was no outcry. Plus some died on hunger strike, but few cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Nah, he hasn't. Well, imagine that: maryishere telling porkies once again...
    constantly telling mince pies on every thread. Irish water being the biggie.

Super sad really. So bitter.

rafatoni wrote: »
    constantly telling mince pies on every thread.
    Thats you. I gave the source to back up my statement. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Thats you. I gave the source to back up my statement. ;)

Didn't back up what you actually said though did it?

Cut and paste back a few days and spreading disinformation like Churchill spread mustard gas in India.

Great bunch of lads though.

Jayop wrote: »
    Didn't back up what you actually said though did it?

It did if you read it. I provided the link.

The link doesn't back up what you initially said at all. That's a blatent untruth but we expect that around here.
    Yes he has. "Ireland may have to consider leaving EU
    ‘Unsustainable business model’ in an EU where taxes are harmonised could see ‘Irexit’"

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/wolfgang-m%C3%BCnchau-ireland-may-have-to-consider-leaving-eu-1.2823535

He said nothing of the sort. He said eventually it may be in Ireland's best interests to consider leaving the EU.

He didn't once say it was inevitable or that the EU would likely not survive.

Absolute complete and utter rubbish as expected.

Jayop wrote: »
    He said nothing of the sort.

Indeed and he did. And who was it that said
    "Ireland should signal to the World that it ill follow the UK if it leaves the EU. We can use the opportunity at th every least to negotiate a better deal on Debt, on Fishing, on Taxation, on Immigration, and on our Energy Policy.

Ireland needs free trade with China, Japan, India and the USA, and is prevented from having free trade through EU membership.

The EU accounted for €5,151 million or 53 percent of total goods exports of which €1,496 million went to Belgium and €1,153 million to Great Britain. The US was the main non-EU destination accounting for €2,329 million or 24 percent of total exports.

If Britain leaves the EU most of our trade would lie outside the EU and this is the market set to grow most.
    Leaving the EU would restore our Democracy, as a fundamental principle of democracy is that one government and Parliament cannot bind another. Greek voters learned they can no longer change economic policy, however bad the existing one may be.

The argument of Pooled Sovereignty making us stronger is nonsense as our politicians are in denial about how much power we have thrown away.

The Irish voice at the table of 28 is not heard or heeded. The EU is not a mutual benefit Trade Club. It is on a reckless ride to Political Union, based on Socialism and Stagnation.

The Single European Currency has been a disaster, and has been at the root of Ireland’s economic collapse of 2008. Being in the EU exposes us to the political tension in Eastern Europe and to the risk of energy security arising from withdrawal of access to Russian Gas."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Good lord Mary that's some amount of nonsense. I didn't think you were that keen on pushing your weird agenda that you've ignored almost everything in the news about the mess the UK is now in.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

...you've ignored almost everything in the news about the mess the UK is now in.

Even if you were to regurgitate what some sections of the Irish media say about "the mess the UK is now in", what has that to do with this thread?

• Advertisement

Good lord Mary that's some amount of nonsense. I didn't think you were that keen on pushing your weird agenda that you've ignored almost everything in the news about the mess the UK is now in.

And despite having her blatant mistruth pointed out and disproven she's carrying on regardless.

Is there a rule in Ah about backing up your claims and not posting false information? Serious question if anyone know the answer

Even if you were to regurgitate what some sections of the Irish media say about "the mess the UK is now in", what has that to do with this thread?

As much as the crap you're posting has to do with the Easter rising.

The Single European Currency has been a disaster, and has been at the root of Ireland’s economic collapse of 2008.

And the Irish government's own reckless domestic economic policy at the time had nothing to do with the collapse at all I suppose? Adoption of the euro did not mean that a sensible economic policy could not have been followed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You're the only advocating leaving the EU spouting the same sort of nonsense we got over here before the referendum without a shred of evidence.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Surprised there hasn't been a porn parody of this yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement