Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local facts and myths

Options
  • 16-04-2017 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Before it was river Corrib it was river Gailleamh, possibly meaning "rocky river" or from the name of a daughter of a chieftain that drowned in the river.

Comments

So is that a fact or a myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a fact as far as I can tell that Galway got its name from the river Gailleamh.

I have heard people say it's from "gall" meaning stranger/foreigner and that Galway would be the "town of foreigners" (like Donegal "Dún na nGall" means fort of foreigners").

Fact or myth?
    Lawrence of Arabia actor Peter O'Toole was born in Connemara
    200531717183358976.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Una Taffe was good looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Sting had a house in Roundstone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Una Taffe was good looking.
    Fact

U2 played one of their first concerts down in the claddagh in that building near the swans. (name escapes me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Fact

This I agree! There's a facebook page with old Galway photos to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

There's a small beach down in Renmore (Not Ballyloughane) that can only be accessed by hopping a fence in one of the housing estates. Quite a few people I know refer to it as Dead Mans Beach but I can't find much online as to where this name comes from. I've heard it's the beach where Columbus found the washed-up bodies that first led him to believe the Earth was round.

Anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Daledge wrote: »
    There's a small beach down in Renmore (Not Ballyloughane) that can only be accessed by hopping a fence in one of the housing estates. Quite a few people I know refer to it as Dead Mans Beach but I can't find much online as to where this name comes from. I've heard it's the beach where Columbus found the washed-up bodies that first led him to believe the Earth was round.

Previous thread.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056594074

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The Bay View B&B used to be haunted.

A chap from America used to come and paint the top of a stone in Lough Atalia yellow every time he was over. He called it crogán. He stopped coming and the stone has pretty much reverted back to grey. (He may also have been the person who painted the nearby mural with the Disney marching band singing I'm no stranger to the rain)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

I've been there, I know where it is. Was just wondering if anyone knew where the name came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Una Taffe was beautiful
    oirk0l.jpg

And yes, Sting lived in Roundstone. Not for long apparently, he left due to a threat by the IRA, which of course could be total twaddle, but that's what I remember was said when I was young

Greaney wrote: »

And yes, Sting lived in Roundstone. Not for long apparently, he left due to a threat by the IRA, which of course could be total twaddle, but that's what I remember was said when I was young

Bill Whelan owns the house now from what I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

The saying "wouldn't give you the time of day" comes from St Nicholas church, the clock facing the catholic church is blanked out, hence they wouldn't give them the time of day.

buzz11 wrote: »
    The saying "wouldn't give you the time of day" comes from St Nicholas church, the clock facing the catholic church is blanked out, hence they wouldn't give them the time of day.
    I like it but i think its fiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

ArtyC wrote: »
    This I agree! There's a facebook page with old Galway photos to prove it!

iVxdiuE.png

The gargoyles on St Nicholas' Cathedral were there to keep an eye out for Irish chieftains that might have entered the city after they were all kicked out once walled in. That's why they're all looking in different directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Anti-Santa is a millionaire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

U2 played one of their first concerts down in the claddagh in that building near the swans. (name escapes me)

I was told before that The Cellar Bar was the first gig that U2 played outside Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

The gargoyles on St Nicholas' Cathedral were there to keep an eye out for Irish chieftains that might have entered the city after they were all kicked out once walled in. That's why they're all looking in different directions.

We were out one night, when one of our friends told us the story of why there are only 3 clock faces on the tower. The clock face missing points towards the Claddagh because 'they didn't want to give the Catholics the time of day!'

Absolute complete rubbish, but to be fair, ingenious after a few!!!:):):)

Actually, we never did find out why one clock face is missing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

b.gud wrote: »

I was told before that The Cellar Bar was the first gig that U2 played outside Dublin
    U2 definitely didn't play in The Cellar, my father was manager/worked in there for 20 odd years. The Boomtown Rats did though, they were asked (nicely) many times by my dad and other barmen to turn down their amps as they were too loud and customers upstairs were complaining. After Geldof and the boys ignoring the many requests, my dad pulled the plug and fecked them out of the pub :D

b.gud wrote: »

you might be right, thought a friend of mine had a ticket stub from it, ill see if he still has.

We were out one night, when one of our friends told us the story of why there are only 3 clock faces on the tower. The clock face missing points towards the Claddagh because 'they didn't want to give the Catholics the time of day!'

Absolute complete rubbish, but to be fair, ingenious after a few!!!:):):)

Actually, we never did find out why one clock face is missing.....

its apparently a common belief if you look at this. https://galwayrambling.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/st-nicholas-collegiate-church/

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Anti-Santa is a millionaire

I've actually heard that. Not so much that he's a millionaire, but more that his land is worth millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't know if he's a millionaire but he certainly had a lot of money at one point. Interestingly, was looking at a picture of him the other day as a young man in his 20's. He was big into expensive motorbikes back then.

Can we steer this back to local facts and myths.

Discussion of individuals is generally ok when in a positive light, but if people start disclosing private details, as above, it may be unwanted by the person discussed and they have no chance to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

biko wrote: »
    Can we steer this back to local facts and myths.

Discussion of individuals is generally ok when in a positive light, but if people start disclosing private details, as above, it may be unwanted by the person discussed and they have no chance to respond.

Next time I see him I'll give him my tablet and he can respond :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Columbus in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Daledge wrote: »
    I've heard it's the beach where Columbus found the washed-up bodies that first led him to believe the Earth was round.

Yes, that's quite clearly nonsense.

Advertisement