Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can landlord check your previous addresses?

Options
  • 16-04-2017 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi,

I have very recently signed a contract to move in to a new renting accommodation in shared house. I didnt tell the truth about my previous address where I lived for last 3 years as it didnt end well and couldnt get a reference. I said to new landlord I lived somewhere else and got someone I know to do a reference for me pretending I lived with him. Can a landlord access information on my rental history? I have the contract signed but Im worrying that any day soon the landlord will approach me about this as he works through strict backround checking process.Information passed on to accounts team etc... I am living here one day with contract signed..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

I don't think so , as long as you pay your rent and cause no hassle in the new place that's all a landlord wants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

I don't think there's any central service that the landlord would legally have access to in order to verify your address history, but he might be able to figure out that you lied through circumstantial evidence (lack of matching PTRB registration, looking you up on Facebook to see if the contact you provided is in your social circle, ringing your former "landlord" pretending to be an interested tenant to see if he acts completely baffled or lets slip that he's never been a landlord, etc.) if he bothered to dig into it. The fact that he hasn't yet means he probably won't bother at this stage, though; if he cared to do a thorough vetting, he'd almost certainly have done it before signing anything with you.

A bigger concern is whether the cause of your previous tenancy ending badly will also affect your new tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Think you're ok at this stage. If anything the landlord would have looked for this information in a reference from your previous landlord prior to you signing.

Advertisement