Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Dickie10

bought stores at €67 in late july and €70 in mid august. fluke dose up now so going end of week have 34 ready, earlier ones averaged €115 without meal , these are all 48kg + so should kill out 22kg dead some will be up to 25kg dead but were under fluke w/d , so better than getting dead lambs. lambs out of kenmare have a heavy enough fluke burden need to be dosed twice. should have very few left come march 1

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Afternoon all,
    I wouldn't be too used of finishing lambs , so I was wondering how much nut per head should they be getting, they are out on good grass been fed from throughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

Fire it at them as much as they can eat only way to do them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Tileman

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Afternoon all,
    I wouldn't be too used of finishing lambs , so I was wondering how much nut per head should they be getting, they are out on good grass been fed from throughs.

Built it up slowly as u want them all to feed not just a couple to gorge themselves. Once they all get the taste of it they won’t be long eating more of it. I build it up to about 0.5 kg a head a day for 30 days and get a great return on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Dickie10

give them a week to 10 days to adjust to higher feeding rates then ad lib. i ahve mine feeding from creep feeder and cant keep it into them , be careful though of your ration or nut , i changed suppliers because the last one had too high a barley content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

When do you aim to sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭leoch

Does anybody here put out mineral lick buckets or rock salt for ram lambs when feeding alot of meal to make them drink more water and help the build up of calcium stones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

leoch wrote: »
    Does anybody here put out mineral lick buckets or rock salt for ram lambs when feeding alot of meal to make them drink more water and help the build up of calcium stones

There should be no need if feeding a lamb finishing ration. They should be formulated to minimise this risk. It should also include all the minerals required.

The risk of urinary calculi would be feeding high levels of a ewe and lamb ration to male sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭memorystick

How much would a lamb eat ad-lib?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭orm0nd

at current meal prices more than financially viable

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »

They’re getting half a kg each. €10 per day for meal for 53 lambs. Going to feed for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They’re getting half a kg each. €10 per day for meal for 53 lambs. Going to feed for 2 months.

Where are you paying that, I bought lamb finisher yesterday for €8.10, will probably finish at less than €8 when I pay my bill

wrangler wrote: »
    Where are you paying that, I bought lamb finisher yesterday for €8.10, will probably finish at less than €8 when I pay my bill

It’s Connolly number 3. It’s a nice cooked ration. My neighbour is paying €11 for a maize nut for his. Am I being rode again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It’s Connolly number 3. It’s a nice cooked ration. My neighbour is paying €11 for a maize nut for his. Am I being rode again?

They don't need that, a simple intensive lamb nut will do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭kk.man

That's the Rolls Rice of feed but as other poster says you could get a cheaper ration just pay attention to the ingredients.

Unless you've good grass, which nearly no one has , half a kilo isn't enough.
    Bad weather is against lambs at the moment, without grass they'd be only holding their own on half a kilo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭orm0nd

orm0nd wrote: »

OK when I posted this earlier I suppose i was still a bit fired up after being pricing feed for the coming couple of months. Apparently p costs have rocketed and any high energy high p nut is up on average 30 euro/ton on last year. Although I hope to get this back a bit.

Kinda takes some of the gloss off the good prices we've been getting.

Feeding a few culls and late lambs here a bit less than a kg/day of a finisher ration costing 8.50 a bag. They have access to silage ad lib as well.

They have grass but it’s getting very wet. They also have access to silage and a dry shed. They’ve been on meal now for 2 weeks. I’ll work towards 2 bags per day from Jan 1. They’re well dosed and very clean. Only a couple still lame. The meal is super quality and they love it. Would a creep feeder be a good investment and feed them ad-lib?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Coincidential rations have gone up at the same time sheep are going well.

They have grass but it’s getting very wet. They also have access to silage and a dry shed. They’ve been on meal now for 2 weeks. I’ll work towards 2 bags per day from Jan 1. They’re well dosed and very clean. Only a couple still lame. The meal is super quality and they love it. Would a creep feeder be a good investment and feed them ad-lib?

It's difficult to change them to a creep feeder once they're on troughs, very difficult to stop them sickening themselves, which doesn't seem to happen if they're on a creep feeder from the start. maybe others have a different experience ???
    If you go over .5kg in troughs they'll need to be fed twice a day, .5kg is enough in a feed

• Advertisement

It's difficult to change them to a creep feeder once they're on troughs, very difficult to stop them sickening themselves, which doesn't seem to happen if they're on a creep feeder from the start. maybe others have a different experience ???
    If you go over .5kg in troughs they'll need to be fed twice a day, .5kg is enough in a feed

I work and only get out in the evenings. Don’t live on the farm either. Would they not go and come back during the day? It’s that what they do with creep feeders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Rations containing maize are so expensive and the rolls royce of finishers when Straight 100% maize meal is bought for €6.65 a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

scotch ram lambs here are eating 1.2kg per day and gaining 220 grams a day in weight..lamb nuts are costing €250 per ton but was told next load are up €10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

When on it awhile lambs can eat up from 1.5 to 2 kgs a day. Anything over 1.25 in my opinion is of no benefit.

You wouldn’t want to put light lambs on ad-lib or they rob you, after about 6 weeks they just stall on it & very hard to lift them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭kk.man

I did that last year nearly lost 4 or 5.

kk.man wrote: »
    I did that last year nearly lost 4 or 5.

The advantage feeder is the job for the part time farmer,
    For changing from a trough it has the facility to restrict them and then gradually open the gap that they're eating out of over a couple weeks.
    If they're being trough fed they learn to eat as fast as they can to get more than the next lamb and then when they get a creep feeder they do the same, then they're sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

razor8 wrote: »
    When do you aim to sell them?

They weigh between 38-43kg so I will sell them as they become ready.

Could someone recommend a suitable creep feeder for hoggets? How does it restrict meal to each lamb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Could someone recommend a suitable creep feeder for hoggets? How does it restrict meal to each lamb?

I'm at a similar game to yourself Memory - I just got a new creep feeder, the advantage one.
    There is another thread on here named 3in1 feeder I think, have a read of that...

• Advertisement

The lambs have to reach to the feed with their tongue and take it in by the feed sticking to their tongue. Eventually the tongue gets dry and won't lift the feed and they have to go off and graze to wet the tongue again.
    The more the feed is restricted, the quicker the tongue dries and they eat less

One thing is very noticeable, with an ordinary creep feeder the lambs are always lying around the creep feeder but you'll seldom see them lying around the advantage feeder

Advertisement