Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm at a similar game to yourself Memory - I just got a new creep feeder, the advantage one.
    There is another thread on here named 3in1 feeder I think, have a read of that...

Which one did you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

I'm at a similar game to yourself Memory - I just got a new creep feeder, the advantage one.
    There is another thread on here named 3in1 feeder I think, have a read of that...

Did you go 500 or 800 and what's your impression of it? How are the lambs adjusting to it?

It’s Connolly number 3. It’s a nice cooked ration. My neighbour is paying €11 for a maize nut for his. Am I being rode again?

My ration is good enough, maize is first on the list of ingredients, then barley, beetpulp, wheat, oats, gluten and soya, very little rubbish in it and high energy.
    15% protein

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭arctictree

scotch ram lambs here are eating 1.2kg per day and gaining 220 grams a day in weight..lamb nuts are costing €250 per ton but was told next load are up €10

Doing some quick calculations:

Every 1 Kilo weight gain is probably about 4 euro from the Mart/Factory.

Takes 1/.22 = 4.54 days to gain a kilo. So thats 1.2kg x 4.54 = 5.448kg of meal needed to gain a kilo. Costs 0.25 euro for a kilo of meal, so thats 1.36 euro.

So costs 1.36 euro to get a return of 4 euro. Makes a lot of sense to throw meal into them now as opposed to selling them light....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

arctictree wrote: »
    Doing some quick calculations:

Every 1 Kilo weight gain is probably about 4 euro from the Mart/Factory.

Is that live weight or dead weight gain ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    Which one did you buy
    foxirl wrote: »
    Did you go 500 or 800 and what's your impression of it? How are the lambs adjusting to it?

The 500...

It only landed yesterday, it'll be Saturday before it goes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭arctictree

Is that live weight or dead weight gain ?

Live weight gain. Just rough estimate based on price difference between 40 and 50kg lambs that I see at the Mart....

arctictree wrote: »
    Live weight gain. Just rough estimate based on price difference between 40 and 50kg lambs that I see at the Mart....

when feeding that levels of meal they seem to be putting on nearly a kilo deadweight for every kilo live weight, our lambs go up from 46% ko to over 50% ko in about 4 or 5 weeks at 1kg meal/ day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭memorystick

If a lad was going to be feeding 100 lambs + every winter, should they purchase a creep feeder? Feeding meal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

If a lad was going to be feeding 100 lambs + every winter, should they purchase a creep feeder? Feeding meal anyway.

no, he should buy several creep feeders:D

• Advertisement

I thinks its recommended 40 to 60 lambs per cormac square feeder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I think lads are running away with themselves a bit. In ideal conditions (pick of grass, dry lie fair weather) well bred healthy lambs will do 2 kg live a week on 2kg meal a day. 280€ a tonne.
    €4.00 a week for hope fully €6.00 gross.

Now throw in real life, the wet, the muck the dead ones(and you will lose a lot more to meningitis, but b 12 issues,clostridial pneumonia than sheep just on maintaince on grass) , the weeks where gain is scarcely there at all. Been there done that.
    Grass and optimum stocking rate to not run short and kill in March to June is where every euro is your own. Or beet top or catch crops you have a chance.
    The feeders here went on done deal a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

wrangler wrote: »
    when feeding that levels of meal they seem to be putting on nearly a kilo deadweight for every kilo live weight, our lambs go up from 46% ko to over 50% ko in about 4 or 5 weeks at 1kg meal/ day

Well bred lambs on good land, lots of good pasture and well before winter sets in. A kg at the minute is even on good grass is like throwing a sausage up O’Connell street. 1 inch of rain last night here..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Jjameson wrote: »
    I think lads are running away with themselves a bit. In ideal conditions (pick of grass, dry lie fair weather) well bred healthy lambs will do 2 kg live a week on 2kg meal a day. 280€ a tonne.
    €4.00 a week for hope fully €6.00 gross.

Now throw in real life, the wet, the muck the dead ones
    Grass and optimum stocking rate to not run short and kill in March to June is where every euro is your own. Or beet top or catch crops you have a chance.
    The feeders here went on done deal a few years back.

Have to agree, I've never done well trying to push lambs outside, even with heavy mealing. Found it better to keep them ticking over and let the spring grass finish them instead.

The lambs are starting to rogue so mighty have to get them in. How long would a round bale of silage last 50 sheep that are on meal?

The lambs are starting to rogue so mighty have to get them in. How long would a round bale of silage last 50 sheep that are on meal?

If they're eating a lot of meal they'd eat very little silage
    80 Ewes eating .5kg meal here took 2.5 days to eat a bale, probably take 50 lambs 5 or 6 days .......it'd be starting to go off before that.
    How much meal are you thinking of giving

They’re getting 3/4 of a kg each and have loads of grass. Everywhere is wet. They have access to a shed and I have straw. Don’t really want to as they’re going to mart in 4 weeks time. I’d say they walk miles every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭kk.man

They’re getting 3/4 of a kg each and have loads of grass. Everywhere is wet. They have access to a shed and I have straw. Don’t really want to as they’re going to mart in 4 weeks time. I’d say they walk miles every day.

I know where you are coming from with them walking miles. IMO you be better off putting them in the shed for few weeks, they won't break you plus they will look way better in the mart when selling them especially stores.

They'd probably do with the straw rather than silage going off before they eat it .
    Weather is horrific, they could be actually losing weight

If I upped the meal to 1kg and a few forks of silage along the gate on straw bedding, they should do way better.

• Advertisement

If I upped the meal to 1kg and a few forks of silage along the gate on straw bedding, they should do way better.

Are you using silage apart from the lambs, If they were eating some straw they wouldn't need silage but if you can keep the silage fresh give it to them as well

No more couch to 5k for these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭White Clover

Fine shed there memory. What size and layout is it if you dont mind me being nosey?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Fine bunch there and fine setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ah ya brought them in. They won't cost you as much as you think for 4 weeks.

Fine shed there memory. What size and layout is it if you dont mind me being nosey?

No problem. It’s 6 spans long with 34 foot layback with a row of pens the far side of the feeding passage. It’s my only build so I decided to build it big enough on day 1. I can’t see myself buying anymore concrete and steel. 40 minutes had the foddering done. Bullocks and sheep so fairly straight forward.

Another view. I’ve a 30 second video of it during construction but it won’t allow me to upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭White Clover

No problem. It’s 6 spans long with 34 foot layback with a row of pens the far side of the feeding passage. It’s my only build so I decided to build it big enough on day 1. I can’t see myself buying anymore concrete and steel. 40 minutes had the foddering done. Bullocks and sheep so fairly straight forward.

Fabulous job. Is it a row of slats either side of the feed passage?

Another view. I’ve a 30 second video of it during construction but it won’t allow me to upload.

• Advertisement

Fabulous job. Is it a row of slats either side of the feed passage?

No. It’s dry bedding. My plan is to buy in cattle and I don’t like small cattle on slats. I’d over 100 in it last winter and a few minutes has it done.

Advertisement