Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I have about 5 acres of reseed coming how many lambs would I need to keep it trimmed for winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I have about 5 acres of reseed coming how many lambs would I need to keep it trimmed for winter?

i bought 30 lambs for same job last year. Think it was September. They had it well clipped by xmas anyway and i had to move them to another field.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

RobinBanks wrote: »
    i bought 30 lambs for same job last year. Think it was September. They had it well clipped by xmas anyway and i had to move them to another field.

I was thinking about 30 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭memorystick

Are still dear or are they starting to cool off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭kk.man

Are still dear or are they starting to cool off?

I have not been yo lamb sales yet however from reading reports they are slightly easier. It always said around these parts wait till first Sunday in September (was hurling final) and buy from there on. Usually lambs numbers peak in September but I suspect with good grass and alot of lambs gone it might not be for too long this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

kk.man wrote: »
    I have not been yo lamb sales yet however from reading reports they are slightly easier. It always said around these parts wait till first Sunday in September (was hurling final) and buy from there on. Usually lambs numbers peak in September but I suspect with good grass and alot of lambs gone it might not be for too long this year.

The lamb trade was still very sharp here in the North West during the last week. Any type of a ewe lamb in particular is a great trade but I see no value in lambs in general. Most of the show's and sale's are now over and there were seriously big entries of lambs again this week. This coupled with the fact that the sales started off and continued bigger weekly than usual all summer may mean that lamb numbers dry up earlier than usual. Having said that there's a lot of men have held out on buying lambs in the hope that the trade will cool off in the coming weeks so it's hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

The lamb trade was still very sharp here in the North West during the last week. Any type of a ewe lamb in particular is a great trade but I see no value in lambs in general. Most of the show's and sale's are now over and there were seriously big entries of lambs again this week. This coupled with the fact that the sales started off and continued bigger weekly than usual all summer may mean that lamb numbers dry up earlier than usual. Having said that there's a lot of men have held out on buying lambs in the hope that the trade will cool off in the coming weeks so it's hard to know.

How much were ewe lambs making Albert?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

bought around 120 today in Kenmare, coming up tomorrow. all ewes and wethers. that will do me for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Tileman

Dickie10 wrote: »
    bought around 120 today in Kenmare, coming up tomorrow. all ewes and wethers. that will do me for this year.

They must have been glad to see you coming. Prices must have been up for everyone else.
    What price did they make if you don’t mind .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

How much were ewe lambs making Albert?

It depends on the lamb tbh but any sort of a half decent ewe lamb of breeding potential, any colour and 30kg plus is a €100 or more. From there upwards and the sky is the limit atm. I saw big heavy brown faced suffolk ewe lambs circa 47kg making €133, apart from being big and strong I didn't see much special about them. Several pens of brocky ewe lambs made from €120-150 a piece depending on how nice there heads were.

Dowra on Saturday seemed to be similar if even slightly dearer, I wasn't there but seemingly brocky ewe lambs topped €192. I never pass much heed of the highest price but there looked to be several pens at circa €160 a piece so it wasn't a total flash in the pan. Nice ewe lambs are now making what similar hogget's would be selling for most years. It's not too many year's since you'd have your pick of hogget's at €170, now there's lambs making that and more and similar hogget's are €250.

• Advertisement

Tileman wrote: »
    They must have been glad to see you coming. Prices must have been up for everyone else.
    What price did they make if you don’t mind .

the auctioneer gave me the run of them on the phone the other day, i was at work so didnt get write them down, there a lighter lamb this load. ill get the paper work probably tomorrow. will post up recipt then.

Are flies and maggots a problem at the moment in lambs?

i used Ectoflits a month ago now and still good. much better than Hygia

Here’s the recent batch of stores from Kerry and docket

Best of luck. They don’t seem over dear.

That's good value there.. U won't go wrong. Much better value than Eastern seaboard Marts. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

Is the store and hogget trade dieing back a bit this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Tileman

Jd310 wrote: »
    Is the store and hogget trade dieing back a bit this week?

I’d say there is a week or two left in it yet. Depends on the weather I’d say. I if it gets wet lads might lose interest or they might them more to graze if cattle are being put into a shed.

Me I’m going to hand on another week or two to see if the steam hire out of them. If the factories cut the price later in the year there will be no profit in buying in stores at current prices

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

Dearer they're getting. Crazy trade in Mountbellew on saturday. Increase in factory quotes driving the trade for stores.

Dearer they're getting. Crazy trade in Mountbellew on saturday. Increase in factory quotes driving the trade for stores.

I agree they are getting dearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

What are 35kg good Charollais store lambs making? Ewes and weathers .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Jaysus lads, don't be talking down the price please!

Jaysus lads, don't be talking down the price please!

White gold indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

White gold indeed

True!! Just saw 27.9kg make €78 in New Ross

True!! Just saw 27.9kg make €78 in New Ross

You’ll soon see lads who got out of tillage to get into suckers who then went to milk now getting into sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Hi
    Planning on buying stores to clean up the place over the winter. Fencing is fairly good. Sheep wire on some a d I can put a few strands of mains electric fence on the rest. What's the best breed to buy, best weight to buy at and do I need a flock number. Suckler farmer so complete novice on sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sandman30

Hi
    Planning on buying stores to clean up the place over the winter. Fencing is fairly good. Sheep wire on some a d I can put a few strands of mains electric fence on the rest. What's the best breed to buy, best weight to buy at and do I need a flock number. Suckler farmer so complete novice on sheep

Store lambs are making record prices this year, so probably not the best year to be making your first foray into the market. Margins are likely going to be very tight for a lot of lambs purchased this year. Would probably be more profitable to sell your grass to a sheep farmer on a price per head per day.

To answer your question it depends when you plan to sell them. You can buy lighter lambs to sell off grass next April or forward stores to finish in a month, depending what suits your fodder situation. Just be aware, lambs won't really thrive if they are just "cleaning up the place"; they need very good grass. They also won't thrive if they go lame (which they often do) so really best to have footbathing and handling facilities.

Continental lambs will grow faster and have a better feed conversion ratio than horned or crossbred lambs, so worth more, particularly if you were planning to fatten on meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

sandman30 wrote: »
    Store lambs are making record prices this year, so probably not the best year to be making your first foray into the market. Margins are likely going to be very tight for a lot of lambs purchased this year. Would probably be more profitable to sell your grass to a sheep farmer on a price per head per day.

To answer your question it depends when you plan to sell them. You can buy lighter lambs to sell off grass next April or forward stores to finish in a month, depending what suits your fodder situation. Just be aware, lambs won't really thrive if they are just "cleaning up the place"; they need very good grass. They also won't thrive if they go lame (which they often do) so really best to have footbathing and handling facilities.

Continental lambs will grow faster and have a better feed conversion ratio than horned or crossbred lambs, so worth more, particularly if you were planning to fatten on meal.

Same as OP hoping to get a few store lambs, have no experience with them, they are for a field around the house that is very wet so my thinking is sheep will be the best to keep it tidy and cleaned off without poaching it. So not overly worried if they leave money this year if they broke even would be happy as I am treating it nearly as an experiment to see how I get on with them, and if they go well might get into more in future (sick of beef prices)!
    Plan is to get this small field and another fenced properly by a contractor so will at least have comfort that they won't be breaking out, and can swap from one field to the other.
    Was thinking 15 store lambs for the 2 fields which are about 3 acres in total,(would also have another 3 acre field but might not be fenced enough to keep them). Have them ready for the factory in April. So to ask the same question, what breed, weight and price should I be thinking of.
    Also on the lameness as the field is wet would I be right in thinking lameness would definitely be a problem. On the footbathing I could make a small pin in the field with gates and can borrow footbaths but do the sheep not have to go on concrete after footbathing for it to be effective?
    Sorry for all the questions. Appreciate any advice

hope not too many get into sheep and flood the market. i was hoping decent prices would go under the radar of people! maybe the hardship involved in sheep will scare people away after a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

hope not too many get into sheep and flood the market.

The Irish national flock is around 5.5 million compared to around 35 million in UK. If they can't sell their sheep into the EU after brexit, then that's some hole to fill. Impossible for us to flood the market.

Advertisement