Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The Irish national flock is around 5.5 million compared to around 35 million in UK. If they can't sell their sheep into the EU after brexit, then that's some hole to fill. Impossible for us to flood the market.

Ireland has less than 3m breeding ewes or are you referring to all sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Ireland has less than 3m breeding ewes or are you referring to all sheep

I googled it last night and your right, the figure it gave me must have included all sheep. At a figure of 3m its even a wider gap between the size of both flocks. All depends on what happens with brexit next, so see where we go after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

weighed some of the first batch of lambs from Kerry yesterday , pulled 15 out of the 98 bought that were 45-50 kg. dont know whether to sell them keep them on with my own ewe lambs or kill them in factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dickie10 wrote: »
    weighed some of the first batch of lambs from Kerry yesterday , pulled 15 out of the 98 bought that were 45-50 kg. dont know whether to sell them keep them on with my own ewe lambs or kill them in factory.

What would they kill in factory, would u not need the heavier?

Lads, what's the story with selling culls / stores / hoggets in marts these days. Is it back to normal except with masks or is it online ? Haven't been to one since last year and have abit of stock to sell

• Advertisement

Lads, what's the story with selling culls / stores / hoggets in marts these days. Is it back to normal except with masks or is it online ? Haven't been to one since last year and have abit of stock to sell

Masks mandatory, only difference

Masks mandatory, only difference

That grand, you go into the sellers box, to instruct auctioneer etc ? Roscrea would be place of be heading

That grand, you go into the sellers box, to instruct auctioneer etc ? Roscrea would be place of be heading

For cattle you do, they stand above pens in sheep marts around here

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Heard that the reason lamb trade is so strong is because the wild fires in Australia caused a lamb shortage this year, with lots of stock being lost.

Bought 40 ewe lambs last week privately in the hope the Breeding Hogg trade stays strong till next summer.

Sold some lately. Usual craic is stand over the pens and sell. Covid craic is everything through the ring. Registered sellers line up (sfa distancing) and only socially distanced registered buyers allowed into the ring. Everyone I saw was wearing masks around the ring and going into the box, but the majority in the yard were not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭orm0nd

limited numbers allowed in ring, if you want to get into the ring queue early outside the door from the front main entrance

on the market from the onset and you say yes or no.

that was the set up a few weeks ago, I called coming back from the factory and wasn't let in , was interested in few ewe lambs for a neighbour. guy on door was very apologetic , but house was full, (mostly from on lookers who had no business to do. )

even though it's farther from us we're going to cahir now for whatever we buy /sell in marts, a good few locals here likewise,

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Heard that the reason lamb trade is so strong is because the wild fires in Australia caused a lamb shortage this year, with lots of stock being lost.

Bought 40 ewe lambs last week privately in the hope the Breeding Hogg trade stays strong till next summer.

Dont know how much i would read into that, i think Australian lamb into EU is tiny amount. they go all to south east Asia and China. Could be factory agent spinning that. Its British lamb supply down thats whats keeping the floor.

orm0nd wrote: »

even though it's farther from us we're going to cahir now for whatever we buy /sell in marts, a good few locals here likewise,

I heard chair is better for butchers lambs etc, Haven't been there for a few years, but last time I found booking in the sheep more awkward in cahir, I think youd to go up and down to office at the opposite end of building with paperwork or something, yo where you offload sheep whereas in roscrea the booking office is where you offload the sheep. Could be all changed now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭memorystick

Are they still dear?

Are they still dear?

Getting dearer by the day;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Are they still dear?

Depends on whether you're buying or selling:P

Depends on whether you're buying or selling:P

Seemed tone a slight easing today according to Kenmare report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Tileman

Seemed tone a slight easing today according to Kenmare report.

I’d say ground dried up means cattle can stay out longer and eat grass. Also allot of new sheep farmers might have got their first dose of maggots this week too and might make them less attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Tileman wrote: »
    I’d say ground dried up means cattle can stay out longer and eat grass. Also allot of new sheep farmers might have got their first dose of maggots this week too and might make them less attractive.

The factory price dropping 20 cent this week might be a dose of reality for some who bought early in the summer as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Tileman

The factory price dropping 20 cent this week might be a dose of reality for some who bought early in the summer as well!

Well earlier in the summer wasn’t too bad but lads that bought in the past few week Practically paid full factory price for then and won’t make anything out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Factory prices won't drop much, we may even see prices harden again in the coming weeks. Numbers just aren't there. I'm hearing of smaller marts already this week. Anyone else hear this? This would indicate stores getting scarce too.

Factory prices won't drop much, we may even see prices harden again in the coming weeks. Numbers just aren't there. I'm hearing of smaller marts already this week. Anyone else hear this? This would indicate stores getting scarce too.

Wasn't there today but tullow was packed

With lambs or customers?

With lambs or customers?

Cork/Kerry marts is all I know of. What type of sheep would be predominantly sold in Tullow?

pulled 15 lambs from the first kerry batch that arrived early august, 45-50 kg 10 days ago , no meal might go withem end of the week. never seen lambs pile on weight so quick that batch was 34kg average when they landed

With lambs or customers?

Sheep, they were still selling at 5 this evening seemly.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

Alot quieter in tuam this evening. Sold 2 lots of ewe lambs for 135. only 4 lines of lambs altogether.

Sheep, they were still selling at 5 this evening seemly.

Marteye suggests they finished selling around 1pm. Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Alot quieter in tuam this evening. Sold 2 lots of ewe lambs for 135. only 4 lines of lambs altogether.

What weight were the ewe lambs? 135 is a great price...

Advertisement