Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I usually buy in autumn and sell in spring. You’d never see a batch of 50-55 kgs rams for sale before spring lamb.

Sold 56kg horned ram lambs last February. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Can anyone tell me what's the going rate to get a lad to buy and deliver lambs would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Tileman

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what's the going rate to get a lad to buy and deliver lambs would be?

4-5€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭memorystick

Do I need to give store lambs a second vaccine shot? All bought at end of September. No blackleg on farm. Doing for cobalt some dry day soon. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Yes, the first shot will take the level up for only 6 weeks and then the level of protection will decrease again. But if you give the 2th booster in that 4 to 6 week period, after the first shot, the lambs will have protection for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Yes, the first shot will take the level up for only 6 weeks and then the level of protection will decrease again. But if you give the 2th booster in that 4 to 6 week period, after the first shot, the lambs will have protection for life.

Clostridial diseases are more common in the winter too. protection lasts for 12 mths with two injections, as you say very little protection in one injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Sold 36kg weather lambs today in mart for E98, got no meal at all, started feeding some heavier lambs 42 and 43kgs last week and thinking now maybe it's madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Sold 36kg weather lambs today in mart for E98, got no meal at all, started feeding some heavier lambs 42 and 43kgs last week and thinking now maybe it's madness

Fair play you got a great price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think stores are too dear for the buyer but the seller needs the money they are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭orm0nd

kk.man wrote: »
    I think stores are too dear for the buyer but the seller needs the money they are getting.

same as most aspects of farming

store cattle

weanlings

baled silage

straw,

land rental
    etc
    etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Sold 38.5kg ewe lambs today @€;100. Very good vendeen and Charolais lambs that weighed bad off wet heavy land, the next man will do well and good luck to him as I’m happy too.

Their comrade ram lambs aren’t bringing the difference in meal they have consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

razor8 wrote: »
    Plenty of them sold around here.

Butchers are afraid to buy a ram as one bad experience will lose him custom

It seemed an issue few years ago but any research done lately have all indicated no issue with taste. Ram lambs are actually a lot leaner

Only advantage of castrating is if they are mixed you could end up with some unwanted pregnancies next spring

one feed of stinky ram for those researchers would put that right......ram taint is a huge problem and is limiting lamb consumption and is easily avoided

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    one feed of stinky ram for those researchers would put that right......ram taint is a huge problem and is limiting lamb consumption and is easily avoided

I don't have lamb when I'm out for that reason, too many poor meals.
    Also seeing some of the ram lambs that go into the factory . Local hotel has fed their own store lambs to ensure quality. Those that have to meet the customer will tell you different than the scientists

wrangler wrote: »
    Also seeing some of the ram lambs that go into the factory . Local hotel has fed their own store lambs to ensure quality. Those that have to meet the customer will tell you different than the scientists

Intensively ad lib meal fed Ram lambs off brassicas stink in the lairage. I get queasy thinking about it on a plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Jjameson wrote: »
    Intensively ad lib meal fed Ram lambs off brassicas stink in the lairage. I get queasy thinking about it on a plate!

Maybe we'd be saying the same about of beef, pigs or chickens, if we worked with them every day. Or even the amount of chemicals that go into cheaply imported veg or crops from less regulated parts of the world ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think ram lambs after november should be less money , make more squeez lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

It's a massive problem - restaurants and hotels serving ram tainted lamb.
    Customers who wouldn't cook lamb at home get turned off thinking that this is what all lamb tastes like.
    Also think it's funny that the scientific studies claim no difference!
    Hard to know what the solution is.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    It's a massive problem - restaurants and hotels serving ram tainted lamb.
    Customers who wouldn't cook lamb at home get turned off thinking that this is what all lamb tastes like.
    Also think it's funny that the scientific studies claim no difference!
    Hard to know what the solution is.

A hotel manager won one of our freezer lambs in a local raffle and the word he used for the taste was ''divine' and I've sold him lambs since. there's something wrong out there with the presentation of lamb and that's for sure.
    I was at a meeting years ago where Seamus Hanrahan (teagasc) and Bertie Mannion (Kepak) had an argument about ram taint, Bertie claimed there was a problem and Hanrahan wouldn't hear of it, You couldn't discuss anything with Hanrahan he was so arrogant.

A hotel manager won one of our freezer lambs in a local raffle and the word he used for the taste was ''divine' and I've sold him lambs since. there's something wrong out there with the presentation of lamb and that's for sure.
    I was at a meeting years ago where Seamus Hanrahan (teagasc) and Bertie Mannion (Kepak) had an argument about ram taint, Bertie claimed there was a problem and Hanrahan wouldn't hear of it, You couldn't discuss anything with Hanrahan he was so arrogant.

Don’t forget our target export consumer has no qualms about the taste.
    It’s just about making the effort to ensure no ram lamb ended up in our domestic market from mid august on to when the new season “ earlies” come again.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think ram lambs after november should be less money , make more squeez lambs

Up to what size can you castrate to? Is there any point if you can keep them on their own and sell around 45 kgs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

problem is lads keeping them on as hoggets til january and february

Up to what size can you castrate to? Is there any point if you can keep them on their own and sell around 45 kgs?

There is no reason to castrate if the factories don't differentiate. The only reason I do it is for management, I can run them together with the ewe lambs without them ''chasing''. I find lambs with Lleyn in them mature early and between their breed characteristics and them running around, i find it difficult to achieve a proper finish on the ram lambs, Castrated they finish same as the rest

There is no reason to castrate if the factories don't differentiate. The only reason I do it is for management, I can run them together with the ewe lambs without them ''chasing''. I find lambs with Lleyn in them mature early and between their breed characteristics and them running around, i find it difficult to achieve a proper finish on the ram lambs, Castrated they finish same as the rest
    I haven't taken out the burdizzo all year for that reason.

I’ve lambs that I’ll be selling in mid February as I’ve a week off work. Is it feasible to feed meal for 70 days at a about 0.5 Kgs each of a nice ration or is it too long? Will be selling live in mart. Thanks

I’ve lambs that I’ll be selling in mid February as I’ve a week off work. Is it feasible to feed meal for 70 days at a about 0.5 Kgs each of a nice ration or is it too long? Will be selling live in mart. Thanks

Lot of variables there but the big drivers would be the finish price and second were they in a shed with labour and all fodder costs.

Yes definitely. That’s come to around a tenner but it stretches grass, keep them out of the briars and they’d surely weigh 5 kg heavier than without.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Yes definitely. That’s come to around a tenner but it stretches grass, keep them out of the briars and they’d surely weigh 5 kg heavier than without.

They’re a very mixed bag. Bought last week in September

What profit are stores making at the moment for lads who bought last summer?

What profit are stores making at the moment for lads who bought last summer?

I bought 60 odd in august to go with the tails of my own home bred., wethers, 37 kgs 85€. All sold between 105€ to €125. Lost none thank god, probably 15€ of meal ahead at least.
    They cost prob a 10€ more than last year but brought it at the other end.
    I’m happy enough.

• Advertisement

Very little fat lamb out there UK the same. Agents killed an aulful amount of lambs not even fat.

One way its going.

Advertisement