Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celing light wiring question

Options
  • 16-04-2017 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi guys

I have been tasked with fitting a ceiling light. It's a hanging type one with a chain and the cable intertwined through it.

Anyway, the wires had already been disconnected from their wiring block and so I cannot tell which is L, N or E; the problem is that the wires do not have the standard brown, blue and green/yellow colour coding.

The cable is not like any I've seen before. The actual wire itself is silvery in colour and is coated in clear plastic. The three strands are then in turn again coated in clear plastic.

When I had a really close look at the wires I could see a thin line of blue running down the length of one of them, white along another and the third one does not seem to have any colour.

Can anyone advise as to which of them is at least the earth?

Thanks,
    JV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

Reading ur post I'd imagine the blue is neutral. I'd say the clear 1 is earth, best way to tell wud be to check for continuity with a multimeter check between the clear core and any metal part of the fitting.

Advertisement