Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just want to play a song Google home!

Options
  • 16-04-2017 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Have had the G home for about a week, and one aspect i am not liking is the non-ability to play music when asked.

I dont want to pay a google music or spotify premium. I have a lot of music locally on a NAS and between youtube and VEVO i can get any song i can think of via those on my laptop/android box etc.

But simply asking G home to "play ACDC on youtube" results in her telling me that i need to sign up for the premium account on youtube Red.

Anyway around this that anyone has found? as its a let down for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Access wrote: »
    Have had the G home for about a week, and one aspect i am not liking is the non-ability to play music when asked.

I dont want to pay a google music or spotify premium. I have a lot of music locally on a NAS and between youtube and VEVO i can get any song i can think of via those on my laptop/android box etc.

But simply asking G home to "play ACDC on youtube" results in her telling me that i need to sign up for the premium account on youtube Red.

Anyway around this that anyone has found? as its a let down for me.

Use Spotify or google play music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Use Spotify or google play music

Point being i dont want to pay for a subscription to either. There has to be other options surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Access wrote: »
    Point being i dont want to pay for a subscription to either. There has to be other options surely?

Spotify free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Upload some music to Google Play Music, it's free to play your own music, you can upload 50,000 songs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Upload some music to Google Play Music, it's free to play your own music, you can upload 50,000 songs

Spotted this, but it seems you cant play single files... only playlsits according to the IOT G home FAQ

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You only good options are paid options, simple as that, unfortunately.

You can play radio with Tunein

And as The high horse brigade mentions, you can upload music to Google Play Music for free. You can then create playlists from this music and play the playlist, however it is still a bit limited.

The thing is, Spotify Premium is so awesome, it is worth every penny. If you look on the Bargain Alerts forum you will find a thread on how to get Spotify Premium for ridiculously cheap. Get that deal and never bother again with storing your own music and these workarounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

As far as I know, Spotify Free works on the GHome. It's worth signing up to the paid versions though, especially if you're going to be playing a lot of music.

Scratch that, you'll need a paid account to work on Google Home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Google play music do a family deal for €15 a month, that's 5 gmail users, can be anyone. The playlists are just as good as Spotify and they mix your own uploaded songs into them. Thumbs up a few songs and your lists will get better. For a time I used hop between Spotify and Google music for playlist variety but not anymore, I stick with Google now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I think you can have GH play from a Plex media server via something called "Phlex".

I use Plex for Movies but also pay for Google Music so haven't tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Google play music do a family deal for €15 a month, that's 5 gmail users, can be anyone. The playlists are just as good as Spotify and they mix your own uploaded songs into them. Thumbs up a few songs and your lists will get better. For a time I used hop between Spotify and Google music for playlist variety but not anymore, I stick with Google now.

6 I think, the main account plus 5 'family' members.

• Advertisement
Advertisement