Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best course of action now?

Options
  • 16-04-2017 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Before I proceed I know I've been stupid so not looking for people telling me so, as I now know full well. I only have my full licence 1.5 years so I am not well versed in all of this.

Got 3 penalty points mid last year for going 60 in a 50 zone. Did not declare to insurer at the time. Renewed insurance recently with same insurer and did not disclose the points.

Yesterday I got another fixed penalty for breaking a red light at what I thought was an unclearly marked junction.

Now as it will soon be 6 points on my licence I want to tell my insurer.

How are they likely to react? Increase my premium greatly/cancel my policy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jasper_ wrote: »
    Before I proceed I know I've been stupid so not looking for people telling me so, as I now know full well. I only have my full licence 1.5 years so I am not well versed in all of this.

Got 3 penalty points mid last year for going 60 in a 50 zone. Did not declare to insurer at the time. Renewed insurance recently with same insurer and did not disclose the points.

Yesterday I got another fixed penalty for breaking a red light at what I thought was an unclearly marked junction.

Just ring them and tell them.

They won't cancel your policy.

They may add the PP's and charge you whatever rate they apply for 6.

Its possible they won't do anything until next renewal.

Better to disclose them though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

i have to ask, if its unclearly marked junction how the hell did you break a red light, is the traffic light hidden?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

judeboy101 wrote: »
    i have to ask, if its unclearly marked junction how the hell did you break a red light, is the traffic light hidden?

No but the garda car was lol

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jasper_

judeboy101 wrote: »

It seemed unclear at the time I made the decision is all I'm saying. I don't dispute I was in the wrong. Just saying that it was misjudgment on my part as apposed to knowingly doing it.

Me explaining the layout of said junction will help absolutely nothing right now.

Reati wrote: »
    No but the garda car was lol

Unmarked of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

So you now have 6 points? So 1 more point and disqualification because you are still a novice driver?

Skatedude wrote: »
    So you now have 6 points? So 1 more point and disqualification because you are still a novice driver?

I am painfully aware of this fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

So when you were asked if you had any penalty points did you say no??

So when you were asked if you had any penalty points did you say no??

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

You didn't disclose a material fact. They may decide that your policy is void. I think maybe until you get it sorted it may be wiser not to drive. I think you need to call them tomorrow and speak to them. Be totally honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Just ring them and tell them OP....they may decide to load you or more likely void your policy altogether for Non-Disclosure which they'd be well within their rights to do.

You'll also have to tell future insurers about the points and the fact that you didn't disclose them so you'll continue to be loaded and may have difficulty getting cover at all to begin with.

You made the conscious decision to lie/withhold information so you're just going to have to take the outcome on the chin and learn from it.

Advertisement