Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a non stick frying pan that wont break the bank

Options
  • 16-04-2017 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

Can anyone recommend a good pan for making spanish omlettes that has good non stick properties ?

In an ideal world Id get a le creuset tough and non stick but they are way too pricey .

The pan I have is a green pan brand and I am not impressed . Since day one everything that I fry in it has baked to the bottom .

Thanks ,

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

there was a tread a couple of days ago on good pans,i recommend bourheat which all chefs use,also there was loads of other recomomdations from loads of posters on here, which will help. Bourheat pots and Pans will defo help your cooking go to a new level

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

The hubby came home with a lightweight non stick from Aldi last week. It's pretty impressive. I've a selection in the press from heavy expensive jobs, to ceramic yet this one from Aldi is putting most of them to shame. Used mostly for crepes/pancakes and omelettes).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I got this one http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/frying-pans-woks/skÀnka-frying-pan-grey-art-00129456/from Ikea around 5 years ago and it's still going strong. It's pretty good quality for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I've bought the Tefal non stick in Heatons and lasts about 2 years.
    They vary in price from 14 upwards.
    Couldn't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have not heard of any that can stand up to good heats. As the OP wants it for omlettes then I would solely use the pan for omlettes or other low temp things, like pancakes.

I was given a non stick griddle pan which was destroyed by a housemate before I even got to use it. He was doing a steak on it. Griddle pans or woks are usually used at very high heat and so not suitable to have a non stick coating on them. Unless there is some high temp one I do not know of (other than seasoning)
    ellejay wrote: »
    lasts about 2 years.

Couldn't fault them.
    I would consider a 2 year lifespan to be a "fault", but maybe you use it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

Homestore and more usually have deals on nonstick pans...

Edit: here is a link:
    http//www.homestoreandmore.ie/cooking/frying-pans/icat/kitfrypan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

rubadub wrote: »
    I have not heard of any that can stand up to good heats. As the OP wants it for omlettes then I would solely use the pan for omlettes or other low temp things, like pancakes.

I was given a non stick griddle pan which was destroyed by a housemate before I even got to use it. He was doing a steak on it. Griddle pans or woks are usually used at very high heat and so not suitable to have a non stick coating on them. Unless there is some high temp one I do not know of (other than seasoning)

I would consider a 2 year lifespan to be a "fault", but maybe you use it a lot.

I wash it in the dishwasher regularly so assumed that was the problem re lifespan.
    What is the general lifespan?
    Use it a couple of times a week I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

coleslaw wrote: »
    there was a tread a couple of days ago on good pans,i recommend bourheat which all chefs use,also there was loads of other recomomdations from loads of posters on here, which will help. Bourheat pots and Pans will defo help your cooking go to a new level

Went with a bourgeat pan in the end , orederd it from Nisbits catering supplies who do next day delivery . Very impressed with the non stick and it looks like a well made piece . Time will tell if its non stick coating lasts .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ellejay wrote: »
    I wash it in the dishwasher regularly so assumed that was the problem re lifespan.
    What is the general lifespan?
    Use it a couple of times a week I guess

I got one in TK Maxx about 10 years ago and it's always washed in the dishwasher. It's had stuff burned on and scraped off, and been generally abused, and it's still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just an fyi for anyone with pet birds/small animals reading this thread; if you overheat most non-stick pans they release gases which can very easily kill your pets, so avoid if at all possible.

http://www.ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen/teflon-offgas-studies

At higher temperatures, teflon emits even nastier gases which have caused illness and damage to people as well as killing birds and small animals.

I only use cast iron these days, even for crepes -as long as it is well-seasoned and only wiped and not scrubbed with detergent after use, a cast iron pan is as non-stick as you'll ever need.

Advertisement