Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanium frame for bike tour: any advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

That is incredible ... Kristof Allegaert carry only 3kg...
    But those ultra endurance guys & gals sleep in a tiny bivy under bus stops, by roadsides.... Whereever they can!

I think Jesse Carlsson rode a steel Curve bike on the Indi Pac...

It is interesting about Titanium... A beautiful finish, no rust, but very difficult to work the metal....
    And then Lumen mentioned how the welds have been know to crack/fail...

Whereas Steel is viewed as a nearly outdated material...
    But it is easier to work, mend & extremely strong & much lighter than the frames of my Dad & Grandads time.....

I am thinking a steel bike with a brushed finish akin to Ti would be very nice!

A

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

smacl wrote: »
    I range enquiring about their ti Audax a couple of years back and they had no problems delivering to Ireland. For a tourer I'd also be throwing a hub dynamo wheel into the build.

Yes to the hub dynamo. Only saw the light this year (excuse the pun) but it's brilliant. Always have a good quality light, can charge phone and gps on the go and the wheels are bomb proof

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I also have a love for titanium.

The fact that I have a top tube's worth of it in my right leg may have something to do with that!

Weepsie! Re the dynamo hub...

1) say a solid 100-130km rolling day... how much of a charge would the hub generate for a standard smartphone, Garmin & lights?

2) can you tell me what spokes & hub did you use?

Velo2010... what happened your leg?

A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Arequipa wrote: »

Velo2010... what happened your leg?

A

Ah, I broke it a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Ah okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I'd prefer steel ( aside from the Yukon). But it must be said that the problem with ti joints has improved a lot in recent years. I think the choice between either or is largely subjective. The design of the frame, rather than material, has more to do with what type of load it will carry. If its for light touring than this wont be much of a problem.

I disagree with Brownian on mudguards. Getting wet and cold sucks, especially when you still have hours to go to the next stop. Although panniers/ saddle bag protect the rear, your feet will still get wet from the front wheel splash. Mudguards give you the option of riding a long day in comfort, in different climates at different times of the year. Together with a hub dynamo they add a lot of versatility.

For credit card/ light touring I'd aim for to bring little as possible. I managed 5 kilos for 10 days light touring and that wasn't being ruthless with packing. On the IndyPac, Kristof Allegaert had about 3 kilos for the entire ride.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/o4a-QEVUsXc/hqdefault.jpg

I agree that mudguards do lead to a happier body and bike. I was just saying that I don't use them, and that the bags catch a lot of the muck...but guards would be better.

On a week-long tour (staying in B&Bs) I aim for 2.5/3 kg, in an alpkit dry bag that attaches to the back of my B17 with two nylon-webbing straps. A bit of clothes washing each day, wring out in a towel...away you go.

Advertisement