Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apparently we're all gay.*

Options
  • 16-04-2017 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

I may not have posted here in a while, and I may never have spoken about my hatred of Vince Russo, but this is where I do both.

Back in the mid 90's I bought a satellite dish so that I could watch WCW's Monday Nitro on a Friday night with my friends.
    Those of you outside the greater Dublin area were able to watch if you had cable tv, but that was when there was two carriers in the country. I can't remember the names. It was Cablelink and chorus, or something.

Anyway, I watched the demise of the once great WCW under the rule of Russo, and I've despised him ever since.

Tonight I found this on youtube, and while some of you may not like Cornette, I think he's great.

Russo has become more and more of a complete wanker over the years.

*Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We made him a crap load of $$$$ no matter what status we may take

Pro wrestling is a show and we love it. The sameway people love GOT/eastenders/movies etc, it's not real but it's great. It's creates memories, shock moments etc. Wrestling makes people's dreams come true (kids dream esp)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Dude, it's OUR fault (as a wrestling fan community) that we keep Russo in business. He makes troll comments, and he keeps driving interest in newsletters/discussion forums etc, and keeps getting work. I'm guilty of it too, sure I paid for tickets to see Russo's talk in Dublin! (It was a lot of fun btw). We're being worked, we allow it, and we give him is power. Even what we're doing right now, giving him attention, he feeds off it and makes a living from it, by parlaying it into paid work -- PodcastOne, YouTube Ad revenue, jobs with IPW:UK, AAW (Australia) etc. So if you wanna hurt him where it counts...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

jaykhunter wrote:
    Dude, it's OUR fault (as a wrestling fan community) that we keep Russo in business. He makes troll comments, and he keeps driving interest in newsletters/discussion forums etc, and keeps getting work. I'm guilty of it too, sure I paid for tickets to see Russo's talk in Dublin! (It was a lot of fun btw). We're being worked, we allow it, and we give him is power. Even what we're doing right now, giving him attention, he feeds off it and makes a living from it, by parlaying it into paid work -- PodcastOne, YouTube Ad revenue, jobs with IPW:UK, AAW (Australia) etc. So if you wanna hurt him where it counts...

Sorry, but I take issue with this - I am not keeping him in business. I do remember that thread where people on here were talking about going to see him and I kept quiet at the time because I didn't want to be that guy and ruin people's fun, but I just couldn't figure out why anyone would give this fella money and listen to him spout his nonsense for hours. This guy has done so much harm to both WCW and TNA, and wrestling companies today are steering well clear of him because they now know he is a total phony and will do more harm than good. He had a short few years of success when he got to work with all-time great talent like Austin, Rock, Foley, and Taker, and when he had Vince McMahon, in his most open-minded years, there to filter out 90% of his trash ideas. Some still got through - Beaver Cleavage, anyone?

He has no power. Honestly the only reason I enjoy him being around spouting his sexist, homophobic, stone-age drivel is so that a genuine legend like Jim Cornette can point out what a massive tool he still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Dude wrestling is about keeping yourself relevant and being able to parlay that into a paying gig, which he does, on multiple fronts. His website has a VIP section, merchandise, and I already mentioned a few non WWE/TNA promotions he was paid to work for. Secretly consulting for TNA he was paid around $30,000/year. He does a paid podcast 5 days a week - on PodcastOne, which is one of the highest paid podcast networks around. The ad rates are ridiculous (I enquired about Austin's and it was literally in the thousands per ad :eek:). He couldn't do this without an audience. Even if we're not physically paying for it - we are paying with our time and attention. Even us talking about him now, we're contributing to his notoriety. Other PW boardsies will see it, and a few of them might even download his podcast thanks to us - so we've helped him out.

If you want to hurt him, just don't look! Just don't look!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was trying to say that neither I nor 99 per cent of the wrestling fanbase are looking at him. I usually give Austin's podcasts a listen but when I saw Russo was on I avoided it. Meltzer was asked on Twitter the other day for his response about Russo saying him and Alvarez were gay and he just brushed it off. It was deemed not even worthy of bringing up on his own show. Russo has practically zero credibility these days and I doubt the people on this forum who went to see him a few years ago would do so nowadays, unless they approve of comments like 'Finn Balor needs to hit the gym' and 'if you like him, you're gay' or that men are automatically better than women because of the Book of Genesis.

While I and most ignore him, I do think it's beneficial to laugh at his nonsense if it leads to Boardsies and others giving him an even wider berth, and rightly so. I doubt people on the forum are going to rush to download his podcasts because he says stuff you can hear on any crazy, alt-right site these days.

Perhaps I'm wrong and he'll rise back to prominence like the monster in a scary movie but I highly doubt it. I think now he's pretty much on a par with the likes of Disco Inferno. A far cry from the days when TNA were stupidly going back to him for ideas. He's been trying to get in with Lucha Underground and other companies and they want nothing to do with him. He's beyond toxic. He's Katie Hopkins-level at this stage. Not to be taken seriously.

I don't think we should ignore him when we can laugh at his ignorance and learn from it in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Jim Cornette really hates him so so so much. You can hear his blood pressure rising every time he talks about him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Clicked in here thinking it was a spin off from the epic fail thread.

Sad to see its about this guy. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think he is good at getting TNA stars to do shoot interviews for his podcast. A lot of past shoot interviews are now on his Youtube page.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭briany

Jim Cornette really hates him so so so much. You can hear his blood pressure rising every time he talks about him.

I'm impressed that Cornette has been able to hold onto his boiling hot rage towards Vince Russo for wrestling crimes that, the bulk of which, were committed nearly 20 years ago. At some point you'd think he'd just let it all go for the sake of his health.

Russo's definitely got some outlandish views, but he's also got some that make sense. Like, if you have a weekly wrestling TV show, you need a way to have less matches. This is a Russo opinion that I agree on. The amount of matches that should be reserved for a PPV or the culmination to a feud, but that they just give away on RAW, is astounding. Just this week gone, you had Samoa Joe vs Chris Jericho. That's the kind of match they could easily parlay into Payback. This is part of why, IMO, WWE has to bring in so many part-timers for the PPVs. With the amount of matches between their top guys that are put on week to week, bringing in part-timers is one sure way to make a PPV feel like an event as opposed to a slightly longer episode of RAW or Smackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Even for the late 90s, 300k a year doesn't sound great for what his job entailed with the WWE. 6 days a week, 12+ hour days, crucial deadlines, intense pressure, limited vacation time etc.

Then take taxes and the cost of living in Stamford, Connecticut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement