Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S6 Damage - options

• 17-04-2017 12:15am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

so my s6 screen was cracked and I attempted a repair.
    and fecked it up big time. digitizer is now damaged.
    only 6 mths into a vodafone contract.

I know.

Options
    get it repaired - cost ?
    buy 2nd hand s6.
    try other similar phone ?
    ali-ex phone - what would be a good replacement - with 4g etc.

thanks folks.

K

Comments

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi,

so my s6 screen was cracked and I attempted a repair.
    and fecked it up big time. digitizer is now damaged.
    only 6 mths into a vodafone contract.

I know.

Options
    get it repaired - cost ?
    buy 2nd hand s6.
    try other similar phone ?
    ali-ex phone - what would be a good replacement - with 4g etc.

thanks folks.

K

How do you have a S6 6 months into a contract? The S7 has been out over a year.

Anyway, i guess it depends on your budget. Paying for repair will be a bit cheaper than buying a second hand S6, so you might as well do that. Probably a bit under 200.

Vodafone also let you upgrade early anytime if you want to go down that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Oh dear. I broke mine when I replacing the dock. I was being extremely careful and I couldn't believe I broke it. I was shocked when I saw the price of the replacement screen. I was extremely lucky as at the time there was a guy on adverts selling a batch of them and I got one for €100. That was cheap in comparison to prices I saw on ebay. I would never have attempted to replace the glass over the LCD myself, it seems way to tricky and all that glue that's required.

I don't know what you should do really. I've never had a phone on contract so don't know what your options are with your provider. The problem is you won't get much for spare parts because no one would wan't to buy a phone in that state since the digitizer cost so much, unless they own a screen already. That's why I though my only option was to buy a replacement screen as hard as it was to fork out for it. I sold my S6 as soon as I replaced the screen and bough a LG G4 , which I much prefer anyway. Sold for 300 and bought G4 for 170 : )

Basil3 wrote: »
    How do you have a S6 6 months into a contract? The S7 has been out over a year.

The network operator would reduce the cost of it's flagship model when it has been superseded - if you don't find that too objectionable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

hi - thanks for the replies.

VF want e300 for a replacement - no.

I can buy a new glass/lcd/frame for about e190 off ebay - and just replace the motherboard.
    refit and hopefully all is good. any issue with doing this ??

Or,

buy a s6 refurb for about e240 and either swap the motherboard or just use the refurb phone.

This will be my last contract phone. It'll be a Redmi and a 48months sim after this.

thx

hi - thanks for the replies.

VF want e300 for a replacement - no.

I can buy a new glass/lcd/frame for about e190 off ebay - and just replace the motherboard.
    refit and hopefully all is good. any issue with doing this ??

Or,

buy a s6 refurb for about e240 and either swap the motherboard or just use the refurb phone.

This will be my last contract phone. It'll be a Redmi and a 48months sim after this.

thx

You're talking about the S6 Edge? The standard S6 should only be about €200 to get repaired.

Why do you need to be replacing motherboards? Phone repair has obviously changed a lot since the days when I used to fix them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I think I'd go for option one, since your familiar with the phones internals you'll have no problem replacing the screen. Test the screen is working before putting it back together fully. You can just directly attach it to the mobo and lay it carefully by the phone and turn it on. I video'd the procedure in case the one I received was faulty when it arrived.

You could save a few quid with option 2 if you sold the bits you've left over but is it worth the hassle.

• Advertisement

just looking at options.

Best bet is - to buy a 2nf hand phone or refurb.
    and put in my motherboard into the phone = back to normal.

I am on vodafone..

question - if I buy an unlocked I'm grand.
    But if I buy a Vodafone locked phone from the UK, would that be an issue when I swap the mb ?

Thx

plus sell on the rest of the bits.

just looking at options.

Best bet is - to buy a 2nf hand phone or refurb.
    and put in my motherboard into the phone = back to normal.

I am on vodafone..

question - if I buy an unlocked I'm grand.
    But if I buy a Vodafone locked phone from the UK, would that be an issue when I swap the mb ?

Thx

plus sell on the rest of the bits.

I'm still not understanding why you would be buying a second hand or refurb and then switching mobos? What is the benefit/reason?

Just pay for the repair on yours, or buy and use a refurb and then sell your current one in whatever condition it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The baseband is part of the mobo so transferring mobo transfers the network lock status.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'm still not understanding why you would be buying a second hand or refurb and then switching mobos? What is the benefit/reason?

Just pay for the repair on yours, or buy and use a refurb and then sell your current one in whatever condition it is.

If I put in my mb - will I not be back to my orig phone/recent pics/settings etc

Prefer to sell on a different mb and not mine - with passowrds/accounts etc on it.

not sure ?!!

k

ED E wrote: »
    The baseband is part of the mobo so transferring mobo transfers the network lock status.

So you want to be stuck with a phone that is locked to a certain network? (Depending on whether it actually is). Seems like a lot of effort to keep your phone with a restriction that nobody wants.
    If I put in my mb - will I not be back to my orig phone/recent pics/settings etc

Prefer to sell on a different mb and not mine - with passowrds/accounts etc on it.

not sure ?!!

k

All of that stuff is handled on a software level. Just backup your device using Samsung's backup app (can't remember what it's called), and restore on the other device you buy. If you can't operate the screen at all, you should be able to plug your phone into a laptop and use the Samsung program that allows you to control your phone (once again, can't remember the name) to make sure everything is backed up to the cloud.

Do a full factory reset on your broken device before selling it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement