Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W10 desktop windows closing all the time!

Options
  • 17-04-2017 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place, if so, maybe a nice MOD could move it to the correct section please.

Ok, this is driving me crazy for the past two weeks and I can't find how to fix it anywhere! Hoping someone here might have some help..... please

Problem is, every single window on my desktop keeps closing, any window at, all except chrome. I haven't downloaded any malware or anything. It's every 2mins or 42mins, random. I can't do anything. The taskbar keeps disappearing, so I have to keep going into settings to turn of the 'hide taskbar' setting. I had my backgrounds changing every few mins and this seemed to trigger all windows to close so I turned that off and now just a black background. That did not work.

I did a full scan to see if there was anything that downloaded that could be causing this, but no, nothing. Has anyone any ideas on here? Google Searches turn up nothing. I bet it's something simple, so, in turn makes me simple, but it's driving me crazy.

Any help us very much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Windows 10 has an auto closing programs feature to free up memory. Maybe that is what's causing your issue?

Run gpedit.msc

Goto

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Troubleshooting and Diagnostics -> Windows Resource Exhaustion Detection and Resolution.

Configure it to just detect and troubleshoot only.

gpedit.msc might not be available in all editions of Win 10 (it is in Pro) so you might have to install it if you have a different version on your machine.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Thank you for your reply! I'll try this tonight when I get home.

Thanks again!

Advertisement