Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of semi built house

Options
  • 17-04-2017 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Recently a semi built house (half completed) house came on the market that's around 20 minutes from my home and about 15 minutes from the town that I work in. The house is somewhat completed with the foundations, ground floor and half of the second floor completed. All doorway and windows are already made out and two chimneys are completely constructed. It's a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom house with 2200 sq ft (191sq metres) on a 0.75 acre plot. It's on the market for €140k guide price but I think I may be able to get it down to 115k-120k as its been on the market for quite some time. However I know there still needs to be plenty of work done to this house and I'm aiming to try and finish it for around 60k-80k and I'm asking to see if anyone thinks it's possible.

List of stuff that needs to be done:
    -roofing (completely needs done the house also comes with a round area so a possible tower shaped roof will need to be added to the roofing)
    -doors and windows (front door, two French doors and 21 Windows, 15 of which are just small single Windows)
    -stairs
    -finish the layout of the second floor
    -plumbing (I believe the plumbing is already at the house it just needs fixed into the areas needed)
    -heating (I'm on a budget so just basic radiators, around 12)
    -wooden floors, tiles and carpets (I'm sticking to the same wooden floors for the ground floor, tiles in the bathroom and carpets in the hallway and bedrooms)
    -plastering (I maybe able to get a small discount for this 10%-20% off average price)
    -electrical
    -interior doors, frames and skirtings
    -insulation
    -drainpipes
    -3 toilets, 3 sinks, 3 showers (all basic ideas I'm not fussy)

Painting and the garden will be done by myself and my family and all furniture and appliances like washing machines, fridge and cooker are already bought. Also all planning permission is granted of course and there is blueprints that a builder can work from. As I have a nephew that's a plasterer and a brother in law that's an electrician, I may be able to get a small discount off the average price for these services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

At 120k it sound expensive. Very little work is completed. Probably 15-20%.

A foundation and some block work (concrete second floor I assume) is all that is done.

60 k won't scratch finishing it.

Are council fees paid? Aside from that 2k for esb, 2k-5to connect to group water scheme, 5+ if I needs a well, engineers fees to oversee and certify build, cheapest simplest septic tank will cost 4K, you may need a more expensive treatment system. 60k would be lucky to get you closed in and plastered outside (put up scaffold, finish block, roof, Windows,plaster outside).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

OP I put your info into a calculator we have for certifying works for stage payments, based on the level of work done I reckon that you have 27% of the work complete on site at the moment.

Based on €120/sq ft the house would cost you €264,000 to build from scratch therefore the value of the work to date is €70,224. I would imagine that you will need to redo a percentage of work so I would put a true value on work done at approx 60K.

In terms of finishing the build if you were going the main contractor route I would think it would take €180-200K to finish the project. Self build with favours is hard to say, but you will have well in excess of 60k in materials alone (€80-100k IMHO).

Advertisement