Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card 300 euro 1080p

Options
  • 17-04-2017 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my gtx 750 ti and have around 300 -350 euro available.

Tried to research but there's so many variables. Thing is my monitor only goes up to 1080p so I amn't particularly interested in 1440 or higher. Mainly its for gaming.

current specs:

GPU: Geforce GTX 750 Ti (2gb)
    CPU: i7 2600 3.4 ghz (non-k)
    RAM: 32 gb

Would Appreciate any insights!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

You can Wait a few days and get an RX 580 or you can get an RX 480 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ok I'll look into that thanks. The main game I'm upgrading for is extremely cpu intensive, would it be worth upgrading the i7 2600, like could it bottleneck on a newer gpu card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It won't be much of a bottleneck, exception in very CPU gruelling scenarios in which even the latest i7 would also be a technical bottleneck, eg. flight simulator, Warhammer Total War scenarios, and the like.

In 'normal' stuff like Battlefield 1, Fallout 4, GTA V, or whatever, it's a good match for an RX480 8GB or GTX1060 6GB (I've personally found RX cards can have issues with older chipsets, problem not shared by GTX cards though the RX would be my choice).

Other options would include 2nd hand GTX970 or R9 290, both excellent cards for 1080p, titanic upgrade, not far off the GTX1060/RX480 and cost about 160 and 130 second hand respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It won't be much of a bottleneck, exception in very CPU gruelling scenarios in which even the latest i7 would also be a technical bottleneck, eg. flight simulator, Warhammer Total War scenarios, and the like.

In 'normal' stuff like Battlefield 1, Fallout 4, GTA V, or whatever, it's a good match for an RX480 8GB or GTX1060 6GB (I've personally found RX cards can have issues with older chipsets, problem not shared by GTX cards though the RX would be my choice).

Other options would include 2nd hand GTX970 or R9 290, both excellent cards for 1080p, titanic upgrade, not far off the GTX1060/RX480 and cost about 160 and 130 second hand respectively.

So when you say you see problems with rx cards on older chipsets you mean the one I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

So when you say you see problems with rx cards on older chipsets you mean the one I have?

It doesnt run great with the fx8350, for that matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, the 2600 is from 2011. It's not to say it will be problematic - in most cases it wouldn't be, but as someone who's used dozens of RX cards and GTX cards, I've only ever had problems with the former on older chipsets. (from strange behavior, to not booting, to low performance, etc)

I recommend Nvidia all the way since it releases game drivers whenever a new game comes out.

Advertisement