Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn is more moss than grass

Options
  • 17-04-2017 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭

I'm back visiting my parents over Easter and the lawns around the house are as the thread title suggests more moss than grass.

I was wondering what is the best way to eradicate it. I won't be able to do the work so I'd like something that my parents could manage. A strong spray or fertiliser?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Potkettle

It's an ongoing problem with rain and lack of sunshine. I got rid of mine: patio surrounded by decorative stone and deep herbaceous beds. With dwarf trees and some shrubbery. If you want to be imaginative do a moss garden rather than a lawn! I'm sure other better grass growers than me will have other ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm coming around to the idea of not trying to fight against it. Don't the Japanese love moss lawns? It all comes down to how much time are you willing to spare? Improve drainage, scarify the lawn, fork the lawn, insert sand or grit into the forkholes, chemical warfare to kill the moss, sow grass seed, and hopefully it thrives better than moss. It'll keep you fit though!

Who decides that grass is better than moss anyway? It's green, doesn't need to be cut, and it grows well in Ireland. Food for thought lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Hard to play football on moss though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Potkettle

Hard to play football on moss though

Depends on the style! The Charlton era would have loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

Use Mo Bacter, works great. Its a bit expensive though if you have a big lawn

(MO Bacter is a slow release organic fertiliser which kills moss, feeds grass & improves the soil all in one.
    The main benefit of MO Bacter is that there is no need to rake or scarify and it wont leave any unsightly black patches. The dead moss is absorbed naturally into the soil and leaves your lawn looking greener.
    The other benefit is that it is organic and so it safe with pets and children)

• Advertisement
Advertisement