Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easier to get into teaching?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The devil is in the detail.

It's getting more people from traditionally under-represented groups into teaching. It's the snowball effect - people from such communities qualify, teach and inspire future generations from such marginalised communities to become teachers, rinse, repeat.

There is merit in it, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think I would have to hear the details but I'm sceptical. I absolutely disagree with making it easier to get in for certain people. However I think it would be beneficial to increase diversity in teaching and initiatives to mentor and support those from underrepresented groups who are aiming for teaching could have merit.

I am from a disadvantaged area and I teach in a DEIS school. The biggest barrier to students here entering primary teaching is the Irish requirements. That's a huge issue that I could write pages about, but I don't see throwing a bit of extra Irish support at second level DEIS students who want to be teachers as the answer. Too little too late. The biggest barrier to students here entering secondary teaching is poor prospects and low status in my experience. They don't seem to have much difficulty finding a route to qualification - it's just not that attractive. Students who have the potential to go to third level expect to see great rewards from it - it is still an exceptional thing to do here (particularly going to a university) and there is an expectation of a financially rewarding career tbat will get you out of the place. The net benefit of becoming a teacher is no longer seen as adequate - it used to be, but no longer.

Advertisement