Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to go with all the wires Ceiling light

Options
  • 17-04-2017 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

We redecorating the house and want to get rid of the old fashioned ceiling lights
    problem is when we remove the old ceiling rose there are 6 wires connected in it
    The new led lamps we bought only can have two wires
    Where to go with the rest of it
    Two cables coming in brown & blue running from ceiling light to ceiling light
    One cable double brown going to switch
    Can I make a square hole in the ceiling putting in a plastic box normally used for single switches in plasterboard , connecting the wires in it and afterwards putting up the lamp on it
    Or is there another way to do this????

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

We redecorating the house and want to get rid of the old fashioned ceiling lights
    problem is when we remove the old ceiling rose there are 6 wires connected in it

Assuming that the existing lights work you will need to connect the new lights the same way.
    The new led lamps we bought only can have two wires

Just like the old lights to work the new lights will only require a live and a neutral, so two wires.
    Can I make a square hole in the ceiling putting in a plastic box normally used for single switches in plasterboard , connecting the wires in it and afterwards putting up the lamp on it

This would be considered bad practice.
    Or is there another way to do this????

Depends on the light. Perhaps you could use a suitable ceiling rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Is there space within the fitting? I had the same issue with some Philips Hue Being fittings I put in place a few weeks ago. Ceiling rose had to come off as the fitting mounts almost flush to the ceiling, but there was space within a plastic housing within the fitting to connect up wiring.

I used Wago connectors

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Roen wrote: »
    Is there space within the fitting? I had the same issue with some Philips Hue Being fittings I put in place a few weeks ago. Ceiling rose had to come off as the fitting mounts almost flush to the ceiling, but there was space within a plastic housing within the fitting to connect up wiring.

I used Wago connectors

no there is no space just a little box just a little bigger than the screw connectors who are fitted in
    I wanted to do the same as they doing on the continent building in a box in to the ceiling , connecting the wires in it with wago,s putting out 3 wires and closing the box
    But a lot of people telling me that's not done here in Ireland
    If that's true so why is it not done Explain please
    That's the reason why I ask it overhere think the people here knows it and know how to solve it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Maybe time to call in an electrician?

• Advertisement
Advertisement