Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax muddle

• 17-04-2017 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I wonder if any one can help me. About 15 years ago I came to Ireland from the uk. I have been working here since and intend to retire next year. About 7 years ago due to injury my husband had a serious operation. We had 4 kids in college and a mortgage . To pay all this I drew my UK Teachers pension early as an actuarial reduced sum as I was 55 and it got us through.

I rang my local tax office here and asked if it was taxable. I was told that as it was a government job ( I was teaching in the uk) and as I was a uk national the money was not taxable in this country but in the country that pays it. That was grand and I didn't have any uk tax to pay on it as it was below the threshold for tax as it was only £8000 per year.

A recent conversation with a colleague informed me that in fact I should pay tax here on that money as apparently teaching is not regarded as a government job therefore I was given incorrect information . Now the situation I am in is if this was taxable then it is an undisclosed off shore asset I think. The back tax at 42% would be due and maybe interest. My calculations suggest a figure of about €25000 which is not in my capabilities to pay. Can any one who knows offer any advice please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

My advice would be to consult an accountant. Whether it's teaching or not or whether it's a government job or not (God knows what that has to do with it but maybe somebody here will enlighten us) I think you're assessible on all worldwide income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Missy j

Thank you for your reply apparently a government payment in one country cannot be taxed by another country but there are qualifying rules e.g. If you are a national of another country. Well that's what the tax office told me when I first enquired about it. I will look for an accountant so.

Advertisement