Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cyclist, tough challenge set

Options
  • 17-04-2017 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hello everyone

I am relatively new to the sport of cycling. My experience is limited to when I was a teenager cycling to school. (I'm 24 now.)

I have decided to set myself a goal (among others) for 2017 which is as follows:

Cycle to Galway from Dublin. I know that sounds crazy for someone who is basically new to cycling but I want to challenge myself.

I have given myself 3 months to prepare, starting this week. I will be getting a bike, equipment etc. I will be doing shorter cycles each weekend, building up to the main cycle to Galway. I will also be doing gym training (incl. bike of course.) Initially my plan was to do it in 1 day, but I am leaning more towards splitting it between Sat and Sun, taking brakes every now and again each day.

Can anyone recommend a bike (I'm 6ft4, about 90kg), how much I should spend on it (i know this is relative to someones budget but a ballpark figure - i was thinking 500-600 for the bike), equipment I'll need, tutorials I should watch and practice (including tyre repair etc.), the route I should take to Galway (From St. Catherine's Park in Dublin to Eyre Square in Galway City).

I will of course be doing my own research, not just being handed it from here but I'd like to get other peoples opinions.

I hope to keep this thread going with updates and pictures of my journey.

There is of course a chance of failure due to inexperience and insufficient training time but I can only learn if I fail and I am willing to do it again. I want to keep cycling as a hobby after this challenge and cycle at least once a week (excl. train station, work etc.)

So please can you give me your thoughts, suggestions, questions etc.

I will keep coming back to the thread numerous times a day to respond and take advice. Also if you have any worthwhile articles for new cyclists, I'd appreciate it if you could link them.

I would like to spend around 700-800 euro on a bike and equipment. Let me know what you think.

EDIT: Few people have suggested heading Galway - Dublin due to winds. Can you recommend any cycling routes here?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Eight hundred for bike and gear is not a lot unfortunately. Decent bibs, shoes, a couple of jerseys, gloves, helmet etc. well eat into your money before you've even looked at a bike.
    Regarding a bike, go to a couple of bike shops and sit on a few bikes, find one you're comfortable with, have a chat with the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I do plan on investing in better equipment etc as the weeks get closer. 800 is basically a ball park figure. I also plan to avail of the cycle to work tax scheme so that should work in my favour also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

if you plan on getting into cycling then the minimum you should spend is around €1000 like here: Giant Contend
    Good pair of shorts, jersey, base layer, jacket, shoes, gloves, lights etc prob another €350..

Also skip the gym, no substitute for saddle time, esp. as you've set yourself such a massive goal in such a short amount of time..

And finally... if you can, start from Galway and go to Dublin, winds in Ireland *generally go from west to East..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

For a start I'd be cycling the other direction. Train to Galway and cycle back the way but I guess if you want a challenge the usual head wind will ensure that.

You'll pick up a decent bike second hand for between 500-600 Spend the rest on gear with the larger percentage going on good big shorts.

The DHB gear on wiggle will be grand for shoes/jersey/at

Your budget is very tight so spend wisely keep an eye on the adverts section here for some decent gear.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    if you plan on getting into cycling then the minimum you should spend is around €1000 like here: Giant Contend
    Good pair of shorts, jersey, base layer, jacket, shoes, gloves, lights etc prob another €350..

Also skip the gym, no substitute for saddle time, esp. as you've set yourself such a massive goal in such a short amount of time..

And finally... if you can, start from Galway and go to Dublin, winds in Ireland *generally go from west to East..

I have to disagree with skipping the gym bit here. Squats and deadlifts will help immensely. Now I wouldn't be arsed using the bike in the gym mind. But weightlifting combined with stretching will work wonders. After really working on it over the last couple of months I can now kick head height on the bag and spend longer in the saddle. It all helps :)

• Advertisement

This may be a stupid question but, what makes a €1000 bike better than a €800 bike. I understand in cars, the options you add will dictate the costs of the car etc. Basically, what should I look out for when purchasing a bike?

I'll give this some thought. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

As I was saying some good deals to be had 2nd hand and your probably in the large to extra large category which will probably find better bargains. €400

http://www.adverts.ie/12642193

A bit more with disc brakes €659

http://www.adverts.ie/12414794

As I was saying some good deals to be had 2nd hand and your probably in the large to extra large category which will probably find better bargains. €400

A bit more with disc brakes €659

Is Giant the go to brand for bikes? What other brands should I consider and research. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Good pair of shorts, jersey, base layer, jacket, shoes, gloves, lights etc prob another €350.
    e1000 is quite a large initial outlay to be spending on a single piece of equipment when you have no idea whether you'll stick with it or not.

I spent around £200 on one of the Decathlon entry level road bikes new. Grand bike and does the job. Don't have to worry too much about it being damaged on rough potholed roads or it being a prime target for thieving scumbags. New wheels, clipless pedals/shoes, cassette, chainrings, chain and tyres have been the only upgrades/repairs/maintenance and even all that was less than £250.

I certainly see it's limitations now but that's only after an extended period cycling. I'm at the stage where I'm weighing up the cost of improvements/maintenance against buying a better bike but at least now I'm better informed and sure of what I want in my next bike. Also I'm in a much stronger position now to avail of the performance upgrades a more expensive bike would give me than when I started.

To the OP, plenty of bike maintenance videos on youtube. I find the GCN ones pretty good. Also practice changing tubes/tyres at home or limit your cycles to a few k from home until confident. Also, buy a decent track pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Alerium wrote: »
    Is Giant the go to brand for bikes? What other brands should I consider and research. Thanks for your help.

Giant is just one brand, there's loads more.
    Call to a few bike shops and find a bike that feels comfortable. And looks good. Looking good is important.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Shop around and you'll get a good bike and gear for your budget so I'd disregard that first comment. Not everything needs to be Ultegra / Sram Force / Campag.

Get to know some of the local bike shops. One might have something suitable in your budget, there's always half decent sales on for good gear too. Local shops will be invaluable for helping you out until you get some know how yourself.

Cycle Super Store in Tallaght and I think Humphries in Finglas have second hand bikes (I'm normally too busy drooling at the lovely Italian stuff)

I'd be looking for something that has mounts for a pannier rack and mudguards. Pannier will slow you down a little, but means you can carry some things with you if you intend on staying over in Galway. If you're going to go to Galway and have someone to bring your stuff back, then disregard that.

Most of all, enjoy it. If you can get someone to join you all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 StGriffen

As you're on a budget the Decathlon B'Twin bikes are extremely good value, even more so if you can catch a sale. This might be of use: http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/217632-13-best-road-bike-bargains-under-£500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Two suggestions...

Sign up to Strava on the web and download the Strava app for your phone ala iPhone or Android.
    You don't need the "premium paid for stuff" as the free account offers a lot, more than enough.

It is a very good way to record your progress and in some ways it is quite the motivational personal trainer too. Sign up for the monthly cycling challenges as you'd be surprised how they can squeeze an extra few KM out of you.

Secondly, don't be afraid to ask any questions here! I gleaned a lot of help from this forum when I started out.

Are you based in Dublin?

EDIT: Few people have suggested heading Galway - Dublin due to winds. Can you recommend any cycling routes here?

Thanks a mil

With cycling, sometimes the wind hates you and goes in the direction you least want! I've done Galway to Dublin on a charity spin and you can see the route we took over two days below.

Galway to Tullamore https://www.strava.com/activities/287716319

Tullamore to Clondalkin. https://www.strava.com/activities/288792618

There is also another Maynooth based Charity cycle that does Dublin to Galway on a Friday, and the return leg on the Sunday. I'll see if I can find the routes for you. [edit-] You'll find their info etc here http://www2.galwaycycle.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

basic question - you want to cycle from dublin to galway (or vice versa). the fact that you've not mentioned it would lead me to suspect you want to do it in a single day?

anyway, as regards route; following the pre-motorway N roads would probably be best. you're looking at approx 220km, if you're planning to go city centre to city centre, so i guess 8-10 hours in the saddle?

Two suggestions...

Sign up to Strava on the web and download the Strava app for your phone ala iPhone or Android.
    You don't need the "premium paid for stuff" as the free account offers a lot, more than enough.

It is a very good way to record your progress and in some ways it is quite the motivational personal trainer too. Sign up for the monthly cycling challenges as you'd be surprised how they can squeeze an extra few KM out of you.

Secondly, don't be afraid to ask any questions here! I gleaned a lot of help from this forum when I started out.

Are you based in Dublin?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alerium View Post

Thanks a mil
    With cycling, sometimes the wind hates you and goes in the direction you least want! I've done Galway to Dublin on a charity spin and you can see the route we took over two days below.

Galway to Tullamore

Tullamore to Clondalkin.

There is also another Maynooth based Charity cycle that does Dublin to Galway on a Friday, and the return leg on the Sunday. I'll see if I can find the routes for you. [edit-] You'll find their info etc here

Hi, thanks for this post. I am based in Dublin. I'll look into the app more now and once I get the bike do a few routes. Is there much difference between the Strava app and the Sports Tracker app. I use the ST app for running/walking.

Thanks again!

basic question - you want to cycle from dublin to galway (or vice versa). the fact that you've not mentioned it would lead me to suspect you want to do it in a single day?

anyway, as regards route; following the pre-motorway N roads would probably be best. you're looking at approx 220km, if you're planning to go city centre to city centre, so i guess 8-10 hours in the saddle?

Sorry I should've been clear. Initially my plan was to do it in 1 day, but I am leaning more towards splitting it between Sat and Sun, taking brakes every now and again each day.

Yeah that's the approximate distance I was looking at. What sort of speed would you average on flat roads? I know it's up to the cyclist but on average.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Myself and another boardsie did it with an average of just over 30 km/h (we had a nice tailwind most of the way though - I think 25 km/h would be more realistic to aim for) - https://www.strava.com/activities/196905129

(If you're planning using our route we took a wrong turn at 106.7k!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sorry I should've been clear. Initially my plan was to do it in 1 day, but I am leaning more towards splitting it between Sat and Sun, taking brakes every now and again each day.

Yeah that's the approximate distance I was looking at. What sort of speed would you average on flat roads? I know it's up to the cyclist but on average.
    Wouldn't be too concerned with avg speed, rather distance/time on the bike at the moment. Especially if your ultimate goal is a long cycle. I'd recommend a heart rate monitor, so you have an approximate idea on how hard you can push for how long.

Think there's some guy on here doing a couch to 200k with a group of newbies, he'd probably have a better idea than most on a training plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

My mapping of it would give approx 194km, from St. Catherine's Park, Lucan to Eyre Square, Galway, following the old N4/N6 route through Maynooth, Kilcock, Enfield, Kinnegad, Kilbeggan, Moate, Athlone, Ballinasloe, Athenry, Oranmore, Galway.

It is not something to take lightly, so don't rush the prep work for it. You are looking at 13 weeks minimum to build up to it. Like others have said, the easterly route from Galway to Dublin tends to be better for wind assist, and the route is effectively the same backwards.

Take your time, pace yourself, and take breaks when you need to. Otherwise, enjoy it.

colm18 wrote: »
    Myself and another boardsie did it with an average of just over 30 km/h (we had a nice tailwind most of the way though - I think 25 km/h would be more realistic to aim for) - https://www.strava.com/activities/196905129

(If you're planning using our route we took a wrong turn at 106.7k!)

I'll definitely save your route and keep it in mind. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I wouldn't be daunted by the challenge though, it's definitely very possible but it'll be tough. You see a lot of new cyclists taking the challenge of the Ring of Kerry cycle (170km) for example and they get through it fine.
    Wind and breaks included you might be looking at a 10-12 hour journey or more. It'll be a major part of it to get yourself accustomed to cycling long hours. Cycling on flattish terrain isn't like running like that, your legs will rarely fail you as long as you're reasonably fit and don't push a pace that you're not comfortable at. Your backside and back need to be used to cycling though. But like a marathon adrenaline will get you past the last third. I'd have done a 5-6 hour cycle or two beforehand though, just to know what a long day in the saddle feels like. Test the foods/gels you'll use on these preps and see how they suit you.
    It'll be important to get a good bit of practice on the bike you'll be using on the day. Stuff like getting comfortable with a saddle, getting used to clipless pedals (if you use them), getting used to padded shorts (use them), working out what clothes suit you, can only be done with time. In the meantime though fire ahead on any bike that you can get your hands on. 20km on a heavy, rusty bike will make 40km on a racer seem easy!

I wouldn't be daunted by the challenge though, it's definitely very possible but it'll be tough. You see a lot of new cyclists taking the challenge of the Ring of Kerry cycle (170km) for example and they get through it fine.
    Wind and breaks included you might be looking at a 10-12 hour journey or more. It'll be a major part of it to get yourself accustomed to cycling long hours. Cycling on flattish terrain isn't like running like that, your legs will rarely fail you as long as you're reasonably fit and don't push a pace that you're not comfortable at. Your backside and back need to be used to cycling though. But like a marathon adrenaline will get you past the last third. I'd have done a 5-6 hour cycle or two beforehand though, just to know what a long day in the saddle feels like. Test the foods/gels you'll use on these preps and see how they suit you.
    It'll be important to get a good bit of practice on the bike you'll be using on the day. Stuff like getting comfortable with a saddle, getting used to clipless pedals (if you use them), getting used to padded shorts (use them), working out what clothes suit you, can only be done with time. In the meantime though fire ahead on any bike that you can get your hands on. 20km on a heavy, rusty bike will make 40km on a racer seem easy!

Some great advice here. I'll definitely keep this in mind over the next few months. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

any time anyone here asks for route advice for athlone to dublin i point them towards the greenway that runs from athlone to mullingar and then to remain on the canal path to killucan where there's a pub as a landmark for where you need to get off the canal path!

this would add about 5km - 10km max to your cycle but would take you completely away from the roads (apart from one crossing of the old N4) for approx 60km.

fwiw i trained for the wicklow 200 a few years ago, building up pretty much from scratch to the event in just over 3 months so your plan is definitely doable but you need to get yourself a bike and get out on it asap. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Will you have mechanical backup? If not learn to do the following:

Replace an inner tube.
    Repair a puncture.
    Repair a broken chain.
    How to index your gears.
    How to replace brake/gear cables

These are the type of repairs that once you know how to do them, could salvage an otherwise disastrous failure.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Will you have mechanical backup? If not learn to do the following:

Replace an inner tube.
    Repair a puncture.
    Repair a broken chain.
    How to index your gears.
    How to replace brake/gear cables

These are the type of repairs that once you know how to do them, could salvage an otherwise disastrous failure.

That's exaclty what i plan to learn in the coming months. No backup at all, just me and the bike haha

any time anyone here asks for route advice for athlone to dublin i point them towards the greenway that runs from athlone to mullingar and then to remain on the canal path to killucan where there's a pub as a landmark for where you need to get off the canal path!

this would add about 5km - 10km max to your cycle but would take you completely away from the roads (apart from one crossing of the old N4) for approx 60km.

fwiw i trained for the wicklow 200 a few years ago, building up pretty much from scratch to the event in just over 3 months so your plan is definitely doable but you need to get yourself a bike and get out on it asap. best of luck!

I'll try make the route as scenic and less boring as possible so ill definitely keep this in mind. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

You are 24 but what kind of shape are you in?

Do you play a field sport/martial art regular gym goer?

If you are a sedentary couch potato it will be a tough challenge but doable. If you are a fit active 24 yr old a 220km flat cycle at a steady pace isn't that physically challenging with 3 months to prepare.

You main challenges will be comfort and feeling sorry for yourself when you feel a little tired/cold/sore whatever.

Use gym for mobility work and a little resistance work; it won't help aerobically but will help with comfort/stability on bike.

If in doubt get a bike asap and ride it when possible.

Don't buy expensive jerseys/gloves etc if on a budget, but get decent shorts dhb, endura etc are decent. Buy one good pair rather than two crap ones. Aldi gloves, socks, jerseys etc are fine for most

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

In terms of mechanical stuff, you'd be very unlucky to have anything other than a puncture happen.
    Long term the other mechanical knowledge is great but I'd concentrate on fixing a flat anyway and anything else is a bonus.

ford2600 wrote: »
    You are 24 but what kind of shape are you in?

Do you play a field sport/martial art regular gym goer?

If you are a sedentary couch potato it will be a tough challenge but doable. If you are a fit active 24 yr old a 220km flat cycle at a steady pace isn't that physically challenging with 3 months to prepare.

You main challenges will be comfort and feeling sorry for yourself when you feel a little tired/cold/sore whatever.

Use gym for mobility work and a little resistance work; it won't help aerobically but will help with comfort/stability on bike.

If in doubt get a bike asap and ride it when possible.

Don't buy expensive jerseys/gloves etc if on a budget, but get decent shorts dhb, endura etc are decent. Buy one good pair rather than two crap ones. Aldi gloves, socks, jerseys etc are fine for most

In the last month or so I haven't been to the gym at all. However, before that I would be in the gym 5 days a week mainly running + HIIT.

• Advertisement

Was just looking at some bikes there. What do people think of these two? And where is the price difference coming from?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ie/bikes/series/contend/28597/

What downsides do these bikes have? Is it worth the extra €150 for the Contend 1? If so, why?

Thanks

Advertisement