Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cyclist, tough challenge set

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Alerium wrote: »
    Was just looking at some bikes there. What do people think of these two? And where is the price difference coming from?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ie/bikes/series/contend/28597/

What downsides do these bikes have? Is it worth the extra €150 for the Contend 1? If so, why?

Thanks

Sora are slightly better than Claris components. But as your on a budget, I say go for the €649 as I doubt you'll notice the difference. The frame and fork are the important bits and there the same on both bikes.

Use the savings to get pedals, shoes and bib shorts ( maybe a helmet too, but not legally required)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Sora are slightly better than Claris components. But as your on a budget, I say go for the €649 as I doubt you'll notice the difference. The frame and fork are the important bits and there the same on both bikes.

Use the savings to get pedals, shoes and bib shorts ( maybe a helmet too, but not legally required)

Thanks for that. A helmet is first on my list of equipment. Bit of a stupid newbie cyclist question, but why do you not get pedals with the bike and what prices are they usually?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

As far as I can see the only difference between the two bikes is the Sora groupset. In other words 8 vs 9 speed. The wheels, frame and forks are identical. I'd go for the cheaper bike and save the money for all the paraphernalia that makes cycling more comfortable. In other words a decent set of shorts, clipless shoes, lights, track pump, mini pump, saddle bag, helmet, glasses, etc... The list is extensive.

I bought the bottom of the range Giant starting out and it never held me back. You are young so the extra few kg on the bike won't kill you. The main thing heavy on the Contend are the wheels, they have a high spoke count but are pretty much bomb proof. €150 will get you lighter wheels if you want to upgrade. The Claris group is fine in my experience. Main problem down the line might be maintenance as 8 speed is no longer mainstream.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thanks for that. A helmet is first on my list of equipment. Bit of a stupid newbie cyclist question, but why do you not get pedals with the bike and what prices are they usually?

Thanks
    Generally on road bikes you use pedals where the shoe clips onto the pedal. Makes cycling easier for various reasons, but there are also several different standards which are mutually incompatible, so pedals are usually not included as the cyclist will have his or her own favoured standard.

lissard wrote: »
    As far as I can see the only difference between the two bikes is the Sora groupset. In other words 8 vs 9 speed. The wheels, frame and forks are identical. I'd go for the cheaper bike and save the money for all the paraphernalia that makes cycling more comfortable. In other words a decent set of shorts, clipless shoes, lights, track pump, mini pump, saddle bag, helmet, glasses, etc... The list is extensive.

I bought the bottom of the range Giant starting out and it never held me back. You are young so the extra few kg on the bike won't kill you. The main thing heavy on the Contend are the wheels, they have a high spoke count but are pretty much bomb proof. €150 will get you lighter wheels if you want to upgrade. The Claris group is fine in my experience. Main problem down the line might be maintenance as 8 speed is no longer mainstream.

Ill head into the shop over the weekend to have a look at both Contend 1 & 2. Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement

Generally on road bikes you use pedals where the shoe clips onto the pedal. Makes cycling easier for various reasons, but there are also several different standards which are mutually incompatible, so pedals are usually not included as the cyclist will have his or her own favoured standard.

That makes sense. Im probably going to start off with pedals and the more i get into it, switch over.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What's your local bike shop? Other posters here may have useful recommendations.

What's your local bike shop? Other posters here may have useful recommendations.

Closest one to me would be Cyclezone in Blanch Village. I went over on Saturday but it didn't seem like they had a lot of options. Relatively small shop.

Duffy Cycles in Santry wouldnt be too far away either. I have access to a van so bringing the bike home isn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Closest one to me would be Cyclezone in Blanch Village. I went over on Saturday but it didn't seem like they had a lot of options. Relatively small shop.
    Duffy Cycles in Santry wouldnt be too far away either. I have access to a van so bringing the bike home isn't a problem.

Get the bus or Luas out to the Long Mile road and check out the Giant cycles store, I think Eurocycles across the road is still open also.. And sure you can cycle back if you make a purchase! :)

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Get the bus or Luas out to the Long Mile road and check out the Giant cycles store, I think Eurocycles across the road is still open also.. And sure you can cycle back if you make a purchase! :)

This Saturday is going to be my "Visit every bike shop in Dublin" day! ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

if you're between blanch and santry, you may be near humphries in finglas. it's where i go to get most of my supplies these days. quite road bike oriented too.

if you're between blanch and santry, you may be near humphries in finglas. it's where i go to get most of my supplies these days. quite road bike oriented too.

I have that down on my shops to visit list haha. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Thanks
    It's 4th on my list... even then I can think of other priorities;)
    1.Pedals, 2. Shoes, 3. Bob Shorts, 4. Helmet ( optional)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I used to cycle back and forth from Dublin to Galway the odd time when my son was in his teens, taking three days there and three back. We rode Dawes touring bikes, carrying a tent and sleeping bags and a wok and rain gear and a change of clothes and tea bags and a Primus stove in the panniers. We wore jeans and T-shirts, and ambled along at 50 miles a day, stopping to chat to people and admire nice scenery or interesting animals or lovely houses. We'd get some eggs and bread and apples (and Feast bars) in a shop and fry the eggs up and make tea in the wok. At the end of the day, when we were tired or it was dark, we'd knock on a farmer's door and ask permission to camp in the field. Only one ever said no. In the morning we'd ask for water and cook our breakfast on the Primus.

No special clothing, no helmets in those days, old Dawes bikes, the shoes we usually wore. No going to the gym - we cycled everywhere normally and that made us fit enough. Hi-viz in the form of fluorescent Sam Browne belts (handy for warning drivers, as this was then what gardai wore - but there was absolutely none of the anti-cyclist crap then in any case).

Don't make too big a deal of it. Have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Chuchote wrote: »
    I used to cycle back and forth from Dublin to Galway the odd time when my son was in his teens, taking three days there and three back. We rode Dawes touring bikes, carrying a tent and sleeping bags and a wok and rain gear and a change of clothes and tea bags and a Primus stove in the panniers. We wore jeans and T-shirts, and ambled along at 50 miles a day, stopping to chat to people and admire nice scenery or interesting animals or lovely houses. We'd get some eggs and bread and apples (and Feast bars) in a shop and fry the eggs up and make tea in the wok. At the end of the day, when we were tired or it was dark, we'd knock on a farmer's door and ask permission to camp in the field. Only one ever said no. In the morning we'd ask for water and cook our breakfast on the Primus.

No special clothing, no helmets in those days, old Dawes bikes, the shoes we usually wore. No going to the gym - we cycled everywhere normally and that made us fit enough. Hi-viz in the form of fluorescent Sam Browne belts (handy for warning drivers, as this was then what gardai wore - but there was absolutely none of the anti-cyclist crap then in any case).

You've brightened up my day just reading that,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I'll 2nd humphries. Got my 2nd bike they're last year and small shop but friendly, its not jammed and they give you attention and advice rather then flogging u a bike beyond your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

In the last month or so I haven't been to the gym at all. However, before that I would be in the gym 5 days a week mainly running + HIIT.

Your seem to have a decent level of fitness to begin with so. The year i bought my first bike i got it in April and done the Wicklow 200 2 moths later in June. I'd been in the gym and running for a few years and had only began commuting to work a few months earlier and that was only 5 km each way at the time.

Before the W200 i done a 60 km cycle and 113 km cycle with all the others been around 20-40km. I suffered the last 80 km on the day of the W200 but it was in horrid conditions but when i finished it was well worth the suffering.

I spent about 800 euro also,600 on a Giant Defy 5 and 200 on shoes and BIB shorts. Helmet was thrown in for "free" with lights and bottles. Giant shop on the long mile road is where i bought it. Its still going strong but the wheels are not great on the budget giant road bikes and have long since been replaced. Plenty of broken spokes on the stock wheels.

Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

I went into Duff Cycles today in Omni and had a look around. I ended up getting a quotation for the Giant Contend 2 in white, a helmet, lock, lights and I upgraded the tyres also. All in all, the total came to €900 which I'm happy with. I placed a deposit on the bike in XL as I'm 6ft4 and it should be in the shop in a week or so. The staff member was very knowledgeable and friendly and it was an excellent experience overall. So props to them.

I will now bring the quotation to work and have them deduct tax and deduct my pay etc so I can physically get the bike.

Few pics of some of the bikes there attached. The blue one is a medium/large Contend 2.

I don't plan on investing in a bike computer yet and plan on using my phone attached to the bike with Google Maps and Strava running. The battery will be recharged using a a battery pack which I will carry in my backpack.

I understand that Garmin bike computers are the way to go but how accurate are apps such as Strava at tracking speed, distance, calories etc?

Also can anyone please recommend a phone mount (for bike) for an iPhone 7 4.7inch screen? I was looking at something like this: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/360-Universal-Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-MTB-Mount-Holder-Bracket-For-Cell-Phone-GPS-/122304483836?var=&hash=item1c79ea51fc%3Am%3AmmjUeWyRIPmfTzWRoSwglxA

Many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

These https://www.quadlockcase.com/collections/iphone-7 Are the dogs danglies when it comes to phone mounts but they're pricey.

Strava on the phone will be accurate more times than not with regard to speed distance traveled it's when you get into wooded areas it may struggle. I have found that using the phone seems to throw up more issues which you don't notice till you upload a ride and see straight lines on places it's lost signal.

As for the calories forget about any of them being accurate you may aswell guess yourself as that is more or less what they all do. I wouldn't be to concerned about calories get yourself a HRM which will probably need to be bluetooth if using your phone and you can measure improvement through perceived exertion.

If you're investing in a garmin I'd go for the 520 I have nearly all of them at this point 200 up to the 920xt and the 520 is the best do it all model that you won't really need to upgrade from. The maps on the 800 upwards can be useful but to be honest more times than not a few notes on your hand or stem and google maps on the phone for unknown bits. I can't recall the last time I uploaded a gpx file and followed it.

The new bike looks sweet it'l be a joy on your spin I'd imagine. Good luck and don't forget a good set of lights and don't leave it out anywhere unless you're sitting on it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Also can anyone please recommend a phone mount (for bike) for an iPhone 7 4.7inch screen?

Got this for my birthday http://getfinn.com/en/ and it works astonishingly well.
    I went into Duff Cycles today in Omni and had a look around. I ended up getting a quotation for the Giant Contend 2 in white, a helmet, lock, lights and I upgraded the tyres also. All in all, the total came to €900 which I'm happy with. I placed a deposit on the bike in XL as I'm 6ft4 and it should be in the shop in a week or so. The staff member was very knowledgeable and friendly and it was an excellent experience overall. So props to them.

I will now bring the quotation to work and have them deduct tax and deduct my pay etc so I can physically get the bike.

Few pics of some of the bikes there attached. The blue one is a medium/large Contend 2.

415321.jpg

415322.jpg

Verra nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Good luck with the new toy, many hours of fun ahead ;-)

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    These https://www.quadlockcase.com/collections/iphone-7 Are the dogs danglies when it comes to phone mounts but they're pricey.

Strava on the phone will be accurate more times than not with regard to speed distance traveled it's when you get into wooded areas it may struggle. I have found that using the phone seems to throw up more issues which you don't notice till you upload a ride and see straight lines on places it's lost signal.

As for the calories forget about any of them being accurate you may aswell guess yourself as that is more or less what they all do. I wouldn't be to concerned about calories get yourself a HRM which will probably need to be bluetooth if using your phone and you can measure improvement through perceived exertion.

If you're investing in a garmin I'd go for the 520 I have nearly all of them at this point 200 up to the 920xt and the 520 is the best do it all model that you won't really need to upgrade from. The maps on the 800 upwards can be useful but to be honest more times than not a few notes on your hand or stem and google maps on the phone for unknown bits. I can't recall the last time I uploaded a gpx file and followed it.

The new bike looks sweet it'l be a joy on your spin I'd imagine. Good luck and don't forget a good set of lights and don't leave it out anywhere unless you're sitting on it. :)

That mount looks very good but it's a little too expensive if I'm honest. Thanks for posting though. As for the Garmin, I had a look at the models a couple days ago and the 520 is the one I'd go for, but just not yet. I'd like to get a good 6-9 months of cycling under the belt and see if further investment is worth it. I'm certainly giving it a serious go and hope to cycle at least 50km each weekend, as my weekdays are packed with either work, gym or exam study for work. Hopefully as the days get longer I'll have more daylight so I can be out until half 10 and replace a few weekday gym cardio sessions with cycling.

For directions, I assume Google Maps is the best? It basically cover the whole country and is constantly updated.

Got this for my birthday http://getfinn.com/en/ and it works astonishingly well.

That actually pretty much does the job. I'll probably order that. Free shipping too!

And thanks!

lissard wrote: »
    Good luck with the new toy, many hours of fun ahead ;-)

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

For directions, I assume Google Maps is the best? It basically cover the whole country and is constantly updated.
    More often than the roads are!

Until you get a mount do what I do and just keep the phone in a back pocket. You can also (although some may frown on this) hook up headphones to keep you notified of directions as well as distance/time/avg speed. Will save battery by not having the screen on all the time. GPS on modern phones (with GPS + GLONASS) is very good, I've never had any problems. So you don't need to fork out for a Garmin just yet.

Lovely bike btw, just bear in mind your ass will be sore after the first few rides, even short ones. It passes quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

My thoughts on this is it would be best to do it Galway to Dublin in early June. You could set out very early in the morning (bright anytime after 4 am).

A couple of things to make it much easier is to only set off is there is a wind from the west forecast, the stronger the better.
    Get a track pump to pump the bike tyres to about 100 psi (or whatever is the max on the sidewall). Tyres pumped hard roll much easier, and you go faster.
    You should have done training spins of 100 kms or more. A problem not mentioned is you need to get your hands and wrists used to long distances, and especially your neck muscles. You can't get this in a gym.

I never go near the max on the sidewall. That works if the roads are all lovely and smooth, but for comfort over a ride of that length I'd stay under 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I never go near the max on the sidewall. That works if the roads are all lovely and smooth, but for comfort over a ride of that length I'd stay under 100.
    I'd agree that comfort is probably more important for a long ride (and max pressures are only suitable for glass-smooth surface, not bumpy Irish roads).

However the OP is heavy (90kg), although perfectly normal for his height. I'd be inclined to start off higher (110 psi on a 25mm) and drop down until you find a balance between comfort/speed and avoiding pinch flats.

Advertisement