Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cyclist, tough challenge set

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

Thank you for your suggestions gentlemen/ladies. I've taken note of each opinion and will consider them all when making my final decision. I think for a beginner like myself it's extremely important to get the form and the saddle height correct to avoid as much back/wrist/neck etc pain as possible, although some pain is inevitable.

Depending on how training and cycles go over the next 8-12 weeks, I will decide whether this will be a 1 day job or split between Sat and Sun with an overnight stay in Tullamore or anywhere halfway?

I will certainly keep posting in this thread with progress re bike and preparation.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd say you'd get a good bit more in than 50km over a weekend after you're first trip or two. I'm fairly new to this and easily get two 40/45km spins in after work if i manage to leave early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Perhaps for comfort you should fit the widest tyre you can i.e not a 23 mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Apart from wind, no one has really mentioned weather.

OP - if you are selecting a specific date in advance, you need to be mentally prepared for a wet ride. Not everyone can sustain 8/10/12 hours in the rain. Cold shouldn't be a big problem in summer but, even then,it can be hard to stay warm when you're soaked to the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I was just going to post that on a long cycle you will start to feel a bit down at some stage
    Stopping, eating some food, slowing and relaxing will help get you through, and train your self to deal with this.

If it's going to be wet, I'd definitely try get a front mudguard, it'll keep your feet drier and warmer than without.

Lidl/Aldi have decent cycling offers for trackpumps/gloves/tops/bibtights now and again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I've recently discovered Dunnes Stores' natural-no-added-fruit khefir, and it makes a wonderfully refreshing and energising drink mid-cycle. Dunnes also do pineapple juice, which lets you drink more if you add it to water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Chuchote wrote: »
    Got this for my birthday http://getfinn.com/en/ and it works astonishingly well.

Second this. Simple solution that'll fit most phones. I've ridden over those really nasty screw down speed bumps repeatedly at around 30km/h (there was a reason for this - not just a masochistic streak) and the phone never budged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Alerium wrote: »
    For directions, I assume Google Maps is the best? It basically cover the whole country and is constantly updated.

Check out Maps.ME as well. Based on OpensStreetMap which tends to cover cycling routes better and has offline navigation if that's an issue. You can always use both

JMcL wrote: »
    Second this. Simple solution that'll fit most phones. I've ridden over those really nasty screw down speed bumps repeatedly at around 30km/h (there was a reason for this - not just a masochistic streak) and the phone never budged.

I've ordered one! ðŸ‘

Bit of an update: should be collecting the bike and equipment sometime next week (probably Thursday) so i will post pics once collected. Then the proper training can begin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭py

I did something similar about 3 years ago without a whole lot of training, though it wasn't a solo ride. I did Dublin to Galway, I can PM you the route if you like. Iirc, I went from irregular commutes to one time 30Km, 50Km and 80Km rides before doing the full 200Km. Eat regularly (set a recurring alarm on your phone or GPS as a reminder to eat) and pace yourself.

py wrote: »
    I did something similar about 3 years ago without a whole lot of training, though it wasn't a solo ride. I did Dublin to Galway, I can PM you the route if you like. Iirc, I went from irregular commutes to one time 30Km, 50Km and 80Km rides before doing the full 200Km. Eat regularly (set a recurring alarm on your phone or GPS as a reminder to eat) and pace yourself.

If you don't mind, would you pm me the route? Thanks

JMcL wrote: »

I know I wrote below that I ordered it but when I click to pay by PayPal, it says there is a problem. Has anyone used the other method? There isn't a way of just entering your card number etc. Is this dodgy asking for a BIC etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

I have to say I wouldn't be a fan of putting a smartphone mount on my handlebars. Smartphones are fragile and if the mount fails you are down a phone which is a pretty expensive fail. Why not just record the ride with the phone in your pocket, it's a lot more secure. If you need directions, stop and look them up. Also if you have the phone on the handlebars with it on you'll burn through he battery in no time.

lissard wrote: »
    I have to say I wouldn't be a fan of putting a smartphone mount on my handlebars. Smartphones are fragile and if the mount fails you are down a phone which is a pretty expensive fail. Why not just record the ride with the phone in your pocket, it's a lot more secure. If you need directions, stop and look them up. Also if you have the phone on the handlebars with it on you'll burn through he battery in no time.

I understand where you're coming from but I have a sturdy case and a screen protector on my phone. It's more about directions rather than recording the cycle. After I get used to routes, I won't even need a phone for directions.

I am yet to fully decide the route I'm going to take. I'm pretty certain my first stop will be a 15/20 min break in Kilcock, about 20km into the journey. In the next few weeks, once I decide on the route, my friend and I will drive the route to Galway, just to get an idea of the roads, towns, rest stops etc. Plus I've never been to Galway, so it's an excuse to take a trip to the Wesht.

Does anyone use a GoPro when cycling? Any vids? I was thinking of getting one and attaching it to the handlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yeah I use one. Tend to use it when I'm abroad..

https://youtu.be/ys3oHzBnanw

I have pretty much decided the route I'm going to take. The date is still not certain, although it will be in July.

In the route below, Maynooth is 1st but I'll be starting from somewhere in Dublin about 20km from Maynooth. I plan on stopping for 5-10 mins at each town to grab something to eat and have a short break.

The route:
    http://imgur.com/KNWbE88

The Google Maps route:
    http://tinyurl.com/k29s64q

P.S - I have no idea how to embed pictures or maps to the post. Mods you can edit if you wish. Thanks

Advertisement