Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recognised Legal Genders in Ireland

• 17-04-2017 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I was wondering if you could help me out. In Ireland, are there more recognised genders (legally) than just male and female.

I see that in the New York, you can legally be recognised from a listing of 31 genders. In Australia it is 33.

I have had a look on TENI and a few other places, but can not seem to find an answer.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Under the current version of gender recognition legislation, you can apply to be recognised as male or female, so it's logical that it is just those two in Irish law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Trans or not, it's still a binary system in Ireland. Peoples' heads will start exploding if you try and change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

My understanding is Australia has extended an "other" gender option (X instead of M or F on paperwork) to some individuals after legal requests have been made, but I sincerely doubt they have legal recognition of 33 genders. I think that's in reference to a survey or a census or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I read the title as Recognised Legal tenders in Ireland

You can imagine my confusion now ;)

Advertisement