Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Roscommon

• 17-04-2017 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I just went sale agreed on a lovely little cottage just outside Roscommon town.

Looking for a little advice if I can

Anyone recommend a good builders providers?
    I'm from Dublin moving down on my own so starting the job search soon as well I know that's not going to be easy in the process of buying a car as well so it will make the search a little easier if I can travel to places.
    Ill have to stay in Dublin till I get a job more closer but sure it happens ill be a weekender till I'm settled.

I'm wondering about the water schemes I haven't found out yet but I think the house is on a group scheme how do I find out that end of country living is alien to me. the septic tank I know is fine but the water is the one that has me lost completely.

Any tips or advice is welcome and please there seems to be a lot of slating Roscommon going on here, can we leave that for another thread. I like where I'm going to its a little peace of heaven!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

Congrats on the sale agreed!
    Dont know about the water scheme, maybe get onto the Council. Best of luck with it all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Knock on the neighbours door and introduce yourself. Ask them about the group water scheme. Strange your solicitor didn't throw up this question while researching the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Try Garvey Builders providers in Roscommon town.http://www.heitonbuckley.ie/branches/garvey-builders-providers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A Group water scheme is fine. You'll be paying, probably on a metered supply, on what you use, possibly an annual fixed charge also.
    You, in effect, will be joining a cooperative that owns the scheme. The meter will be in a box by the side of the road, underground.
    Do, as Nekar says.

Water John wrote: »
    A Group water scheme is fine. You'll be paying, probably on a metered supply, on what you use, possibly an annual fixed charge also.
    You, in effect, will be joining a cooperative that owns the scheme. The meter will be in a box by the side of the road, underground.
    Do, as Nekar says.

On a group scheme, you are actually unlikely to exceed your personal allowance, so only the standing charge will be levied.

• Advertisement

They each have their own charging system and rate. No single template.

This is our local scheme.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/its-fairer-you-only-pay-for-what-you-use-190915.html

The difference with a Group scheme, and the Council/Irish water set-up, is that if you don't pay your Group Scheme, they will cut you off until you pony up the readies :D

In tech legal terms, they actually remove you as a coop member, so you no longer benefit from the service of the coop.
    Visited you GWS years ago.

Water John wrote: »
    In tech legal terms, they actually remove you as a coop member, so you no longer benefit from the service of the coop.
    Visited you GWS years ago.

Legally, yes, you are no longer a member.
    End result is the same, you get nothing when you turn on the tap!

Which is why Irish Water was doomed to failure as soon as it was announced that supply could not be turned off for non-payers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

...__... wrote:
    Anyone recommend a good builders providers? I'm from Dublin moving down on my own so starting the job search soon as well I know that's not going to be easy in the process of buying a car as well so it will make the search a little easier if I can travel to places. Ill have to stay in Dublin till I get a job more closer but sure it happens ill be a weekender till I'm settled.

Without the specific address where in the county are you moving too? Roscommon is a big county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Wards in Roscommon town is a decent hardware shop, with very helpful staff.
    Cooney's has a few shops north of the county.

Roscommon is great! Wishing you all the best for your move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Cheers for the help guys
    yes the solicitor told me earlier she will be looking after the water so panic over.
    She's actually from up the road so knows the area well and her cousin will be my neighbour small world considering she is based around the corner from me in Dublin.

Garveys part of Heitons so that's perfect Ill be opening an account there. cheers for that
    Ill be up beside Oran GAA club so not too far from the town at all and hopefully some job opportunities in the IDA park there.
    Probably ill be in a position to move full time by August September being realistic about the lack of jobs there. I would have thought Tourism would have been so much bigger than what it currently is.. something to give out to the td when he comes knocking at the door.

I currently work in food manufacturing went from production to sales so if I get the wheels would open a lot more possibilities for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Don't limit your job search to Roscommon town.
    Chances are you'll have a commute to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

...__... wrote:
    Garveys part of Heitons so that's perfect Ill be opening an account there. cheers for that Ill be up beside Oran GAA club so not too far from the town at all and hopefully some job opportunities in the IDA park there. Probably ill be in a position to move full time by August September being realistic about the lack of jobs there. I would have thought Tourism would have been so much bigger than what it currently is.. something to give out to the td when he comes knocking at the door.

Athlone is only 20miles from Roscommon. Good road all the way. Several companies based in Athlone involved in the food industry. From additives to end product.

ah I know ill have to commute I'm preparing for the worst possibly Galway or close by there a lot of companies I know that would be happy to help me out.

well just a little update.
    Got the keys 2 weeks ago couldn't be happier the neighbours are genuinely the nicest people on earth!
    no shortage to help me out the water issue is well sorted a great guy knew where the meter was off the top of his head popped by a few times to make sure I was settling in too.

haven't a car for a few weeks so that was a bit of a struggle but the taxi guys are a1 all of them no prob to come and collect me!

I'm living in paradise and couldn't be happier just need the job locally so I can stop renting in Dirty Dublin now!
    Anyone reading this d highly recommend the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fifigogo

Hi, sorry to jump on this thread but I'm looking to get out of Dublin with my filipino partner and nearly 4 year old boy. We've been looking around Leitrim for months but so far haven't been successful. We'll be commuting to Ck for our jobs so I'm just wondering can anyone recommend Rooskey? I don't know anything about Co Roscommon but Rooskey is only 20 or so mins to Ck, less than an hour to Athlone and about an hour to Sligo and 1hr 40mins to Dublin. The little lad will be starting school next year so a decent school nearby is important plus clubs for him to join in to keep him on his toes. We like to go bike riding, take walks, go to the cinema etc. so pub crawling and nightlife isn't what we're looking for. Would there be much anti-social behaviour? We're sick of Dublin and would like to be part of a town with a good, wholesome community spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

fifigogo wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to jump on this thread but I'm looking to get out of Dublin with my filipino partner and nearly 4 year old boy. We've been looking around Leitrim for months but so far haven't been successful. We'll be commuting to Ck for our jobs so I'm just wondering can anyone recommend Rooskey? I don't know anything about Co Roscommon but Rooskey is only 20 or so mins to Ck, less than an hour to Athlone and about an hour to Sligo and 1hr 40mins to Dublin. The little lad will be starting school next year so a decent school nearby is important plus clubs for him to join in to keep him on his toes. We like to go bike riding, take walks, go to the cinema etc. so pub crawling and nightlife isn't what we're looking for. Would there be much anti-social behaviour? We're sick of Dublin and would like to be part of a town with a good, wholesome community spirit.
    anti social behaviour in Rooskey? highly doubtful
    there's plenty of places to eat locally - Dromod, Tarmonbarry
    its a nice area.
    you'll have a few schools to choose from - Rooskey, Slatta and Dromod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Rooskeys lovely. You've the Shannon there which is a brilliant resource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

fifigogo wrote: »

try ballyleague lanesboro area also.note there are Filipinos working in this area also

• Advertisement
Advertisement