Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cluster feeding and growth spurts

Options
  • 17-04-2017 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I need some reassurance! I'm just wondering if what my baby is doing is normal cluster feeding or a growth spurt, or if there's something wrong with her feeding.

She's 6 weeks old today and just wants to be on the breast constantly. It started over 24 hours ago and is still going on.

What she's doing is just hanging around on the breast and suckling slowly. She's not having many periods of active feeding. She's getting drowsy and dozing off while suckling but she won't have a proper feed or a proper sleep. If I take her from the breast, even for a second, she starts screaming straight away. She's acting like she's starving but when I put her back on she just goes back to the slow, drowsy suckling. She is soaking nappies so she's obviously getting enough but I can't help worrying.

She has done this sort of thing before but for a few hours at a time, not days, and I put it down to cluster feeding.

I know there is a growth spurt at this time and I know cluster feeding is normal but my question is, should she be having really good feeds during a cluster feeding session and just having more of them? Or is this what normal cluster feeding / growth spurt days are like with the constant, lazy suckling?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I need some reassurance! I'm just wondering if what my baby is doing is normal cluster feeding or a growth spurt, or if there's something wrong with her feeding.

She's 6 weeks old today and just wants to be on the breast constantly. It started over 24 hours ago and is still going on.

What she's doing is just hanging around on the breast and suckling slowly. She's not having many periods of active feeding. She's getting drowsy and dozing off while suckling but she won't have a proper feed or a proper sleep. If I take her from the breast, even for a second, she starts screaming straight away. She's acting like she's starving but when I put her back on she just goes back to the slow, drowsy suckling. She is soaking nappies so she's obviously getting enough but I can't help worrying.

She has done this sort of thing before but for a few hours at a time, not days, and I put it down to cluster feeding.

I know there is a growth spurt at this time and I know cluster feeding is normal but my question is, should she be having really good feeds during a cluster feeding session and just having more of them? Or is this what normal cluster feeding / growth spurt days are like with the constant, lazy suckling?

Thanks

It's all normal! You're doing great! Follow babies lead, and once she's putting on weight and having plenty wet/dirty nappies, just keep on boobin! After the next couple of weeks you should start to notice feeds spacing out a bit! Well done!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Six/seven weeks is a major growth spurt!!They start to look around now,take stuff in more and visibly respond to your smiles and voice!!It"s a biggie, so run with it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Totally normal. The cluster feeding at growth spurts usually lasts 2-4 days with my wee man. He's almost three months old now so I'm gearing up for another soon.

Do you have The Wonder Weeks app? It's great for all this sort of stuff, particularly for their fussy spells around the mental development leaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

This is completely normal, waterfaerie. It's hard when you are going through them but they do pass in a few days. My little one was like that too- spending ages on the breast but not drinking a lot. She would get upset if I took her off so I just went with it and kept switching sides. As you said, once baby is having plenty of wet nappies, that's the main thing. It's her way of building up your supply. I second checking out the wonder weeks app, it's very accurate and you know when the next leap will begin so you can be some bit prepared for it! It will get easier over the next few weeks. You're doing great ��

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Thanks so much for the replies. It's such a relief to know it's normal!

I haven't got the app but I've read about the wonder weeks online. I was expecting a growth spurt but I didn't know how crazy it was going to be! It was much more intense than the 3-4 week one.

Kylie, thanks for letting me know yours was similar. It's always great support and reassuring to hear you're not alone.

We're back to normal now, thankfully. I'm dreading the next leap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

You're welcome, waterfaerie! Enjoy your time with your little one. It does get easier and by this time next year, you'll have forgotten about all these leaps! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Sounds like youre doing great! Mine did the same at around 5/6 weeks - the longest he did was 8hrs, but it went on for about a week, then he suddenly stopped and slept all night and never looked back, he's 6.5 months now and only wakes if sick/gassy or teething!:) So it does pass - I got through a good load of books to keep awake!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Thanks so much for the replies. It's such a relief to know it's normal!

I haven't got the app but I've read about the wonder weeks online. I was expecting a growth spurt but I didn't know how crazy it was going to be! It was much more intense than the 3-4 week one.

Kylie, thanks for letting me know yours was similar. It's always great support and reassuring to hear you're not alone.

We're back to normal now, thankfully. I'm dreading the next leap!

A heads up too... you're coming up on the 2 month vaccination shots. Be prepared for a clingy, hungry baby for a few days (at least that was our experience... same after the 4 month jabs)

Advertisement