Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIGHT SHOOTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Nor on the Kindle.. Keep getting the message "shouldn't be here" on the screen.

I found it difficult to fill in the petition, I know that 90% of lads in my club don't use computers so I'd reckon the return on the petition will be disastrous,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Get out the good old pen and paper then. It all counts. For what its worth, i found it difficult to sign from the computer, but i got it done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The petition is not easy to do. IT should be as simple as name, e-mail and sign. The password thing, etc. make it much more complicated.

As for petitions while i support them i hold out no hope. The last one we ran got under 2,000 signatures in over 6 weeks. As there are over 140,000 or so firearm owners that is terrible. Barely 1%.

Between here, Facebook, Facebook groups, etc. there are easily 10,000 potential signatures and much more through word of mouth.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Should use www.change.org.The easiest site for petitions anywhere.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Cass wrote: »
    You may very well be right. However it would take a class action to determine
    ...which isn't permitted in Ireland. (Seriously, we have about a thousand cases going through the High Court right now over a medical implant debacle and each has to be heard separately and it's totally overwhelming the court system).
    It's something that's badly needed (and which would do shooters a world of good as well as us plebs in general), but there's no real moves that I know about to introduce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

I signed the petition today eventually.guys in our club hadn't heard of the petition or the reason for it.i sent them a msg with the link for the petition and a simple,ps,at the end asking for the receiver to send it on to everyone and so on.simple I know but alot of signatures to be had by it.

Did not know that. Little bit of the CSI effect i think. Seen it so many times just assumed it was common place. :o

Although in hindsight it makes sense now. In that it explains why so many cases are heard separately. Often wondered why people done this instead of one single case.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Did not know that. Little bit of the CSI effect i think. Seen it so many times just assumed it was common place. :o

Although in hindsight it makes sense now. In that it explains why so many cases are heard separately. Often wondered why people done this instead of one single case.

The law in Ireland is a bit of an ass, as Stephen Fry is discovering, thanks to our old friend Dermot Ahern.

A notice should be stuck up in every club house, and an email circular done by all shooting clubs. Its amazing how many shooting people you talk to who haven't a notion this stroke was being pulled.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103489341&postcount=855
    Sparks wrote: »
    Thursday, 11 May 2017
    Eamon O'Cuiv
    167. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht her plans to introduce a ban on hunting and shooting between 12 a.m. and 6 a.m. from 1 September to 31 March each year; the implications this could have for farmers, particularly on commonages that use shooting and hunting as a way of controlling foxes that attack sheep; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [22494/17]

Heather Humphreys (Cavan-Monaghan, Fine Gael)
    It is my understanding that a report has been produced by a working group set up by the Firearms Consultative Panel of the Department of Justice and Equality which recommends best practice guidelines on the issue of shooting and hunting at night. The report is now with the Firearms Consultative Panel itself and it is a matter for that body to further consider the recommendations in the report. An official of the National Parks and Wildlife Service of my Department is a member of the Firearms Consultative Panel.
    I should state that I would support any best practice guidelines that promote health and safety but at the same time allows farmers/landowners protect their livelihoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

Sparks wrote: »
    "Great"
    The bullsh1t has just reached the bullsh1tters

• Advertisement

How many have signed the petition now ? I cannot seem to find it online. Talking to a few lads today and they reckoned it was too difficult for them to register and sign, they are older, less tech savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

gunny123 wrote: »
    How many have signed the petition now ? I cannot seem to find it online. Talking to a few lads today and they reckoned it was too difficult for them to register and sign, they are older, less tech savvy.

735 to date.that ain't gonna cut it.

stevep1018 wrote: »
    735 to date.that ain't gonna cut it.

Yes that is a bit pathetic :(.

Normally i'd agree but the petition is not exactly the easiest to sign. I had trouble myself and there are reports of lads going through a lot of hoops to try and sign it and still not being able.

For a petition to actually work you need to make it as simple as possible. All this registration, password, etc. malarkey is only going to put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

Normally i'd agree but the petition is not exactly the easiest to sign. I had trouble myself and there are reports of lads going through a lot of hoops to try and sign it and still not being able.

For a petition to actually work you need to make it as simple as possible. All this registration, password, etc. malarkey is only going to put people off.
    There is 1 on the website that can be downloaded and printed out and signed by about 20 people. Be worth it if people printed them off and got other people to sign them and sent them back

I know, but my point is that is another step, another thing someone has to do.

Not being awkward here. I said before that petitions from the shooting community have a very low success rate, but to make sure you get as many signatures as possible it has to be as simple as "Yes/Agree" or "No/Disagree".

You ask people to do too much, even while sitting on their couch at home, and they simply won't sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I have signed it online and it was a bit of a dose to do TBH.

It is also on the Agenda for our upcoming Club Agm and we have all been given a copy of the petition.

I'd say that most people still don't understand the implications of its introduction as I have met 3 lads in the last few days (duck shooters) who didn't figure that it would affect them at all cos they wouldn't be "shooting" before 6 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

A copy of the petition was sent to every club.

Our lads have them available at a meeting tomorrow with return envelopes.

A version of it is also available to download off cavan rgc Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Vizzy wrote: »
    I have signed it online and it was a bit of a dose to do TBH.

It is also on the Agenda for our upcoming Club Agm and we have all been given a copy of the petition.

I'd say that most people still don't understand the implications of its introduction as I have met 3 lads in the last few days (duck shooters) who didn't figure that it would affect them at all cos they wouldn't be "shooting" before 6 am.

'Stick together or hang separately' - that's what happened here on mainland UK, as every single handgun shooter got stuffed because of the lack of unity between shooters of all kinds, in support of shooters of all kinds...

'I don't shoot pistols, so the ban doesn't effect me' and 'I'm a rifle shooter...' or 'I do pest control...'

The other million+ shooters let all of us handgun shooters go down the pan.

Just remind these folks with their dog-in-the-manger attitude that their FACs are as tenuous and ephemeral as anybody else's, and are seemingly granted on a whim by the PTB. They are, as my dad used to say, promises written on fog - 'Scríofa ar ceo...'

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

There is 1 on the website that can be downloaded and printed out and signed by about 20 people. Be worth it if people printed them off and got other people to sign them and sent them back

Where, I'm going to bring that to work and get the whole company to sign it.

Also dont rest on your laurels after Ye sign a puny petition. It seems that these petition with low returns will do more harm than good as the low take-up will by default infer an acceptance of this horsesh--t.
    The best course of action is the direct approach. If people contact the politicians directly then this will lose traction fast... It is rubbish that is being trust onto a mainly rural country that doesnt want it..

Finally I see the bull****ers claiming that they'd accept changes to improve health and safety whilst protecting the right to others protect the livelyhood.
    WHAT ABOUT MY F....ing right to pursue my chosen interests- my legitimate pastime which btw AGS clearly defined as 'not a sport' in their guidance documents. Make Ye think that it was planned.
    How does health and safety legislation cross into something which is seen as a hobby or at-least it's not seen as job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

Replies to a few emails but sounds like the usual fob off to me. At least FineGeal replied no word from the shinners or FF
    but i didn't really expect much to be honest. Is there any updates or news on this?

"I am directed by the Minister of State, David Stanton, T.D. to refer to
    your correspondence dated 18th April concerning the report from the working
    group on night time shooting.

The Minister understands that the report was discussed at a meeting of the
    Firearms Consultative Panel on April 20th. It was agreed that organisations
    represented on the panel could submit views on the report in writing. The
    deadline for receipt of submissions is 1 June.

The Minister further notes that the matter will be discussed by the full
    membership of the Firearms Consultative Panel at a future meeting following
    receipt and consideration of any further submissions raised.

The contents of your email have been noted and forwarded to the chair of
    the working group who drafted the report.

Yours sincerely,

Yvonne Phillips
    Private Secretary to the Minister of State
    with special responsibility for Equality, Immigration & Integration"

"Thank you for contacting me in relation to the above matter. I am making enquiries into this and I will revert to you as soon as I receive a response. I would be grateful if you could provide me with your full address and contact details for databasing purposes.

Please be assured that I will revert to you as soon as I receive further information.

Kind regards and best wishes,

raw?appid=YahooMailNeo&ymreqid=04a0b393-a950-8273-01e9-1b0041010000&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBZdwK8BzaniyW5ObWKCZIRL3IJjQLodR8RTROBsJXc7PMJHeV9r-FaSPxcT9kvMgnyldJA8i3vzfiNePJFcLA02
    Minister Marcella Corcoran Kennedy T.D. 
    Minister of State for Health Promotion
    Constituency Office
    5 The Courtyard | Emmet Street | Birr | Co. Offaly R42 KD43
    Ph: 057- 91 25825 - Fax: 057- 91 22865"

Shocking fob off. Don't ask me about it take it up with the NARGC.

Meeting in Cavan Last Night and petitions along with self addressed envelopes handed out to all clubs with a message get them in Mondasys post. Also hear that there is a meeting on Saturday in Tullamore with the NARGC. Id love to be there but i'm on nights, because i would love to have a say.

Agenda items include Night time shooting and how we were sold down the river by our own. Its good to see a meeting being called about stuff that really affects us and not chicken ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

I normally don't take much heed of antis but when they're crediting and praising the Sports coalition for their role in the FCP proposals to severely restrict lamping and night shooting it just goes to show how stupid the whole debacle is. Since this story broke a few weeks ago there has been complete silence from the SC. No statement, no update on their website, and nothing on Facebook.
    There are a number of questions to be asked about the SC in its current guise:
    -Who are the SC? Whose left??
    -Who's on their executive committee?
    -What's their agenda?
    -Where is the chairman and how was the acting chairman elected? What's the relationship between these two individuals?
    -Will they be making a statement on the current debacle?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

I normally don't take much heed of antis but when they're crediting and praising the Sports coalition for their role in the FCP proposals to severely restrict lamping and night shooting it just goes to show how stupid the whole debacle is. Since this story broke a few weeks ago there has been complete silence from the SC. No statement, no update on their website, and nothing on Facebook.
    There are a number of questions to be asked about the SC in its current guise:
    -Who are the SC? Whose left??
    -Who's on their executive committee?
    -What's their agenda?
    -Where is the chairman and how was the acting chairman elected? What's the relationship between these two individuals?
    -Will they be making a statement on the current debacle?

What paper was that in???

The Kerryman.

Ol John "Assaulting a Garda "Tierney at it again.He had to dig up a picture from America of a COYOTE and a AR15 with a Nite site for his article??:P:P:P:D:D:D:D We should mailbomb the Kerryman for that alone..:D:D:D

On a more serious note,it is time we start taking the SC apart if it is not fit for purpose anymore.Lets find out who is in charge and who is supporting them and simply state,in very Donald Trump tones.."You're fired!"

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Going by the SC website of March 2017 Paul Walsh is acting chairman...Take it from there folks.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    simply state,in very Donald Trump tones.."You're fired!"

Remember, the international dialling code is 00-7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

That Tierney letter looks a lot like libel to me.

AFAIK you've got to diminish the character of a clearly-identified person or group.

If you're out with a gun and lamp at night, you're pretty identifiable.

Advertisement