Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

congress/convention

Options
  • 17-04-2017 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Lots of strong views on here.
    Who actually goes to convention or congress?

Just arrived in Cork here for the TUI congress.

Anyone else active in real life?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm heading to cork in the morning for the first time to the TUI conference. I'm excited and daunted!

The book is bloody huge!!

Edit: actually have you been before? What's the dress code?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I'm heading to cork in the morning for the first time to the TUI conference. I'm excited and daunted!

The book is bloody huge!!

Edit: actually have you been before? What's the dress code?!

Not formal but I'd leave the tracksuit n runners at home.

Not formal but I'd leave the tracksuit n runners at home.

Perfect. What about the dinner? Dress? I'm such a tomboy 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Never been to congress, but I'm active. I heard about the proposed ballot from one of my colleagues who is down in Cork. Good news. I was worried that Joan wasn't too fussed on the issue of pay parity, so I'm happy it's still at the front of the TUI agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

TUI executive once again show they couldn't care less about parity thankfully the delegates sent a message. For all the misinformation about the unions selling new members out in 2011 the only union that has even came close to it is the TUI executive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Lots of strong views on here.
    Who actually goes to convention or congress?

Just arrived in Cork here for the TUI congress.

Here in cork too.

I'm very torn on that proposed ballot. I didn't like the wording of that motion at all. We already have a ballot on this. And if you think we needed a new one, Why say 'in' September? It should have been 'by' September. All that ballot will do is slow things down in the new school year.

I was delighted that the executive ammendment was beaten however.

I would have been happier if we got to the second motion in the section 236. I think that was much stronger than the first and instructed the exec to recommend rejection of any pay agreement that didn't get equal pay for equal work. Though again I completely disagreed with the exec's proposed amendment which would have completely watered it down

Edit: I was not involved in proposing of either motion btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Agree with you on 236, would be much better if exec had to recommend rejection if no pay parity.

Also agree, by September would be so much better than in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Agree with you on 236, would be much better if exec had to recommend rejection if no pay parity.

Goes to show that you can't just fire in motions without thinking them through fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

How could you vote by September. The lr2 pay deal wouldn't be out in time for us to ballot before the summer. There are rules abou notice of ballots to be followed. Its not practical to run a ballot during the summer. There would be a small turnout and any mandate given would be questioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

How could you vote by September. The lr2 pay deal wouldn't be out in time for us to ballot before the summer. There are rules abou notice of ballots to be followed. Its not practical to run a ballot during the summer. There would be a small turnout and any mandate given would be questioned.

Surely there would be enough time in the 7 weeks before schools breaks up?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JD3112

I'm very torn on that proposed ballot. I didn't like the wording of that motion at all. We already have a ballot on this. And if you think we needed a new one, Why say 'in' September? It should have been 'by' September. All that ballot will do is slow things down in the new school year.

I was delighted that the executive ammendment was beaten however.

I would have been happier if we got to the second motion in the section 236. I think that was much stronger than the first and instructed the exec to recommend rejection of any pay agreement that didn't get equal pay for equal work. Though again I completely disagreed with the exec's proposed amendment which would have completely watered it down

Edit: I was not involved in proposing of either motion btw!

What amendment did they want to add in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think it's looking like October/November will be annual strike season... so to cause as little disruption as possible.

Advertisement