Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brighton and Hove Albion - promoted to the first division.

• 17-04-2017 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Well done! They made it far more nervy than should have been the case but they are back in the promised land. It's a long way from the Goldstone Ground in the late 90s when the club seemed on the edge of oblivion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,386 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Great scenes - delighted for Chris Hughton another shot at the Premier League for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Pedantically speaking, they're not mathematically there yet. However.....

Huddersfield will have to make up 12 points and 32 goals to overhaul them in their remaining 4 games, including the one they're currently playing at Derby (1 up as I speak, er, type).
    ;)

Well done to Brighton. Delighted for Chris Hughton. He seems a decent fella and got an extremely raw deal at Newcastle. He's earned another shot at the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Always said Richie Towell would make it to the premier league..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Another one for the Super Sunday. Best league in the world me bollix

sugarman wrote: »
    Theyve been in the top flight before, im sorry but football wasnt just invented by sky in 1992 FFS.
    Did anyone say they weren't?

Anyway, Derby have just held Huddersfield to a 1-1 draw. So that mathematically confirms Brighton's promotion. Well done to the Seagulls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yes? ...the thread title:rolleyes:

As I said, football didnt start or even change with a re branding in 1992.

By that logic the BPL in no more as of last season and we are in a new era of the EPL.

The creation of the premier league wasn't a simple rebrand of the top league.

The top league broke away from the football league as it was then to create an elite league.

Does your thinking extend to saying that Everton last won the premier league in 1987?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭manutd83

I live near Brighton and been to 6 or 7 games this season,to be fair to Chris Houghton he has them playing well and and it is well deserved,AMEX stadium is a great little stadium well fit for the PL

Yes? ...the thread title:rolleyes:

As I said, football didnt start or even change with a re branding in 1992.

By that logic the BPL in no more as of last season and we are in a new era of the EPL.
    The thread title says "Premier League". Which is correct. It's a separate entity, run by a totally different body to the old First Division. You obviously see it differently. Fine. We'll have to agree to disagree on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,014 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Delighted for Chris Hughton really seems one of the good guys.

Hopefully a future Ireland manager.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Delighted for Brighton and Chris Hughton....great guy and well deserves his success.

• Advertisement

More luck to them. They've been knocking on the door for a couple of years. We (weds) mugged them in the playoffs last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

blueser wrote: »
    The thread title says "Premier League". Which is correct. It's a separate entity, run by a totally different body to the old First Division. You obviously see it differently. Fine. We'll have to agree to disagree on it.

The top tier is the top tier is the top tier. Call it what you want but it's still the top tier. And Brighton have been in the top tier before. So this thread is a non-story in the context of making this feel like a first time achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The top tier is the top tier is the top tier. Call it what you want but it's still the top tier. And Brighton have been in the top tier before. So this thread is a non-story in the context of making this feel like a first time achievement

This. It's the league whether its the old Division 1 or the Premiership or whatever it's called, honest to god some people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

blueser wrote: »

What exactly is your point? Does it matter who runs it or what its called, it's still the top league/division and you still have to earn the right to play in it. Maybe its an age thing but this distinction between the old Div 1 and Prem/epl in footballing terms anyway makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,386 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Yes it's the top division whatever you want to call it, however the financial landscape of the top division has changed immensely since Brighton were last there.

They have been battling against clubs who have been there and reaped the rewards (clubs with the added help then of parachute payments) for a good few years now, for them to finally achieve promotion and looking like doing so as champions is a great achievement for them.

Theyve been in the top flight before, im sorry but football wasnt just invented by sky in 1992 FFS.

Had a decent team back then in the 1980s with the likes Michael Robinson and Steve Foster playing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Delighted for Chris Hughton and Brighton. Always love seeing teams getting promoted who i've never seen play in the Premier League before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Impressive job by Chris Hughton. Went from 20th to third to promoted since he took over. I'm delighted for him. I feel he got a raw deal at Newcastle and Norwich (who went down anyway that season). I reckon he'll be better for it and more determined this time round. Echo the comments that I reckon he'd be good for Ireland at some stage, too.

Happy for Brighton as well. The new stadium seems to have been a launching pad for them to move up the league the last few years. I look forward to seeing them give it a go in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Delighted for Chris Hughton. As a Newcastle fan I was disgusted with how Ashley treated him and I really hope he works out in the PL for brighton.
    Even if they start to struggle I hope they stick with him as he deserves a chance in the big league.

Brighton have extended Richie Towell's contract today till 2019.

Has he played a full game for them yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Has he played a full game for them yet?

Look how long Messi was at Barca before he got first team action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

their looking to send him on loan to the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I'd say they want to loan him out in the hope that he plays well and they can sell him for a reasonable amount. He obviously has no future at Brighton under Hughton.

He might be better off going to a competitive League One side rather than a struggling Championship team, if he really wants to get back on track and build up his confidence. It's very important that he goes to the right club on loan.

Well done to Huddersfield Town A.F.C. on there first time in the Premier League a bigger achievement than Brighton reaching I think but not big enough to be given there own thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

only taken them 45 years to get back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Happy for Chris Hugton and delighted to see my favourite Championship player of the last few seasons finally get his chance in the PL (Knockaert)

Oh yeah, gutted for Stam today, looked good through the first three penalties! Big congrats to Huddersfield though

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Very happy to see Huddersfield back up in the top flight. I'm not buying the first time ever crap, football was not invented by Sky in 1992. This is a club with a long history, including winning 3 successive league titles back in the day.

Spent a great weekend there back 25 or so years ago, and attended a Division 2 game in the old Leeds Road ground, not long before the McAlpine Stadium was built, so I've always kept an eye on their results.

Think it's good overall to have a Yorkshire team back in the EPL. With Leeds from up the road a bit of a basket case Huddersfield has a chance of getting good gates I'd imagine. The league is in danger of becoming a Greater London/South East league, so regional balance is to be welcomed in my opinion. I for one wish them well and hope they can get a foothold in the League Division spend a few years there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Very happy to see Huddersfield back up in the top flight. I'm not buying the first time ever crap, football was not invented by Sky in 1992. This is a club with a long history, including winning 3 successive league titles back in the day.

Football wasn't invented in 1992 but the Premier League was so it's quite correct to say that it's their first time ever in the Premier League. Obviously it's also correct to say that it's their first time in the top flight in over 40 years as a club's history is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Think it's good overall to have a Yorkshire team back in the EPL. With Leeds from up the road a bit of a basket case Huddersfield has a chance of getting good gates I'd imagine. The league is in danger of becoming a Greater London/South East league, so regional balance is to be welcomed in my opinion. I for one wish them well and hope they can get a foothold in the League Division spend a few years there.

2 North East teams replaced by 1.

Eastern team replaced by Yorkshire team.

Then Brighton right at the bottom to join Bournemouth and Southampton

Leaves next year like this
    6 London teams - Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Palace & Watford

6 North West teams - Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Everton, Stoke & Burnley.

3 Southern Teams - Southampton, Bournemouth and Brighton

2 Midlands teams - West Brom & Leicester

1 Welsh team - Swansea

1 North East team - Newcastle

1 Yorkshire team - Huddersfield

• Advertisement
Advertisement