Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car service Dublin 15

Options
  • 17-04-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Anyone know of any good value garages in the area to carry out a regular yearly full service? Just moved into the area so hoping for a bit of local knowledge to help me out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've been using Coolmine Motors for years. Sound bunch of lads who always do a good job and I've never left with the feeling that I'd been ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

My advice would be to stay away from Atlas. Used them three times, car had to go back each time for them to finish the job properly.

I should've stopped after the first time but it's very convenient for us and I'm clearly lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

How much Zaph for a regular service roughly would you know?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think it's usually around €130 for my Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Actually I've found Atlas good. But myself and my family generally use Aidan English down in Blanchardstown Village 820 5757. Good value and nice guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Atlas is quoting 175 euro for a bog standard Kia...I'm looking for something less than that..what would Aidan be pricewise you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My mam just paid 110 for Aidan for her Hyundai. I've in the past paid 90 for my Renault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I use Philip Walsh in Dunsinea Works, always reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I wouldn’t be going down the who’s cheapest road
    More who does it properly and to the fullest, without shilling needless repairs onto you when you collect it.

Go to all recommendations or call and see what they do and don’t do.

I use Martin Talbot in Sheepmoor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I've used Fleming Garage up in Blanchardstown Business park. Always very happy with them.
    http://www.flemingsgarage.ie/car-servicing-and-repairs.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I've been using Coolmine Motors for years and have recommended them to anyone who's asked.

They give you a rough estimate upfront where possible (pretty much every time in my case) and give you options ie. X for this Chinese tyre or Y for that European one, A for patching up an exhaust or B for fitting a new one.

True story: About a year ago, my car was making this horribe squeaking sound whenever I got down to around 5km/h, would also squeal quite a bit in the morning so I brought it up to Atlas just to price it.

They kept the car for an hour or two and then told me it was a handbrake issue and quoted me €350 to fix. I thanked them for their time and drove out.

The next week I brought it to Coolmine motors, handed them the keys and said let me know what the craic is. They gave me a call and told me car is ready, popped around and the following took place.

"Simple fix, just replaced the pin and it's all sorted"
    "So it's not squeaking?"
    "Nope, it's fine"
    "How much?"
    "Free of charge, you can get me next time"

Never going anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Coolmine Motors are great for looking after their customers like that. I've been using them for years and they've fixed simple things for free for me a few times. At one point there was an issue with the car after they fixed something (not their fault, the part was faulty) and they came to the house, had a look, figured out what the issue was and managed to get it started so they could bring it to the garage. They didn't charge anything for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

avoid ATLAS , the guy at the front desk is friendly and well intentioned but they haven't a clue about cars , bit like going to a lovely friendly doctor who can't make a diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Discount Tyres in Rosemount is my usual car servicing place in D15.
    Bit out of the way but they will bring you back into Blanch if you need a lift.

Know some of the guys working there, v good prices for tyres & tracking (with Hunter machine) too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I've used Fleming Garage up in Blanchardstown Business park. Always very happy with them.
    http://www.flemingsgarage.ie/car-servicing-and-repairs.html

+1 for Flemings,very nice people to deal with,and very reasonable price wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

ongarite wrote: »
    Discount Tyres in Rosemount is my usual car servicing place in D15.
    Bit out of the way but they will bring you back into Blanch if you need a lift.

Know some of the guys working there, v good prices for tyres & tracking (with Hunter machine) too.

Meh,
    I rang them two years ago and asked how much do they charge for wheel alignment,€40 he said.Grand I said,be over in half an hour.They done the alignment and asked me for €55.Pointed out the fact I had rang them that very morning and I was told it was €40,and price was reduced.

Never again.

I used to use Discount Tyres.

Had hassle, put it on a thread about servicing, employee from there is on boards so contacted me, discounted work and you guessed it more hassle in long term (whistling breaks as they used cheap parts).
    Got a few services done in it (yearly ones), not once did they change coolant or even suggest it, makes you wonder what else they didn’t do.

Car passed NCT, few things needed checking, usual you need to spend hundreds, go to two other mechanics, spent about a hundred or so a tip wood car still going.

The best was I asked the main mechanic about a noise, come back hours later to collect car, I could not hear noise as window was closed.

Might as well give you all another story.

Coolant was a brown colour (between rust a mixed coolants), so I went to atlas in a panic as had a head gasket go in another car. Receptionist/mechanic says oh we are too busy come back in a few days and I wouldn’t be driving that car.

Then proceed to tell me the finglas branch was much quieter if you wanted to go over and get them to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Anyone know if Coolmine will fit parts for the car that you can get online etc? Atlas and these other jokers try charge ya an extra 40/50 quid for something you can get off Micks handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DB01

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Anyone know if Coolmine will fit parts for the car that you can get online etc? Atlas and these other jokers try charge ya an extra 40/50 quid for something you can get off Micks handy enough

Hi did you go ahead and get parts replaced with Coolmine? I got a good quote from them for replacing parts, but I'm hesitant to go with them as they won't email the quote, it's just verbal. Seems strange to me.

• Advertisement

DB01 wrote: »
    Hi did you go ahead and get parts replaced with Coolmine? I got a good quote from them for replacing parts, but I'm hesitant to go with them as they won't email the quote, it's just verbal. Seems strange to me.

Yeah got my car serviced with them...they wouldn't be the emailing types.

Did a decent enough job but will be going elsewhere for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

jeffk wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be going down the who’s cheapest road
    More who does it properly and to the fullest, without shilling needless repairs onto you when you collect it.

Go to all recommendations or call and see what they do and don’t do.

I use Martin Talbot in Sheepmoor

Also we (family and friends) go to Martin for years

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Yeah got my car serviced with them...they wouldn't be the emailing types.

Did a decent enough job but will be going elsewhere for the next one.

Thanks for replying. Why wouldn't you use them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Ive been using coolmine motors since I moved to the area in 2012. Ive an old astra (13 years old now) and its sailed through the nct each time. Always felt I got value for money so Id have no problem recommending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I've used "P Walsh" in Scribblestown D15 a good few times - sourced parts for me at a better price than I could find them online and did a great job.

http://www.paxad.ie/pwalshautoservices

“Roll it back”

Just wanted to update as I was looking for advice last month. Thanks so much for all replies.

I ended up going to Global Service Centre just off the Ongar Road and I would highly recommend them. They did the job for a third of the original quote I received. I've since had a minor maintenance job done there too and it was completed in a few minutes while I waited and again a very fair price.

DB01 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. Why wouldn't you use them again?

Had whistling breaks for the longest..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Thomas16

I used to use Discount Tyres.

Had hassle, put it on a thread about servicing, employee from there is on boards so contacted me, discounted work and you guessed it more hassle in long term (whistling breaks as they used cheap parts).
    Got a few services done in it (yearly ones), not once did they change coolant or even suggest it, makes you wonder what else they didn’t do.

Car passed NCT, few things needed checking, usual you need to spend hundreds, go to two other mechanics, spent about a hundred or so a tip wood car still going.

The best was I asked the main mechanic about a noise, come back hours later to collect car, I could not hear noise as window was closed.

Hi,

May I know, Which is good, Coolmine motors or Discount tyres to do a full service for my 2007 car?

Which service centre following manufacture's prescribed Oil and plugs?

Thank You

I wouldn't use discount tyre's,others have said coolmine are good

I'm using Martin Talbot Motors myself.

Suppose you can ring either and see if they'll do what you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Thomas16

I wouldn't use discount tyre's,others have said coolmine are good

I'm using Martin Talbot Motors myself.

Suppose you can ring either and see if they'll do what you want

Hi,

Thank You...

I saw your previous posts, you did use Discount Tyres before.
    Was not happy with their service?

Martin Talbot Motors is too far for me as I'm living in Clonsilla & recently moved to this area.

I got quote from two places, 130 from Coolmine & 140 from discount tyres.
    I'm preferring genuine guys, especially Irish guys :)

Thank You

Advertisement