Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car service Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well the guys in Coolmine Motors are Lithuanian, but tbh I can't see what difference that makes. They're genuine, honest guys who have always done a great job on our two cars. As regards a garage using the manufacturer's recommended oil and plugs, I'd say that the only way you could guarantee that is to use a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

As Zaph says re brand name oil etc, to me and ive been told by some mechanics. Its the same part just different stamp/packaging etc.

Plus I doubt any good mechanic will use the cheapest of the cheap oil etc, causing issues and losing customers.

I know herself has had two bad experiences with non Irish owned garages and the main "mechanic" in Discount was non Irish and to be short wast not good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

If it's just a minor service bring it to a main dealer, I paid €140 from DG gowan on the navan road for a service and a 40 point check. My engine is 1.8 petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Thomas16

Zaph wrote: »
    Well the guys in Coolmine Motors are Lithuanian, but tbh I can't see what difference that makes. They're genuine, honest guys who have always done a great job on our two cars. As regards a garage using the manufacturer's recommended oil and plugs, I'd say that the only way you could guarantee that is to use a main dealer.

Hi,

I got a quote for full service = 130 euro

In Full servicing, following parts will change and around price for that (from google)

1. Oil and Oil Filter = 35
    2. AirFilter = 50
    3. Spark Plugs = 40

Total 125, then they top up all fluids, health checks etc.

I'm wondering, what's their profit & how they find labour charge!!??

Thank You

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Thomas16

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Today I got my car serviced by Alex Autoservice.
    Charged only 102 euro for full service (15% promotional discount).

Alex seems good and honest man. Explained well all my queries.
    My car's one of CV boot cracked. so needs to replace, quote 70euro.

So far happy...

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HighOctane

Hi, can anyone recommend a good place for ECU repair? I have seen a few online like Autotechnik Ireland, Auto Key and MACTRONIC but they dont have many ECU related reviews.

HighOctane wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone recommend a good place for ECU repair? I have seen a few online like Autotechnik Ireland, Auto Key and MACTRONIC but they dont have many ECU related reviews.

Unless you're looking specifically for somewhere in the Dublin 15 area you might have better luck over on the Motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

HighOctane wrote: »

Try giving sportchip.ie a call.

They are based in D15 and Greg there is very knowledgable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just throw another shout out to Coolmine motors. Full service on my Mazda 6 on Saturday €160. The lad I delt with couldn't have been nicer, not at all pushy, and they took it in on Saturday morning after me only calling them on the Friday so fair dues.

So thanks for the recommendations on here. I'd been looking for a local reasonably priced and decent mechanic for a while. Looks like I finally have one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭shinju

The lad I felt with..

Careful now, you could be exposing yourself to Harvey Weinstein type accusations there.

Just throw another shout out to Coolmine motors. Full service on my Mazda 6 on Saturday €160. The lad I felt with couldn't have been nicer, not at all pushy, and they took it in on Saturday morning after me only calling them on the Friday so fair dues.

So thanks for the recommendations on here. I'd been looking for a local reasonably priced and decent mechanic for a while. Looks like I finally have one.

What exactly did they do for €160 euro though and what brand of oils and filters where used?

shinju wrote: »
    What exactly did they do for €160 euro though and what brand of oils and filters where used?

All the filters, oil change etc.

A full service.

As for what brands I don't know. It's a 7 year old Mazda though not a high end Porsche so once they're doing the service I don't care if they're not using Mazda top end recommended oils etc.

All the filters, oil change etc.

A full service.

As for what brands I don't know. It's a 7 year old Mazda though not a high end Porsche so once they're doing the service I don't care if they're not using Mazda top end recommended oils etc.

Yet still important to know what was done in terms of a "full" service in terms of comparing.

i.e.

Oil change
    Oil filter
    Air Filter

Cabin Filter
    Fuel Filter
    Spark Plugs (petrol vehicle)

Labour charge

Additionals:
    Coolant top-up
    Brake fluid top-up

I just did an intermediate service very quickly on my partners car this evening.

OIL (Liqui Moly Toptech, German Oil) €50
    OIL Filter: €10
    Air Filter: €24

Total €84

Someone else above mentioned:

2. AirFilter = 50
    3. Spark Plugs = 40

Air filters can be got from €8+ and Spark Plugs from €5 each at trade prices.

So they are probably more than doubling profits on some parts.

Another thing I absolutely detest about garages is that they quote you a price, you agree, they do the work and when you go to pay they then slap on VAT.

So a €100 quote ends up being €123.

Deplorable.

To be fair, the points you've made above are probably true for every single non-main dealer garage in the country, not just in Dublin 15, so I think that discussion would probably be more suited to the Motors forum than here.

Zaph wrote: »
    To be fair, the points you've made above are probably true for every single non-main dealer garage in the country, not just in Dublin 15, so I think that discussion would probably be more suited to the Motors forum than here.

True. My point is that people are mentioning garages doing "full service" in the D15 area. They mention prices and how happy they are afterwards and recommend these places.

I live 5mins up the road from some of the places mentioned and would not be happy bringing my vehicles into them.

What exactly does the "full service" include though or is it a "full" oil service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I just did an intermediate service very quickly on my partners car this evening.

OIL (Liqui Moly Toptech, German Oil) ...

Can you point to a good guide or some hints on doing a mess-less oil change - its something I need do myself...
    Its a very old mazda... I know 160/170 is the going rate - but it still seems very steep for an oil change to me.

I was thinking of getting one of those oil pumps rather than having get under the car...
    http://amzn.to/2jDPYbs

“Roll it back”

Yet still important to know what was done in terms of a "full" service in terms of comparing.

i.e.

Oil change
    Oil filter
    Air Filter

Cabin Filter
    Fuel Filter
    Spark Plugs (petrol vehicle)

Labour charge

Additionals:
    Coolant top-up
    Brake fluid top-up

OIL (Liqui Moly Toptech, German Oil) €50
    OIL Filter: €10
    Air Filter: €24

Total €84

Ok so you service your own car. I'm delighted for you. I salute your superior knowledge about cars. Bravo. Etc...

Now for the rest of the population who either can't or can't be assed (Im the latter) we go to a garage to get it done.

A main dealer charge a lot of money so i chose to get it done by a local non Mazda dealer first off save a few euro and two it was handy for me.

As for what was done on the car all of the normal service you mention was done and we also had a chat around other areas of the car that may need attention in the future, it being a 7 year old car. Nothing major and bits I know will need tending to in the coming year but no rush.

Anyway glad you were here to have start a pointless argument for no reason, I mean give your insight into the world of car servicing. I can sleep easy tonight knowing that you will make sure we all know what a car service is and we are stupid for getting it done by well anyone but ourselves.

• Advertisement

Ok so you service your own car. I'm delighted for you. I salute your superior knowledge about cars. Bravo. Etc...

Now for the rest of the population who either can't or can't be assed (Im the latter) we go to a garage to get it done.

A main dealer charge a lot of money so i chose to get it done by a local non Mazda dealer first off save a few euro and two it was handy for me.

As for what was done on the car all of the normal service you mention was done and we also had a chat around other areas of the car that may need attention in the future, it being a 7 year old car. Nothing major and bits I know will need tending to in the coming year but no rush.

Anyway glad you were here to have start a pointless argument for no reason, I mean give your insight into the world of car servicing. I can sleep easy tonight knowing that you will make sure we all know what a car service is and we are stupid for getting it done by well anyone but ourselves.

I think that you misunderstood me.
    I would prefer to send my car into a mechanic/garage rather than do it myself as i don't have time, warm space etc. It's not great working on cars outside in the cold and rain.

But when i send my car in, i would like to know what exactly is being done and what am I getting for my €160-€200 or more. Have had some negative experiences in D15 so far.

I can recommend Boyle Motors in Laraghcon, between Clonsilla and Lucan.
    It's just getting to an from there to drop off the car and collect that is the problem.

I am actually on here looking for recommendations as well, but not clueless recommendations as i have a BMW to be serviced next.

I also do not want to take my car to a main dealer, especially not a BMW main dealer.
    I have an extremely low mileage BMW for its age and possibly the lowest mileage Saab on the planet, so i am indeed concerned about who services my cars and how they do it.

You mentioned "all of the normal service you mention was done" but did not say what exactly.
    It would help to list it or even just take a picture of the receipt and post it.
    I'm not trying to argue but i am am on here looking for answers and all one seems to get is ghostly answers with nothing definite.

If you note my previous post you will see that i ask specific questions and list things one by one. That's me being specific and is the way my brain works.

If someone asks you specific pointed questions why do you not answer specifically yet instead choose to answer in a vague or generic way.

What exactly did Coolmine Motors do for you. What did they quote exactly (initially), what did they eventually charge. What was included, what wasn't.

That's what i as a local resident need to know in order to make a decision.

How do i know that some of these great recommendations aren't being posted by the owners of some of these places in the first place.

ozmo wrote: »
    Can you point to a good guide or some hints on doing a mess-less oil change - its something I need do myself...
    Its a very old mazda... I know 160/170 is the going rate - but it still seems very steep for an oil change to me.

I was thinking of getting one of those oil pumps rather than having get under the car...
    http://amzn.to/2jDPYbs

Yes, that's a great idea. Major dealers such as MB use oil extractors for services.

I purchased one as well (though not electric). It is a Sealey 6.5L manual extractor.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000RA16CO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511182041&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sealey+6.5l+manual+vacuum+oil+and+fluid+extractor&dpPl=1&dpID=31CHGnW3vJL&ref=plSrch

It works extremely well and is well worth it.

Order it (to be delivered to D15 so that we are on topic for this thread, however Parcel Motel to Belfast is cheaper as a first stage).

Drive the vehicle to warm up the oil in the engine. Park the vehicle.
    Remove the oil dipstick, Stick the appropriate sized pipe down the dipstick tube, pump the unit a few times and wait for the magic to happen.

Once the oil is drained into the extractor unit, remove and replace the oil filter. Don't over tighten!
    Then fill up with new oil, checking oil level via dipstick and ensuring you don't over fill.
    Remember to re-insert oil filler cap & dipstick.

Replace air filter.

Take the car for a drive.
    Check around oil filter for any leaks.
    Let stand for about 1hr and then check oil levels.
    Top up if necessary

Forget the once off purchase price of the oil extractor and voila you have done an oil and air filter service for €85 or less depending on the oil and filters you have chosen - and in D15 to boot.

PS: i also use Liqui Moly Ceratec oil additive to reduce engine wear. It can be used with other oils as well. It does cost an extra €10 but is probably better for older cars and also for newer cars to reduce wear & tear.
    Check YouTube for videos on Liqui Moly oil and Ceratec.

If you can get oil for €20-€35, then you can get it done yourself for about €60.
    Now that's a bargain in D15!

Perhaps every three oil changes or so, drop the sump and do a normal oil change. Either yourself or at a mechanic. But my research shows that using the extractor is no worse than draining from below.

@ozmo
    , if you want to get the oil and the two filters I will show you how to do it the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DieselTech

I'm a HGV mechanic based in a large dublin transport company. I live in D15 myself, but car servicing is something that's very difficult to try put a price on. Every car will obviously differ a little, but prices can vary massively.

For example a car that takes a 5w30 fully synth oil vs a car that takes a 10w40 semi synth. The oil capacity of the car also comes into effect, a 1.2 petrol grande punto only takes just over 2.5l of oil to fill, a newer 730d takes over 7 litres of engine oil.

The type of spark plugs a car takes, like FN shape honda civics are recommended to take an iridium plug, with a set of 4 costing €40+ vs a micra taking 4 plugs at <€10 for the set. If it's a v6 or v8 you're looking at double the amount of plugs etc.

Even simple things such as air filters and fuel filters for a diesel can vary hugely in price depending if you go with a good brand such as mann, mahle etc vs cheap junk.

People seem to have an attitude towards "oh you're charging me how much to plug a computer into the car". Failing to realise some diagnostic software with licensing etc can run into the thousands and that money has to be made back somehow.

Don't get ripped off, but at the same time, don't expect your 2010 honda civic to cost the same price as your wifes 2010 punto is what I'm trying to say.

In terms of someone coming to me and asking me to fit parts they've bought to a car, I'd be very picky. If they ask me to put 5 liters of oil they picked up in lidl and a filter from halfords to the car I'll outright refuse, because at the first sign of something going wrong they'll be on the phone in seconds saying well you were the last one to touch it.

Generally with any service I would be:
    Changing oil, fuel (diesel), air filter
    Engine oil change
    Spark plugs (petrol)
    Looking for oil, fuel, coolant leaks
    Check for rubbing pipes or wiring
    Check tyre condition, pressure
    Top up all fluids
    Check all bulbs (I personally only charge for headlight bulbs)
    Checking all suspension components
    Torque all wheel nuts on the car
    Checking brakes for any leaks and disc/pad condition
    Checking for advanced corrosion
    Check battery charge rate
    Reset service indicator
    Basically checking for anything out of the ordinary

Based on the type of car and the service interval it may need a gearbox oil change and diff oil change (rwd/4wd) which is something that often gets overlooked.

DieselTech wrote: »
    I'm a HGV mechanic based in a large dublin transport company. I live in D15 myself, but car servicing is something that's very difficult to try put a price on. Every car will obviously differ a little, but prices can vary massively...

Exactly and wholeheartedly agree (to your entire post) . Hence my queries on what was done and at what price.
    It's not the same for every vehicle nor at every stage of that vehicles life.
    However, my thinking was that with a bit of consistency in reporting what was done for what type of car (1.5L, 1.8L, 2L, petrol, diesel etc) and where in the area then a better concensus could be achieved in making a decision .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Thanks for all the great advice in this thread - and also to keep it on topic of D15 - I want to mention Coolmine recycling center take the old oil (and batteries) for safe disposal...
    DieselTech wrote: »
    ..."oh you're charging me how much to plug a computer into the car".

Lol - I wish :) my car being over 20yo has as odd diagnostics port no garage has managed to read yet...

thanks all.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great advice in this thread - and also to keep it on topic of D15 - I want to mention Coolmine recycling center take the old oil (and batteries) for safe disposal...

Yes, that is a great point.
    Simply take your old oil over and leave it in, you didn't even need to pour it into a drum, they will do it for you. No cost involved at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭safeasparagus

Is there any Mechanics / garage that would loan you a car for the few hours is needed to service the car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nissan did this for me before but availability war limited. You could use goCar but it's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭safeasparagus

beauf wrote: »
    Nissan did this for me before but availability war limited. You could use goCar but it's expensive.

Yea was looking at that alright but pricey , I need to get the car serviced but with limited public travel to my workplace would need a car , not even sure If garages would do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I'm looking for local recommendations for a car service, generally go with the main dealer but the one I use has moved so looking for something local. The recommendations in this thread are quite hold so any new would be appreciated. Coolmine Motors seemed highly recommended, is that still the case?

Advertisement