Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord's opinions on noise

Options
  • 17-04-2017 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

So, I'll probably be chatting to our landlord in the coming weeks. I usually don't have much interaction with him as the apartment is well maintained. Last time we spoke was when our washing machine broke last year. It was fixed within the week so my landlord is pretty great.

Anyhow, what I'm wondering about is whether or not I should mention how noisy our neighbours are. They are literally a nightmare. Parties to all hours of the morning and shouting and throwing things up at the window at all hours of the night. I've spoken to them about it because it was unliveable and it slightly improved but it's still excessive.

After parties the hallway is always a mess. Empty cans and other rubbish everywhere. They are just basically terrible. There also seems to be about 6 of them living in a two bed.

I'm just wondering would I just be a moan if I mentioned to the landlord. He is also their landlord. I love our little to no contact unless I need him set up. By bringing this up am I causing an issue when I don't need to?

When we moved in we were told it was all people who worked and are quiet which was true until they moved in!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Id be going to the management company first and then the other tenants landlord and if that fails

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Yes go to the management company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

As he is their landlord too, I would be mentioning it to him definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

100% complain to him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

After parties the hallway is always a mess. Empty cans and other rubbish everywhere. They are just basically terrible. There also seems to be about 6 of them living in a two bed.
    This bit of info should get some action from the landlord!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I'd personally say it to your landlord and the Managment agent. In fact I'd start to build a relation with the agent. That's why they are there. As an owner in an Apartment block with about 95% let. I'd much prefer if renters used the agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The managing agent shoudn't be entertaining any conversations with tenants. Your only option is to go to the LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The managing agent shoudn't be entertaining any conversations with tenants. Your only option is to go to the LL.

Why?

If there is a complaint about other residents the managing agent absolutely should be taking the complaint. Now if the managing agent wants to speak to the LL that's fair enough but it's better to get the report first hand from the tenant.

Also if there is an issue with car parked in the tenants spot or something similar why would the LL need to be involved, unless the tenant wants them too of course, just report it to the caretaker or managing agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

LynnGrace wrote: »
    As he is their landlord too, I would be mentioning it to him definitely.

It's certainly in his interest to be aware of potential problems as if it escalates to serious anti social gehaviour, he can be financially penalised. If it looks like there are six occupants, he is likely to be equally interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you go to the Management Company there is very little then can actually do other than contact the owner and hope he deals with it.
    You could contact the M.C. on an anonymous basis so that there is no fallout between you and your landlord.
    Or on the otherhand, you could tell your landlord that they are bringing a lot of negative attention to themselves and in turn to his property and see if he quickly gets it sorted out himself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The other path is to lodge a complaint with the Residential Tenancies Board- as they are tenants of the landlord. Often a threat (to the landlord and/or their agent) to lodge such a complaint- might do the trick.

Also- if the landlord has a managing agent- for crying out loud- contact them ASAP- as the tenants sound like they aren't going to change their spots- even getting the riot act read to them isn't going to make one iota of difference- however the prospect of RTB fines could focus both the landlord and the their agent's minds into tackling this head-on.

Similar cases have resulted in significant fines for landlords (in the Cork area) in the past- where neighbours were able to show the landlord did not address their concerns regarding anti-social behaviour in a reasonable manner within a reasonable timeframe........... (if you google it, I'm sure you'll find the cases, they were extensively reported particularly in the Examiner).

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

My advice is to go to the landlord. Let them know about the noise and anti social behaviour of these tennents. I would also tell them it appears that their are 6 people living in a 2 bed apt.
    The landlord might have let the apt out to what he/she though were 2/3/4 people and 6 people means more wear/tear. Also if the tennents are like this the apartment could be left in a bad state when they leave.

If your noticing this so are the other tennents in the building. A good landlord will want to keep good tennents happy and he needs to be told about these people. I was in a position similar to yours a good few years ago. When I went to my landlord with a few other people in the house the landlord realised the full extent of what was going on. He got the tenent from hell out within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I'd personally say it to your landlord and the Managment agent. In fact I'd start to build a relation with the agent. That's why they are there. As an owner in an Apartment block with about 95% let. I'd much prefer if renters used the agent.

Id deal with a landlord directly far quicker than id speak to the agent. The agents are useless in my experience!

OP say it to the tenants again and give them another chance. Tell them if the parties continue, you will have to contact the landlord directly and let him deal with it. Hopefully the threat will be enough for them to cop on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

We have gone through a lot of agents over the years. I agree some are crap The ones we have now are good and welcome interaction with the agent from renters. In fact most did. Stuff would go unnoticed for weeks. They would be like we where not told.
    If your not happy with the agent. Go to the meetings and get rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Go to their landlord and the management company.

Good luck with it - we had a similar experience before. Document everything and dont take no for an answer. You have a right to be able to enjoy your home too. Unfortunately in our experience their landlord didnt give a crap and the management company was the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Why? If tenants are breaching the rules of the building/breaching their contract of course the management company are relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Parchment wrote: »
    Why? If tenants are breaching the rules of the building/breaching their contract of course the management company are relevant.

I had this in the past. The last couple of comments are spot on.

Yes, you need to document everything,including your interaction with the neighbours. Inform both the landlord and management companies in writing what your issue is.

If (when) nothing happens, tell (in writing)them you are reporting it to the PTRB (or whatever they call themselves).

If you need to go this far, you need to have your (history) in writing.

Good luck, some of our fellow citizens were never taught manners, so don't worry about cramping their style

Advertisement