Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a fruit tree?

Options
  • 17-04-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was clearing a section of the garden and found this tree.
    Moved in to house a few years ago and only got around to that section recently. Tree was choked with thorns bushes. I am guessing it's fruit from the flowers but I'm not a gardener type so I'm guessing from online pics.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Probably a wild cherry, with an outside chance of plum. Given that it has survived a bit of neglect etc I'd go for cherry. The fruits are very attractive to birds but the tree can get very big and you might need to consider whether or not you want it there - or at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks for that. I'm off googling about wild cherry now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Yes, wild cherry, leaf in top left of second pic has the giveaway small glands at the leaf base.

Thanks Mountainy man, I see what you are talking about. Reference here with clearer pic.
    https://grunewaldforaging.com/2012/06/01/wild-cherries-for-those-whove-got-the-glands/

So the question now is, do I leave it there or get rid? The location is the bottom of the garden but there is a house behind it and to the left of it.
    It is on it's own, there is no other cherry tree around that I can see. My neighbour to the right of that picture has a nice tall and strong apple tree and that is no more than two metres away from this cherry tree.

Would someone have planted the cherry tree or would its seeds have found their way there through birds or whatever?

So many questions :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

So the question now is, do I leave it there or get rid?

Would someone have planted the cherry tree or would its seeds have found their way there through birds or whatever?

Birds love the fruit and chances are that your tree came from a seed dropped by one. Whether to keep or not is pure personal preference, situation, nearby trees walls etc. They get very tall and very big and tend to shade out a lot of lower shrubs and trees. We foolishly got one from a friend years ago and every spring its a case of find the new cherries and dig them up! They seed everywhere. But, we do keep the original as the birds love it and its great to see them eating away in the autumn. Flowers are pretty too and not as showy as cultivated "cherry blossom" trees.

• Advertisement

Yeah, if it grows up a metre or two more, it will block all the sunshine coming in to the garden. I think it is going to have to go

Yeah, if it grows up a metre or two more, it will block all the sunshine coming in to the garden. I think it is going to have to go

Here is what is on the tree now.
    Are they cherries? Can myself and the kids eat them during summer whatever they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If they do this you can.

tenor.gif

(disclaimer: I am not responsible for your death)

Yes, edible but they will be fairly sour and don't forget the large stone in the centre, birds are likely to strip them before they are ripe though, you could try to net a branch end with an orange net to protect them so you and the kids can try them.

Thanks. I'll see how we go. Man against birds. The birds are probably better at playing the long game ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

The Wildcherry tree is a stunning native tree and has been described as our "prettiest tree". If you don't want it you should wait until winter and fork/dig it out. Move it to a location where it will grow or give it to a good home. They grow quite massive and are a huge source of food for insects especially bees.

Look at these beauties: https://www.google.ie/search?client=firefox-b&biw=2133&bih=1197&tbm=isch&q=prunus+avium+tree&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS2vG5stfTAhUqCcAKHVJdC2UQhyYIIw

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

IMG_5177_zps48jkvfxa.jpg

IMG_5176_zpsojydnnuh.jpg

IMG_5175_zpslt1yqlgb.jpg

Going to piggy back on your thread.

Is this a cherry tree?

Prunus cerasifera nigra, purple leaf plum.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Prunus cerasifera nigra, purple leaf plum.

Thanks Mm

Advertisement