Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify a weed

Options
  • 17-04-2017 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭

Hi all, again, found this earlier also.
    Any idea what it is? There was big gangly stalks her last year which i chopped down.
    This stuff is growing around that area now.
    Is it safe to just rip this thing out?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Think you have got Japanese Knotweed. Sorry, DO NOT CUT, OR PULL.
    Has to be sprayed or better injected with Gramoxone.

Hope I'm wrong on identifying it, but don't think I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Water John wrote: »
    Think you have got Japanese Knotweed
    Don't think so. Stems are symmetrical, not zigzag, and there's no purple speckles on the stems.

Hope your right, Lumen.

OK, well my dumb idea is something like a blackberry, judging by the oblate serrated leaf and ridged stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I'll keep an eye on it in case water John is right. What should i watch for in terms of having to take action?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

It's an Elder. Dig it out if you don't want it...

Thanks lk67

I googled that - "Elder plant" and the stalks that I chopped last year are identical. So that is what it is alright. You can see the remnants of one of the cuts in the centre of the new shoots in one of the pictures.

Does it provide any use? Is there any point keeping it?

Not as bad as the Kotweed, but still diff to remove as it roots from rhizomes also. I'd be using the Gramoxone.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Water John wrote: »
    Not as bad as the Kotweed, but still diff to remove as it roots from rhizomes also. I'd be using the Gramoxone.
    OP beware of random advice on the internet, contrary to popular opinion "google" and the "internet" does not have all the answers.
    Gramoxone is a brand name and the active ingredient is paraquat, which is a contact weedkiller and is only available to buy through pharmacies because of it's deadly nature, i.e you can die from a small ingested dose.
    Being a contact weedkiller it will have little or no impact on the roots of the plant you are trying to kill.
    You need to use a systematic (which means it translocate to all parts of the plant), weedkiller with the active ingredient glyphosate, which is found in brand names product like Roundup and Gallup.
    Thanks lk67

I googled that - "Elder plant" and the stalks that I chopped last year are identical. So that is what it is alright. You can see the remnants of one of the cuts in the centre of the new shoots in one of the pictures.

It produces a white flower that is sometimes used for a cordial or wine.
    Personally I think it looks attractive in the right setting, I'm not sure about your setting, you'll have to make a call on that yourself.

Sorry, meant to say Roundup.

• Advertisement

Ok, thank you all.
    Roundup it is. I will get a bottle at the weekend and have a go.
    Will I likely find instructions on the bottle or do I just pour it immediately around the affected area?

Ok, thank you all.
    Roundup it is. I will get a bottle at the weekend and have a go.
    Will I likely find instructions on the bottle or do I just pour it immediately around the affected area?
    Yes, read the instructions. It's usually best when dealing with poisons :pac:

It needs to be diluted and sprayed on the leaves. Weather is important.

Thanks Lumen, I see there is a ready made spray bottle, I am just gonna get that and do it in evening when weather is calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Best done on a bright sunny day if possible, when the pores are open. In the evening there's a risk of dew/dampness to wash it off the leaves.
    Read the instructions fully!

Will do :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

red sean wrote: »
    Best done on a bright sunny day if possible, when the pores are open. In the evening there's a risk of dew/dampness to wash it off the leaves.
    Read the instructions fully!

Actually it's counter intuitive, the ideal conditions when spraying for absorption through leaves you want a cloudy day with a hint of a breeze.
    The pores are more open because the plants are not trying to conserve moisture, unlike on a sunny day, when moisture is in short supply and the plants close the pores to retain moisture.
    So dew and dampness are a help when spraying, what you want to avoid is a heavy downpour within 4-6 hours after spraying.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Thanks lk67

Lots of activity since my comment..

It's not the most attractive of plants but it's good for wildlife, and wine. People go mad for it's purple or gold leaved first-cousins...

It doesn't produce rhizomes as such, it just has strong roots, and doesn't need spraying - just dig it out with a good spade. If it was Ground Elder I'd recommend Glyphosate, but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Howzit17

I have some Japanese knotweed that I'm trying to get rid of but would prefer to avoid toxic Roundup.I live close to sea, would lots of seaweed do the trick?
    I plan on digging up the garden and putting lots of seaweed on the soil anyway. Just wondered if anyone else tried this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would seaweed not just provide nutrition for it? this is a plant known for being able to grow up through tarmac...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

Does nobody just use a fork or spade these days to remove unwanted plants? It really is not that difficult. All I see is Roundup everywhere. Your soil will be poisoned. Really damages your earthworms. Soil bacteria and fungi badly damaged. Probably carcinogenic according to the UN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

Howzit17 wrote: »
    I have some Japanese knotweed that I'm trying to get rid of but would prefer to avoid toxic Roundup.I live close to sea, would lots of seaweed do the trick?
    I plan on digging up the garden and putting lots of seaweed on the soil anyway. Just wondered if anyone else tried this

I've heard poeple have had success with lime - Jap Knot likes acidic soil. Know your enemy. What conditions does it like?

I think that JapKnot is natures nucleur weapon response to us clear felling all her land.

Advertisement