Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you turn your bike off?

• 17-04-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

See poll

Which option do you use? 114 votes

Using stand switch
    0% 0 votes
    Using kill switch
    8% 10 votes
    Using key
    13% 15 votes
    Other
    78% 89 votes

Comments

I just use the key, every few weeks I check that the kill switch/side stand switches work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Tell her she's looking old................:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My start button is also the shutoff button/kill switch. According to the manual, that is the proper way to turn off the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Always use the key, the kill switch is for emergency use :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Key 100%, unless you are stopped at the lights on your mates right hand side I hit his kill switch.....MWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep when I was doing my RoSPA I was told to never use the kill switch except in an emergency.

For some bizarre reason MSF courses in the States make everyone do the exact opposite i.e. always use the kill switch :rolleyes:

I don't think kill switch backfires work with fuel injection, so no real reason to use it :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Side stand, always. Bike in gear, clutch in, brake on.

Key switcher offers - assuming you use your right hand, do you hold the rear brake on while you switch off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Lumen wrote: »

Key switcher offers - assuming you use your right hand, do you hold the rear brake on while you switch off?

Neutral -> Side Stand down -> hand off front brake -> turn key.

Gavin wrote: »
    Neutral -> Side Stand down -> hand off front brake -> turn key.
    And then you put it back in gear? Or leave it parked in neutral?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

WTF is this thread all about......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Kill switch, always have, and on my current machine it's the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I jump straight off the bike and leave the tip sensor sort things out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I just drop the bike and walk away its the best way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Seeing as though you generally remove the key from the ignition, it would be inefficient to shut down the engine any other way.

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Seeing as though you generally remove the key from the ignition, it would be inefficient to shut down the engine any other way.
    But since I always use the side stand, it is no less efficient to do it that way.

The "remove the key" approach does reduce the chances of leaving the key in the bike, which I've done a few times. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

But since I always use the side stand, it is no less efficient to do it that way.

The "remove the key" approach does reduce the chances of leaving the key in the bike, which I've done a few times. :rolleyes:

Touché!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

I leave it running, saves burning out the starter. Plus makes it handier for quick get aways from the petrol station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If I leave the bike in town, I use the stand switch and leave the bike in gear in case it gets a shove. Otherwise, it's the key all the way. I remember years ago my trainer told me use the key as it eliminates the possibility of wearing out the kill switch as well as the barrel. Fudge knows if it really matters though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cantdecide wrote: »
    If I leave the bike in town, I use the stand switch and leave the bike in gear in case it gets a shove. Otherwise, it's the key all the way. I remember years ago my trainer told me use the key as it eliminates the possibility of wearing out the kill switch as well as the barrel. Fudge knows if it really matters though.

You'll wear out the barrel quicker than a toggle switch. But you always need to take the keys out, unless the bike is only used to and from a 100% secure storage, so you won't save the barrel by using the kill switch.

Which will lead to an interesting future when bikes are electric and keyless ignition becomes more common, how many people will walk off leaving their bike on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yep when I was doing my RoSPA I was told to never use the kill switch except in an emergency.

For some bizarre reason MSF courses in the States make everyone do the exact opposite i.e. always use the kill switch :rolleyes:

I don't think kill switch backfires work with fuel injection, so no real reason to use it :p
    I wonder if americans do it because of the popularity of Harleys and their bizarre key removal set up?

I was going to say "who the **** uses the side stand switch?"!
    I never use it and never park with the bike in gear. Never hold the brake when switching off, just neutral and key

• Advertisement

WTF is this thread all about......:rolleyes:

So we can find out who does things differently and laugh at them.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I never use it and never park with the bike in gear.
    Why not? It's less liable to move if left in gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ja, I just leave it in neutral as well. Maybe if on a hill or something I'd put it in gear, but otherwise haven't had any issues.

Mind you, I don't park it around much and if I do, I use a disc lock which serves the same purpose I guess.

Why not? It's less liable to move if left in gear.

It has never moved in 15 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Key all the time and mostly in neutral unless there's a hill involved. The side stand switch is an emergency cut out so I wouldn't be using that, but that's just me! I've had a switch fail on one before and don't really want to set any other bikes off in that direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cienciano wrote: »
    Harleys and their bizarre key removal set up

What's that?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What's that?

Key down the side not up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Stop, Neutral, Key Off and Out, (if momentarily stopping the engine, I'd use the kill switch) Bike onto side stand.
    Side stand switches are not an emergency switch or anything like that, it is a safety device.
    For those of you not familiar with riding older machines, there were many a person thrown from their bike on the first left turn having taken off leaving the side-stand down. The switch on the side stand was introduced to prevent this from happening.
    Same as the switch on the clutch lever to prevent accidentally starting a bike still in gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Stop, Neutral, Key Off and Out, (if momentarily stopping the engine, I'd use the kill switch) Bike onto side stand.
    Side stand switches are not an emergency switch or anything like that, it is a safety device.
    For those of you not familiar with riding older machines, there were many a person thrown from their bike on the first left turn having taken off leaving the side-stand down. The switch on the side stand was introduced to prevent this from happening.
    Same as the switch on the clutch lever to prevent accidentally starting a bike still in gear.

That's what I meant by emergency cut out. It turns the engine off so you don't crash!

• Advertisement

I don't buy the argument that using the side stand switch to turn off the bike wears it out. It's not like turning the key moves the switch out of the way.

If it's important for safety, the best way to be sure it works is to use it routinely.

Advertisement