Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What baby girl names do you find quite common!?

Options
  • 17-04-2017 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

We are currently thinking about baby girl names for our baby who is due in the summer.
    But id be interested to hear from other parents what names they hear alot off from their kids schools etc!?
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

All I know is you never realise how many people you hate until you try name a baby.

Emily and Mary are quite common in my experience, nice names also.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

http://m.independent.ie/life/family/mothers-babies/so-what-were-the-mostpopular-baby-names-in-ireland-last-year-30894974.html

In our school there's loads of Kaitlyn/Keelin/Kaylan and various variations of same.

Boys names seem to be a bit more varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Eabha, Eve, Ava

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am also noticing a lot of Amy/ Amie/ Katies. I have a boy's name picked that I have only heard once before (I don't even think it is a name, more a word!) but I am really struggling with a girl's name. I don't really want to know another person with that name. I grew up not meeting another girl with my name til I was near 20. It is a difficult decision given that we are Irish and living in Ireland so can't go too 'out there'.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Evie, Aoibheann (or variations), Emily, Amelia/Emilia....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think you only have to check the most common name charts over the last 10 years or so, and you'll see the same ones cropping up again and again.

So if you call your girl Sophie/Sophia, Emily, Emma, Ava, Kate/Katie etc, then there is a fair chance they won't be the only one in their class at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

i hear alot of Kaci, Maci, Katie, Emily, Lily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Ella, Eve/Ava/Eva, Emily, Evelyn, Amelia, Isabelle, Lily, Aoife, Caitlyn (but Cáitlín pronounced the as Gaeilge way isn't common at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Lots of Sophie, Emma and Caitlins where I am. Does it really matter though? My son has one of the most common boys names but it was the name I liked so I went with it. It's hardly a burden is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Sophia/sophie, Emily, Olivia and Ava from what I can see from my daughters preschool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kylie and Shania. Oh and Jolene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Yeah l hear Ellie, Emily, Eve, Evie, Grace, Gracie, Lily, Sophie, Chloe, Eva, Olivia, Isabel, Isabella, Mia and starting to hear Maisy a lot too. Also Bella and Belle becoming more popular too.

I think it's nice to hear an unusual name. I gave my daughter a name that would be classed as an old name but pretty. I haven't met any other girls that have the same name as my daughter. I'd prefer that but I know some people like using a popular name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yeah l hear Emily, Eve, Evie, Grace, Gracie, Lily, Sophie, Chloe, Eva, Olivia, Isabel, Isabella, Mia and starting to hear Maisy a lot too.

I think it's nice to hear an unusual name. I gave my daughter a name that would be classed as an old name but pretty. I haven't met any other girls that have the same name as my daughter. I'd prefer that but I know some people like using a popular name.

I went with an old Irish name that hasn't been used much since the 80s. I've not meet anyone younger than 35 with the name. Some people say I named my daughter an old persons name. But I dunno I like that she won't be in a class with others.

Edit to add, I'd have lived to call her Maisie but husband said no! :)

Lisha wrote: »
    I went with an old Irish name that hasn't been used much since the 80s. I've not meet anyone younger than 35 with the name. Some people say I named my daughter an old persons name. But I dunno I like that she won't be in a class with others.

Edit to add, I'd have lived to call her Maisie but husband said no! :)

I had a class one year with 4 of the same name. So ended up having to use their surname or the first letter of their surname. So Name R or Name B or Name S.

After that I said if I ever have a child, I'd give them a not popular name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

An unusual name is not always best for the child. It can focus attention that can be unwanted.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    An unusual name is not always best for the child. It can focus attention that can be unwanted.

I'm not talking about completely out there names but names like Lizzie and Annie for example wouldn't be used that much anymore.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

My daughter has one of the popular names on the list. Yet she is one of only two in her whole school with the name!

It seems in people's attempts to give their children unique or uncommon names all the same 'unique' names are being picked or variations of the same unique names.

Sadie and Summer are two others I've heard recently too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

You never realise how many people you hate when you hear a name and it reminds you of them. Every single Jade I've met was a (you know the rest).

I've always liked Emilia/Emily/Amelia/Holly/Aimee/Ciara/Kelly/Laura/Megan/Zoe/Eimear etc.

Always hated Beth/Bella/Fiona/Jade/Anne/Aoife/Lucy/Shannon/Suzy/American names/Old British names like Victoria/Vicky/Becky/.

Whatever you do, don't give a stupid name so common amongst Americans, you'll save her a lot of misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Are you allowed call a child whatever name you want in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

snowflaker wrote: »
    Are you allowed call a child whatever name you want in Ireland?

Who would stop you?

Yes you are. I guess decency would stop you calling a child Hitler for example, but no law will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Lucy. Far too overused these days. Also Lily and Sophie/Sophia.

I don't really want to know another person with that name.

Concentrate on picking a name you love and that you know you will continue to love and don't worry about knowing others. You could know 10 children called Emma (more like 100 but, that's beside the point) and they would all be different and unique in their own way.

Knowing another person with your child's name will not make your child any less special.

Don't go for unusual for the sake of unusual. One of my children has a name that isn't popular at all, there are none in his school of over 1,200 children, but everyone knows it because of "Better call........" that show wasn't even an idea when he was born. You just never know what will make a name popular or well known.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

In my school seems like everyone is either Laura, Ciara or Orla!
    Lots of the younger ones have more American names like Kayley.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Who would stop you?

Yes you are. I guess decency would stop you calling a child Hitler for example, but no law will.

In some countries there are legal guidelines as to what names you can pick.
    Additionally for those that want children baptised, priests can demand a christian name be used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

If you look up the Top 10 for last year you will see what is most popular - we are expecting and made sure the names we chose weren't in Top 100 as I always loved having a name nobody else had. My husband has 3 close friends with the same name on the other hand. His name is lovely but they were ten a penny in his class.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    In some countries there are legal guidelines as to what names you can pick.
    Additionally for those that want children baptised, priests can demand a christian name be used

A baptism isn't a legal thing though, it's just a religious thing. I haven't heard of anyone not being allowed to legally call their child a legitimate name. I have heard of those stories from NZ though where names were not allowed but those names were forms of child abuse more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've been hearing nothing but Bridie and Bridget and Tessie recently....

Probably shouldnt spend so much time at the nursing home

Is it Iceland or Finland that have a list of names you can pick?
    Have heard cases in America where names were blocked

• Advertisement

Advertisement