Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What baby girl names do you find quite common!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

OP would you not make up your own mind and not be influenced by what you think is trendy? Why not give your child several names and the one favoured (by the child) will tend to be the one used. Why not give a name that is traditional in your own family or a name of a friend....but don't be influenced by current fads.

My two have names of grandparents, departed friends and our own favourite names. The eldest even has a family surname as one of his middle names. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Del.Monte wrote: »
    OP would you not make up your own mind and not be influenced by what you think is trendy? Why not give your child several names and the one favoured (by the child) will tend to be the one used. Why not give a name that is traditional in your own family or a name of a friend....but don't be influenced by current fads.

My two have names of grandparents, departed friends and our own favourite names. The eldest even has a family surname as one of his middle names. :)

My little one has a double barrel first name, it'll be shortened to her preference when shes a little older.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

Interesting read. I was just curious to hear what names were floating about the schools.
    We do have a name we love & it is listed in the most popular list but we don't physically know any children yet with that name and it's unique to our family so I think we will go for it.
    I'm going to have my mom's name as the middle name and it's sounds lovely double barrelled if we were to go down that route so there are options!

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Who would stop you?

A registrar can refuse to register a name. I can't find any link to say Irish registrars do, but I know it has been done in the UK. Two names I remember reading that were refused were 'God' and 'Spiderman' :rolleyes:

Stay away from that sort of thing, and you should be safe enough though!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

My everyday name is different to that on my birthday cert. It's a pest! For my kids I made sure to pick a name and stick to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I know of a girl called Isis! True story

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

mewe wrote: »
    I know of a girl called Isis! True story

Isis for a girl is a fairly common name, though took a bit of a drop in 2016 -

https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-isis-2166.htm

Anastasia, Persephone, Tito, Debbie, Alannah, Sudipta, Breanna, Kerry... just some of the names of the girls in my son's class in school and among some of his friends.

Tito ? That's an interesting name!!

Blndbby wrote: »

I dunno, I guess if I'd never seen the film "Into the West", I wouldn't keep thinking of it every time I'm talking to her... In an Irish context, I wouldn't recommend it! :D

(One of the boys in the film is named Tito, I'd have linked to a YouTube clip of the film trailer, but the cringe was too much :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Lexie is also become very popular. Wouldn't pick it myself.

• Advertisement

(One of the boys in the film is named Tito,

Was he not 'Tayto'?! Or was it just the pronunciation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just the pronunciation. Tito is popular enough in Spanish speaking countries and the US. Never heard it for a girl though.

Definitely the pronunciation :D

Into the West is a film about two young boys, Tito (Conroy) and Ossie (Fitzgerald), whose father "Papa" Reilly (Byrne) was "King of Irish Travellers" until his wife, Mary, died during the birth of their second son, Ossie.[3] The boys' grandfather (David Kelly) is an old story-telling Traveller, who regales the children with Irish folk-tales and legends. When he is followed by a beautiful white horse called Tír na nÓg (meaning "Land of Eternal Youth" in Irish), from the sea to Dublin, where the boys and their father have now settled down in a grim tower block in Ballymun, the boys are overwhelmed with joy and dreams of becoming cowboys. The horse is stolen from them and they begin their adventure to get their mystical horse back. They escape the poverty of a north Dublin council estate, and ride "Into the West" where they find that Tír na nÓg is not just a horse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_West_(film)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Del.Monte wrote: »

My sister is named after her granny and has always hated the name.
    My granny also told us later in life that she too hated her name.

Definitely the pronunciation :D

Everyday's a school day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Concentrate on picking a name you love and that you know you will continue to love and don't worry about knowing others. You could know 10 children called Emma (more like 100 but, that's beside the point) and they would all be different and unique in their own way.

Knowing another person with your child's name will not make your child any less special.

Don't go for unusual for the sake of unusual. One of my children has a name that isn't popular at all, there are none in his school of over 1,200 children, but everyone knows it because of "Better call........" that show wasn't even an idea when he was born. You just never know what will make a name popular or well known.

That's gas! That name was actually a close second for our chosen boy's name, I love it.
    Because I have an uncommon name, it just doesn't feel right choosing a common name for my kid. If I hear a name and associate it with a person, I think that's THEIR name so I immediately lose interest. I know millions of people will have that name, but I just don't want the association.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Nearly every second girl I've heard named lately is called Ava, Aoibheann, Ella, Isabelle or Sophie/Sophia.
    Aoife is very common but it has been a very popular name for quite a long time.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Nearly every second girl I've heard named lately is called Ava, Aoibheann, Ella, Isabelle or Sophie/Sophia.
    Aoife is very common but it has been a very popular name for quite a long time.

I notice Irish names have started making a bit of a comeback. There are a lot of Roisíns and Oisíns knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I notice Irish names have started making a bit of a comeback. There are a lot of Roisíns and Oisíns knocking about.
    I love Irish names! My son has an Irish name.
    I heard a baby girl named Orla recently, I think it's a lovely dainty name.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I love Irish names! My son has an Irish name.
    I heard a baby girl named Orla recently, I think it's a lovely dainty name.

I love Oran. I have recently found myself obsessed with O names but my husband is having none of it. I love the name Olympia for a girl.

• Advertisement

Just received an email in work here announcing the arrival of a work colleagues new baby -

Siya

Oh crap, I just realised that child could be very confused when leaving school for the day and her friends are saying goodbye to her - "See ya Siya" :D

Back to the drawing board :pac:

Just received an email in work here announcing the arrival of a work colleagues new baby -

Siya

Oh crap, I just realised that child could be very confused when leaving school for the day and her friends are saying goodbye to her - "See ya Siya" :D

Back to the drawing board :pac:

When you put it like that Siya isn't the best choice!!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Some popular names for girls. (Boy's names on the link below).

Note for boys at 16 and 18... Bowie and Arrow. smileys-baby-022860.gif
    Nameberry's hottest baby names list of 2017

For girls

Tatjana +1508%
    Alizeh +748%
    Tahiti +551%
    Moana +467
    Ines +338%
    Seren +239%
    Rosamund +237%
    Alisha +178%
    Samara +155%
    Lilian +124%
    Kyra +124%
    Sutton +96%
    Noor +92%
    Arielle +83%
    Reina +77%
    Calista +74%
    Marisol +70%
    Arcadia +65%
    Ophelia +62%
    Zoey +58%
    Bellamy +58%
    Natasha +57%
    Amara +55%
    Saskia +54%
    Portia +54%

Nameberry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,716 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Some popular names for girls. (Boy's names on the link below).

Not in Ireland. CSO figures are the most relevant for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tahiti? Ah now. Cue the "was that where they were concieved " jokes.

I really enjoy children's names though, makes for great eyerolling fun for us cheeky parents.

"Thor, get down off that slide" was my fav from last weekend from a pasty Dublin father to his skinny 4 year old.

Still my favourite children's name story: Heard walking down Grafton St. About 12 years ago. Mother pushing buggy with baby inside. 3 ish year old boy walking along beside buggy poking at baby.

"Brooklyn! Leave Beyoncé alone."

Edit: Around the same time I heard a little Shakira being called by her mother in Liffey Valley Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Ava went through a very common spell around us. It's gas but I've heard many newborn girls being given traditional names e.g. Ann, Mary, Sally & Sinead are recent arrivals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ava, Isabelle and any variation of Lily-Rose/Grace/May etc is very popular around me. I know of about 5 Avas between the ages of newborn and 5.

Also Ciara, Aoife, Niamh and Aisling have been consistently popular over the last 10-20 years. I remember there being more than one of each in each class in my primary school and I still hear them all the time now.

I actually remember in a dancing class I went to there were two Niamh Murphys, so they couldn't even go by their last initial!

That said, they're all still usable if you have an uncommon surname.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Blndbby wrote: »

You think its ok to name a girl TIT-o??? Cant see any future problems, no?

There should definitely be laws around picking names. Giving a baby a nickname like "Jack" or "Lizzy" should come with a custodial sentence. The naivety of some people is astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Are flare jeans back and denim jackets back in fashion to read that Emily is a popular name?

Advertisement