Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What baby girl names do you find quite common!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We're expecting a little girl on June 4th. We pondered a lot about what to call her and settled on Sophie. I know it's been very common over the last few years but nothing else seemed right to us. We 'tried' many many other names but kept coming back to Sophie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

We're expecting a little girl on June 4th. We pondered a lot about what to call her and settled on Sophie. I know it's been very common over the last few years but nothing else seemed right to us. We 'tried' many many other names but kept coming back to Sophie.

Love Sophie but prefer Sophia

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'd wait until you see her! Twice I had settled on names for 2 of my children. Like you, I kept coming back to them. Then when they were born those names went out the window and they were nameless for a day or two until something just kept coming to mind when I looked at them. No matter how I tried going back to the original names, the new names just stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You think its ok to name a girl TIT-o??? Cant see any future problems, no?

It's pronounced "Teeto" :D

There should definitely be laws around picking names. Giving a baby a nickname like "Jack" or "Lizzy" should come with a custodial sentence. The naivety of some people is astonishing.

I can't tell if you're actually serious about this? What's naive about the name Jack? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You think its ok to name a girl TIT-o??? Cant see any future problems, no?

There should definitely be laws around picking names. Giving a baby a nickname like "Jack" or "Lizzy" should come with a custodial sentence. The naivety of some people is astonishing.

There is a Jack in my family and the second part of my name is Lizzie....never had a problem with it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Are flare jeans back and denim jackets back in fashion to read that Emily is a popular name?
    Denim jackets are actually back in fashion, with embroidery! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'd wait until you see her! Twice I had settled on names for 2 of my children. Like you, I kept coming back to them. Then when they were born those names went out the window and they were nameless for a day or two until something just kept coming to mind when I looked at them. No matter how I tried going back to the original names, the new names just stuck!

We've heard that so are open that the name may change but I really doubt it will. I really quite like Penelope/Penny but the missus isn't quite convinced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Congrats. Same due date for our little girl.
    See ya in the hospital. ;)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

honeybear wrote: »
    Love Sophie but prefer Sophia

Sophia the First? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Neyite wrote: »
    Sophia the First? :D

At the risk of being excessively pedantic I believe you mean Sofia the First :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I'm not talking about completely out there names but names like Lizzie and Annie for example wouldn't be used that much anymore.

There's 2 great names. Strong names strong women. And Irish too. If I had another daughter I'd call her Brigid and refer to her as Bridie. Solid Irish stuff.
    Also you know Bridie is a girl. No doubt.

I love Oran. I have recently found myself obsessed with O names but my husband is having none of it. I love the name Olympia for a girl.

Olympia is a Greek name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

infogiver wrote: »
    Olympia is a Greek name.

Yes.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

skallywag wrote: »
    At the risk of being excessively pedantic I believe you mean Sofia the First :pac:

Indeed I do. :D

aaand now I've got the theme tune for that in my head for the day. :pac:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There are 6 Lilys in my son's year. 3 are in his class, and 3 in the other class. It seems to be a really really popular name where I live, moreso than any others. Lily is a family name on my husband's side and if we ever had a girl I'd love to call her that, but the fact that she might have 3 others in her class with the same name is a bit offputting. Kayla is another one I hear a lot on the school run. For boys near me it's Peter and Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Our little girls name is quite unusual, but it really suits her, and her surname. I haven't heard of any other child with her name, there's one of the British monarchy with the same name, but in both our families, the male version of the name runs through the generations on both sides, and apparently my mother had a distant cousin with the same female version.

Also, we call her by a shortened version of it, so if in years to come she finds it's a mouthful, or doesn't like it being so unusual, she can go by her shortened name - Genie :). Even with the shortened version, I don't know anybody with the same name.

Other options on our girls list were:

Eleanor
    Alison
    Stella
    Hannah
    Olivia (but probably shortened to Liv)
    Florence
    Eve/Evie or Edie

I think a lot of names were vetoed because of how it sounded with her surname, anything beginning with the same letter of our surname was out because I hated the sound of the alliteration. Also I grew up with a neighbour who had a name that alliterated and it would remind me of her and she wasn't always that nice:o.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    In some countries there are legal guidelines as to what names you can pick.
    Additionally for those that want children baptised, priests can demand a christian name be used

The baby baptised at the Easter vigil in our church last Saturday night was Cruz.

Our little girls name is quite unusual, but it really suits her, and her surname. I haven't heard of any other child with her name, there's one of the British monarchy with the same name, but in both our families, the male version of the name runs through the generations on both sides, and apparently my mother had a distant cousin with the same female version.

Also, we call her by a shortened version of it, so if in years to come she finds it's a mouthful, or doesn't like it being so unusual, she can go by her shortened name - Genie :). Even with the shortened version, I don't know anybody with the same name.

Other options on our girls list were:

Eleanor
    Alison
    Stella
    Hannah
    Olivia (but probably shortened to Liv)
    Florence
    Eve/Evie or Edie

I think a lot of names were vetoed because of how it sounded with her surname, anything beginning with the same letter of our surname was out because I hated the sound of the alliteration. Also I grew up with a neighbour who had a name that alliterated and it would remind me of her and she wasn't always that nice:o.

I guessed your baby's name before you gave the shortened version!
    There's also a Canadian tennis star of the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

infogiver wrote: »
    I guessed your baby's name before you gave the shortened version!
    There's also a Canadian tennis star of the same name.

The tennis player Eugenie Bouchard,(who also goes by Genie!), we looked her up when we heard of her. Rather comically (or wierdly, depending how you look at it) all her siblings are all named after royals! Her twin sister is Beatrice and her brother is William and her younger sister is Charlotte (after the Princess Caroline of Monacos daughter Charlotte Casiraghi)

At least ours is named after her Daddy, Grandad, Uncle and distant cousin twice removed (ish!)

The tennis player Eugenie Bouchard,(who also goes by Genie!), we looked her up when we heard of her. Rather comically (or wierdly, depending how you look at it) all her siblings are all named after royals! Her twin sister is Beatrice and her brother is William and her younger sister is Charlotte (after the Princess Caroline of Monacos daughter Charlotte Casiraghi)

At least ours is named after her Daddy, Grandad, Uncle and distant cousin twice removed (ish!)

Yes Ms Bouchards mother is apparently a very keen royalist! I think Eugenie is very nice indeed very dignified!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Bridget and Astrid for two babies born last year both nice and not very common names, while not being very unusual.

It was a typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

mariaalice wrote: »
    Bridget and Astride for two babies born last year both nice and not very common names, while not being very unusual.

Martha and Alice are two lovely names that you'd also rarely hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

My niece is called Alice. She just over 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I know a couple of Sadies and Darcys too. I really like Sadie.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭PanicStations

According to the Central Statistics Office, the ten most popular girls names registered in 2015 were: Emily, Emma, Ava, Sophie, Amelia, Ella, Lucy, Grace, Chloe, Mia. For boys the top ten were: Jack, James, Daniel, Conor, Sean, Adam, Noah, Michael, Charlie, Luke.
    More details here:
    http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ibn/irishbabiesnames2015/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There's a few names I like that the OH has vetoed, on the grounds of how they sound if called loudly in a strong Dublin accent (we are both Dubs ourselves, but don't have accents!). Chloe, Zoe etc.....It's a pity....I like some of them!

Personally Clodagh is a great favourite name here. Also Eleanor, Caoimhe, Hannah, Meghan. I've heard a LOT of Emily, Emma, Ava, Ella, Amelia in the last few years. Also Kayla, which is not a name that I love at all....it kind of appeared out of nowhere in the last few years. There's an Avril in our house, which tends to raise eyebrows as being a bit different. It took us the full 9 months to decide on our kids names though, and we always had at least 2 if not 3 options going into the delivery room, we never had a final decision!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

mariaalice wrote: »
    Bridget and Astride for two babies born last year both nice and not very common names, while not being very unusual.
    Please tell me that's a typo:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

mariaalice wrote:

muckisluck wrote:
    Please tell me that's a typo

You bet me to it :-)
    *Astrid i would assume? (And hope!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

We adore the name Mia but are worried about how popular it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Blndbby wrote:

Blndbby wrote:

I've never actually met a Mia! (I've heard it as a nickname and I love it!)

Advertisement