Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, Need help finding a RX 480gb for 220 euro or under

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-grade-asus-radeon-rx-480-dual-oc-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-bg-921-as.html

Just to note this is b-grade which means either the box is damaged but in my experience the item will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Interesting. Thanks ill keep that one in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Avoid Asus 'Dual' models. They're horrically bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Avoid Asus 'Dual' models. They're horrically bad.

How so? Have a Asus Dual 1070 and it runs like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

How so? Have a Asus Dual 1070 and it runs like a dream.

Noisy very noisy. Not to mention look ups. There cooler is cheep and nasty.

• Advertisement

Mine runs quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't know about the 1070 version but the RX version is horrible. Cooler is cheap and noisy, and in my case, the card hard locked up constantly unless you manually underclocked it - not alone on this, there was even a big thread about it on OCUK where a lot of people who bought it were experiencing the same issue.

Ah right. Maybe it's just the RX version that are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Amazon France

Sapphire Nitro €189

MSI Gaming X €199 (in stock end of week)

Shippping from amazon.fr would be about €8 I think and arrive in about 4 days usually.

You could also get an 8gb Warehouse model (Comme Neuf aka Like New) for €211 - bottom of the page.

• Advertisement

Ended up going for this https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/AMD+Radeon/Radeon+RX+480/Gigabyte+4GB+G1+GAMING+RX480+AMD+Graphics+Card+%2B+FREE+GAME%21+?productId=66945

In euro it converted to 216 with postage. I had heard the Asus model was loud alright but that wouldnt have bothered me. This card is quite a bit quieter though apparently. Comes with Doom as well which is a nice added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

RX580 after coming out today :P, but not huge difference between the RX480 so wouldn't feel buyers remorse or anything!

Getting doom with it is a great deal, cracking game and plays like a dream on the 480!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Shlippery wrote: »
    RX580 after coming out today :P, but not huge difference between the RX480 so wouldn't feel buyers remorse or anything!

Getting doom with it is a great deal, cracking game and plays like a dream on the 480!

The RX500 series seem to be 10 quid cheaper and give an extra 3-6fps over the RX400's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Venom wrote: »
    The RX500 series seem to be 10 quid cheaper and give an extra 3-6fps over the RX400's.

Same cards with slightly higher clock speeds. You can just overclock the 480 the same so it makes 0 difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

BloodBath wrote: »
    Same cards with slightly higher clock speeds. You can just overclock the 480 the same so it makes 0 difference.
    It's not very different but afaiu it is a different chip built on a new process refinement so everything else being equal you shouldn't expect you could simply overclock a 480 to the same level you could overclock a 580. You make it sound like it is just a rename and it's not.

minitrue wrote: »
    It's not very different but afaiu it is a different chip built on a new process refinement so everything else being equal you shouldn't expect you could simply overclock a 480 to the same level you could overclock a 580. You make it sound like it is just a rename and it's not.

Sure but it's still the same processor. That process refinement is mainly on the board power delivery which enables slightly higher clock speeds and slightly better power consumption figures at low loads. Roughly the same under load. They also upped the memory clocks a little.

That's about it. It's your typical rebrand really. Max overclocks might be a little higher on the 580 but it's still down to the silicon lottery. An overclocked 480 vs an overclocked 580 is going to be no more than 5-10% different.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

5%-10% != 0%
    It may not be very different but it's not a rebrand and it's not the same processor.

Of course none of that impacts the fact I wouldn't be feeling buyers remorse if I was the OP either.

I said at best. There will be cases of 480's that clock higher than 580's with high end partner boards vs oems etc. It's not cut and dry better. AMD are just improving the quality of their own boards to improve clockspeeds and efficiency which is something the partners were already doing with 480's.

It is the exact same processor driving both cards. Look at the specs of the thing and the performance. Any gains are got from clock speeds alone. We're not getting anything new until Vega.

Well Im glad they are pretty much the same though :P just need a new GPU asap. A lot of free time coming my way and a gtx 760 don't cut it anymore xD

• Advertisement
Advertisement