Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice for returning to third level

Options
  • 17-04-2017 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

I started the BA Computer Science in UCD in 2001 (doesn't exist anymore, it's now BSc). Like a dzope, I dropped out halfway through second year. A few years ago I got in touch with them about returning to complete - they were happy to let me switch to BSc and begin second year again. I subsequently discovered I was pregnant so I took a few years out to raise my family.

Now I am really itching to finish my degree and work towards having an IT career down the line. With the cost of childcare being pretty prohibitive, there's two options: go parttime at night or go fulltime in a few years when the kids are older.

Part time option: Trinity's BSc Information Systems seems to be suspended. So I think DIT BSc Info Systems and Info Technology and NCI BSc (Hons) in Computing are the only two options then? It would have to be a Dublin university due to my location, I can't move around the country. I think my past study should help with entry to second year of these courses - fingers crossed! What are people's opinions of these? One better than the other? I am not sure yet what area of IT I would like to go into, to be honest. But I have a good head for computery things, which is why I'm keen to complete my degree.

Full time option: Well this would be UCD, where I originally started. But if I decided to wait a few years, any recommendations for courses online/distance that I could do in the meantime to keep up my skills and knowledge base?

TIA for any and all advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

shellz wrote: »
    Hi,

I started the BA Computer Science in UCD in 2001 (doesn't exist anymore, it's now BSc). Like a dzope, I dropped out halfway through second year. A few years ago I got in touch with them about returning to complete - they were happy to let me switch to BSc and begin second year again. I subsequently discovered I was pregnant so I took a few years out to raise my family.

Now I am really itching to finish my degree and work towards having an IT career down the line. With the cost of childcare being pretty prohibitive, there's two options: go parttime at night or go fulltime in a few years when the kids are older.

Part time option: Trinity's BSc Information Systems seems to be suspended. So I think DIT BSc Info Systems and Info Technology and NCI BSc (Hons) in Computing are the only two options then? It would have to be a Dublin university due to my location, I can't move around the country. I think my past study should help with entry to second year of these courses - fingers crossed! What are people's opinions of these? One better than the other? I am not sure yet what area of IT I would like to go into, to be honest. But I have a good head for computery things, which is why I'm keen to complete my degree.

Full time option: Well this would be UCD, where I originally started. But if I decided to wait a few years, any recommendations for courses online/distance that I could do in the meantime to keep up my skills and knowledge base?

TIA for any and all advice!

Lol that put a smile on my face computery things:) Really depends what side of things you want to get into , Software Development , Software Testing , Infrastructure , Support side of things, Help Desk , Desktop Support , System Admin and thats just to name a few .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shellz

Lol that put a smile on my face computery things:) Really depends what side of things you want to get into , Software Development , Software Testing , Infrastructure , Support side of things, Help Desk , Desktop Support , System Admin and thats just to name a few .

Computery things indeed :P I'll avoid that term in any application or interview!

Development/testing or desktop support would be what I am leaning towards. I think I'm gonna go for it, I don't want to wait for another few years, I may as well be plugging away at it while the kids are young!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The Developer Testing side of things you would be looking at Third Level, as for desktop support Microsoft and Cisco certs and probably starting off in a level 1 position and working your way up the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I don't know much about the NCI course but the DIT course is fairly technical - if you are not technically minded you will find it tough but if you are then you'll be fine. Its the a pity the TCD one is currently not running as it has a great balance between techy and businessy. I hear they are looking to bring it back and make it even more businessy like management information systems (which is really is not far off as it was).

Advertisement