Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a property, want to rent it out but problem with water

Options
  • 17-04-2017 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I have a home I would like to rent. I am eager to rent it due to the current rental crisis and I know that there are people who are in dier need of a home.

The only problem is that we have a issue with our well which we cannot afford to fix at the moment. The water is perfectly fine for showering ect. Although it is not drinkable.

Would we still be able to rent out a house this way or what would your advice on it be? We had a previous cliebt who was nothing but trouble so we are weary about renting again.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm sorry Christine- there are minimal standards laid out which a rental property has to adhere to- one of which is the availability of drinking water.
    If your well is suitable for showering/bathing, but not drinking- you must supply access to an alternate source of compliant drinking water (that the well water is suitable for bathing/showering is wholly immaterial).

You are opening yourself to a world of hassle letting this property- if you do not resolve this fairly fundamental issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Surely a deposit and a months rent in advance from someone would be enough to fix it?

pilly wrote: »
    Surely a deposit and a months rent in advance from someone would be enough to fix it?

Fix what though? A connection to the water mains? If it involves piping work etc, not a snowball's chance in hell that two months rent will fix it. Also, that's not the purpose of a deposit, its not compliant as an allowable cost, and the OP could well be a price taker, given the remoteness of the property.

Given the nature of the work, any rent paid would be taxable, unless the landlord has other costs which are allowed- so 2 month's rent, could mean the lions share might be payable to the Revenue Commissioners..........

The OP probably should get a proper survey done to try to ascertain whether they want to go down this road.

Fix what though? A connection to the water mains? If it involves piping work etc, not a snowball's chance in hell that two months rent will fix it. Also, that's not the purpose of a deposit, its not compliant as an allowable cost, and the OP could well be a price taker, given the remoteness of the property.

Given the nature of the work, any rent paid would be taxable, unless the landlord has other costs which are allowed- so 2 month's rent, could mean the lions share might be payable to the Revenue Commissioners..........

The OP probably should get a proper survey done to try to ascertain whether they want to go down this road.

It was merely a suggestion. You know nothing of the nature of the repair needed. It could be fairly minor if there's water there for showering etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Could you get a loan to resolve the issue and then use the rent to repay the loan ?

• Advertisement

It was merely a suggestion. You know nothing of the nature of the repair needed. It could be fairly minor if there's water there for showering etc.

Sorry? What repair?
    The OP has stated the property has a well as its sole source of water- and the quality of the water, while satisfactory for bathing purposes, is non-compliant with water quality rules for drinking water.

There is no 'repair' mentioned anywhere. The OP needs a source of drinking water. They do not have a source of drinking water at present. I mentioned piping- suggesting they may need to get a connection to a public water supply.

One way or the other- it is not a repair issue- its a supply issue- they do not have a supply of uncontaminated drinking water.

Sorry? What repair?
    The OP has stated the property has a well as its sole source of water- and the quality of the water, while satisfactory for bathing purposes, is non-compliant with water quality rules for drinking water.

There is no 'repair' mentioned anywhere. The OP needs a source of drinking water. They do not have a source of drinking water at present. I mentioned piping- suggesting they may need to get a connection to a public water supply.

One way or the other- it is not a repair issue- its a supply issue- they do not have a supply of uncontaminated drinking water.

1. OP says it's a home so obviously it had a source of drinking water at some stage.

2. OP says that there is an issue with the well that they can't afford to fix at the moment.

I suggest you read OP again instead of trying to score stupid points off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

pilly wrote:
    2. OP says that there is an issue with the well that they can't afford to fix at the moment.

It sounds to me that the well is contaminated and if it is this requires a treatment system depending on the contamination.I'd even question is the water suitable to bathe in. None of which are cheap. You can't rent a dwelling that does not have a potable water supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

And breathe...

Until the OP comes back with more info it's all supposition. No need to get personal about it.

OP have you been given information on what needs to be done to provide potable water to the house? And a ballpark figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting as I wonder often if we who rent can agree to less than the legal minimum standards? I agreed to take this house knowing the water supply was "from a mountain stream" and that I would need to bring in bottled water and I am fine with that. I do boil the stream water too. .

And looking back as I live deep rural this has been the case before and that has been fine with me.

Seeing how many people buy water in eg LIDL?

If there is openness?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote:
    Interesting as I wonder often if we who rent can agree to less than the legal minimum standards? I agreed to take this house knowing the water supply was "from a mountain stream" and that I would need to bring in bottled water and I am fine with that. I do boil the stream water too. .

A lot of people who live here who aren't Irish drink bottled water only. They look at me like I'm mad drinking from the tap at times.

Graces7 wrote:

Legal minimum standards are there for a reason.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP you could talk to your local authority to see if they're interested in your property under the repair and lease initiative.

Under this scheme, the local authority will advance the funds you need to bring the property up-to standard, you then enter a lease agreement to rent the property back to the local authority. The costs of the repairs are taken out of the rent you receive over an agreed period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wouldn't an inline tap filter solve the drinking water problem. They are relatively inexpensive?

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Legal minimum standards are there for a reason.

I agree but eg they say these days a microwave and a freezer? My last two rentals had no microwave and this one no freezer but I am happy with that and have my own and am happy to boil and/or buy drinking water. There are a few other things listed in a similar vein. If i am happy with that?

In deep rural areas water is like this; no mains and not everyone has a well. The OP is very honest and if they get a tenant who is happy with that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Graces7 wrote: »
    I agree but eg they say these days a microwave and a freezer? My last two rentals had no microwave and this one no freezer but I am happy with that and have my own and am happy to boil and/or buy drinking water. There are a few other things listed in a similar vein. If i am happy with that?

In deep rural areas water is like this; no mains and not everyone has a well. The OP is very honest and if they get a tenant who is happy with that?

There's obviously a world of difference between not having a potable water supply and not having a microwave.

Wouldn't an inline tap filter solve the dinting water problem. They are relatively inexpensive?

Depends on what exactly the issue is- Clostridium or other bacterial contamination- may be filterable- however, nitrates, sulphur or other contaminants- may not be easily removed.

I.e. it may be the difference between naturally occurring mineral or other contaminants- versus a sloppy neighbour who has caused contamination with slurry/fertiliser or other.

Either way- it is not permissible to let a property without a supply of drinking water.

Graces7 wrote:

Running drinking water is a legal requirement, where do you draw the line. Maybe the OP would be happy to drop 200 euro pm off the rental price for lack of water. It's still illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depends on what exactly the issue is- Clostridium or other bacterial contamination- may be filterable- however, nitrates, sulphur or other contaminants- may not be easily removed.

I.e. it may be the difference between naturally occurring mineral or other contaminants- versus a sloppy neighbour who has caused contamination with slurry/fertiliser or other.

Either way- it is not permissible to let a property without a supply of drinking water.

Would the LL delivering a certain number of bottles each week count as a supply? Or does it have to be a piped, limitless supply?

Would the LL delivering a certain number of bottles each week count as a supply? Or does it have to be a piped, limitless supply?

Piped:
    Sink, with a piped supply of potable cold water taken direct from the
    service pipe supplying water from the public main or other source to
    the building containing the house

Source: HOUSING (STANDARDS FOR RENTED HOUSES) REGULATIONS 2017

• Advertisement

It has to be a piped supply- its not designed to be limitless- this was discussed before- to the best of my knowledge the extent of the supply depends on the size of the property and how many people are supposed to dwell there- multiplied by 1,400 litres per day (which seems like an awful lot to me).

So- its a vast supply- but not limitless.

It has to be a piped supply- its not designed to be limitless- this was discussed before- to the best of my knowledge the extent of the supply depends on the size of the property and how many people are supposed to dwell there- multiplied by 1,400 litres per day (which seems like an awful lot to me).

So- its a vast supply- but not limitless.

There's nothing in the legislation to indicate any specific volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm assuming that the OP was advised that the water from the well should not be drank by humans.

To clarify this; the OP may have drank from the well, having grown up drinking it, gained a resistance to any harmful bacteria. But should someone else drink from it, they'd get sick. I find this a lot in some areas of the countryside, where the water would be from a local well, and although the locals would not get sick from drinking it, a blow-in would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

aloooof wrote: »
    There's obviously a world of difference between not having a potable water supply and not having a microwave.

legally there isn't, both are required by law. which demonstrates the poor thinking of those that draft our laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Have you thought about getting a Reverse Osmosis system installed? They can be bought outright for about 3-400e, or rented for 3.99 a week. They can filter just the drinking water, or the whole water supply to the house. A lot cheaper than buying bottled.
    Some information on R.O. water and crypto -https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/gen_info/filters.html

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Some common sense at last. Thank you.

I am happy with the water supply here as I have been elsewhere. Legalism in individual circumstances does not appeal. Or apply.

I knew what the supply was before I took the rental. When you rent two miles up a mountain track you know what you are doing. I would not expect mains water or a drilled deep well in a remote isolated cottage like this. Easy enough to boil or filter or buy in water.

Acceptance is all as with a microwave or freezer.

These are basic safeguards which it is good to have of course, and a general guide only. As long as the tenant knows and is able and aware.

The OP is honest about it all. There is no deception, and good concern.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Running drinking water is a legal requirement, where do you draw the line. Maybe the OP would be happy to drop 200 euro pm off the rental price for lack of water. It's still illegal.

The law is for what? To protect the tenant from ?? I know the supply here and accept it with its limitations. Period. I draw the line there; consenting adult .

Graces7 wrote: »
    These are basic safeguards which it is good to have of course, and a general guide only. As long as the tenant knows and is able and aware.

The OP is honest about it all. There is no deception, and good concern.

This is just not the case though.
    Yes- its a basic safeguard- but no, definitely no, it is not just a general guide- it is the law, period.

You do not get to decide what parts of the law you want to be compliant with- and which parts its convenient to ignore or brush under the carpet.

The purpose of regulations concerning potable water supplies- are to protect people's health. It is not permissable for someone, knowingly or otherwise, to abdicate their rights or their responsibilities under this law (or indeed any other law).

Just because you are cognisant of the situation, and accepting of it, with your eyes wide open- does not mean it is right, safe or legal- frankly- it isn't.

In any event- I doubt you are the OP's tenant (or ex-tenant)- and you have absolutely no idea of what is the contamination associated with their water- so your acceptance of well water elsewhere, that you may be satisfied with- may be of no significance whatsoever in the OP's case.

Just to reiterate- it is not the prerogative of tenants or landlords to abdicate their legal rights or responsibilities towards one another.

• Advertisement

What about areas with long term water problems or contaminations? Does this this render every rental illegal and prevent LLs from stating new lets? This could be in the middle of a city and go on for a long time.

Advertisement