Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a property, want to rent it out but problem with water

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What about areas with long term water problems or contaminations? Does this this render every rental illegal and prevent LLs from stating new lets? This could be in the middle of a city and go on for a long time.

Depends on the nature of the contamination- but you can buy/install bacterial filtration systems which allegedly will clean the water better than mains water- other contaminants, such as iron/sulphur/Ca etc- may be more difficult to control.

Really depends- its not a blanket every rental in Area X is illegal- it may be more prescriptive measures that must be implemented to bring the water supplies up to spec.

Yes- I suppose I am splitting straws.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

This is just not the case though.
    Yes- its a basic safeguard- but no, definitely no, it is not just a general guide- it is the law, period.

You do not get to decide what parts of the law you want to be compliant with- and which parts its convenient to ignore or brush under the carpet.

The purpose of regulations concerning potable water supplies- are to protect people's health. It is not permissable for someone, knowingly or otherwise, to abdicate their rights or their responsibilities under this law (or indeed any other law).

Just because you are cognisant of the situation, and accepting of it, with your eyes wide open- does not mean it is right, safe or legal- frankly- it isn't.

In any event- I doubt you are the OP's tenant (or ex-tenant)- and you have absolutely no idea of what is the contamination associated with their water- so your acceptance of well water elsewhere, that you may be satisfied with- may be of no significance whatsoever in the OP's case.

Just to reiterate- it is not the prerogative of tenants or landlords to abdicate their legal rights or responsibilities towards one another.

I think you're putting it way too literally.

Are you trying to say in a situation where a both a tenant and LL are happy that someone else is going to enter the picture to enforce the law?

In reality that doesn't happen.

Tenants can and do decide what they will accept all the time.

pilly wrote: »
    Tenants can and do decide what they will accept all the time.

And then 6 weeks after the tenancy has ended- lob a compliance case into the RTB- which they win hands down, as the landlord hasn't a foot to stand on........

As well as being a health a safety measure- its also a protection measure- both financial and reputational- for a landlord.

Yes- people do agree to waive rights and obligations- it doesn't mean they are right to- and if either party decided to go back on it- they have the law on their side (the flipside of the coin might be the landlord deciding he/she wants the property back- and using the fact that it is non-compliant as a mechanism to force the tenant out).

Certainly there are health and safety reasons to be considered- however, there are other factors that are also to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And then 6 weeks after the tenancy has ended- lob a compliance case into the RTB- which they win hands down, as the landlord hasn't a foot to stand on........

As well as being a health a safety measure- its also a protection measure- both financial and reputational- for a landlord.

Yes- people do agree to waive rights and obligations- it doesn't mean they are right to- and if either party decided to go back on it- they have the law on their side (the flipside of the coin might be the landlord deciding he/she wants the property back- and using the fact that it is non-compliant as a mechanism to force the tenant out).

Certainly there are health and safety reasons to be considered- however, there are other factors that are also to the fore.

You are surely ovethinking this. making life far too complicated. Imagining all kinds of things that will not happen, well not out here.It is very simple.
    In all my years renting in Ireland I have only twice had mains water and it was... undrinkable in that it was full of chemicals. Might be technically " potable" but not drinkable.

My chosen way harms no one. At times as Dickens avers " the law is a ASS" and far too much intervention.

We in deep rural areas all have favourite wells and springs we gather water in from. Just a different way of life out here. Gathered water in today as always.

Civil law not criminal law of course ;)

Graces7 - you haven't clarified whether, or not, you're the OP's tenant- however, I will make a working assumption you are by your insistence on personalising your posts on the topic in the manner in which you are doing.

If you're not the OP's tenant- please stop trying to murky the water (if you'll excuse the pun)- as you are pushing to have the OP let a house which is not compliant with housing rental standards.

We are not allowed to discuss topics which are in breach of the law here- so please refrain from doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 - you haven't clarified whether, or not, you're the OP's tenant- however, I will make a working assumption you are by your insistence on personalising your posts on the topic in the manner in which you are doing.

If you're not the OP's tenant- please stop trying to murky the water (if you'll excuse the pun)- as you are pushing to have the OP let a house which is not compliant with housing rental standards.

We are not allowed to discuss topics which are in breach of the law here- so please refrain from doing so.

I hear thee my friend and the OP has the answer SHE needs. This has helped me greatly clarify my own thoughts etc so thank you!

Graces7 wrote: »
    I hear thee my friend and the OP has the answer SHE needs. This has helped me greatly clarify my own thoughts etc so thank you!

I'm not sure how I've helped- but you're more than welcome.

Advertisement