Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broken smoke alarm

• 17-04-2017 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

hi there

Both my smoke alarms are not working at the moment. Can anyone recommend hardware store that I could bring them into to that mite fix them for me. Dont have alot money to spend so dont want to have to ring an electrian

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's strange that both would go faulty, if these are the bog standard ones that screw onto the ceiling and are battery operated then I'd suggest changing the batteries, if that fails then go for new units. There probably isn't much that can be checked/repaired on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are they hard wired to your home's electrical system or battery operated ones that you can stick anywhere?

If they are hard wired you should see a light on them (usually green) to show that they are live. If there is no light then you might have an electrical issue given that both are not working.

If they are battery operated then try changing the battery (usually a pencil battery). If that doesn't work then they could be knackered and a new one would be cheaper than paying someone to look at it and tell you the same. Replacement battery operated smoke alarms are not that expensive and most DIY stores or supermarkets sell them. The likes of Aldi/Lidl sell them frequently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cupan_tae

They were giving away fire alarms not that long ago. I just did a google search and found this

https://www.limerick.ie/council/community-smoke-alarm-scheme

Download the form or give them a shout and see if you can get a couple. I got 2 last year, (well I asked someone to get them for me) they are 10 year smoke alarms. I test mine every week and still going strong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

They may be out of date so check the expiry on them.

Advertisement