Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Government abolishing 457 visas, Malcolm Turnbull says

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Good idea in theory but looks like a re-badging. They have tried to re-form this visa a few times nothing ever seems to do the trick really.

Worried a bit, I'm doing a PhD in science and was planning on going to Australia for a postdoc. Unclear yet if proposed changes would affect me but it seems like it would so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Good idea in theory but looks like a re-badging. They have tried to re-form this visa a few times nothing ever seems to do the trick really.
    That was my initial thought too but police clearance and work experience checks are involved too.

From contacts still in WA the job market has gotten really tight so it's a good move politically.

Look I think they have tried to implement reforms previously like the labour market testing and advertising for Australians Only first.
    I have a feeling like the previous measures they will be very easy to get around and to find loop holes in. 
    +1 for the Police clearance. Work experience I can see the holes in that straight away false work experience and the like.

Yours contacts in WA are right; the WA economy is not in a good space at the moment housing market is still on the way down and employment is on the rise with city wages going back to pre-boom levels for a lot of professions.

Hey piratequeen were you hoping to come on a 457 (Reserch based) or utilizing a student visa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

catbear wrote: »
    That was my initial thought too but police clearance and work experience checks are involved too.

From contacts still in WA the job market has gotten really tight so it's a good move politically.

Also a tougher transition to residency, removing the pot of gold from the end of the 457 visa rainbow is what would have fixed all the problems years ago.

In fairness in the last 8 years the whole 457 process was a joke, great to see it replaced with something with some integrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Look I think they have tried to implement reforms previously like the labour market testing and advertising for Australians Only first.
    I have a feeling like the previous measures they will be very easy to get around and to find loop holes in. 
    +1 for the Police clearance. Work experience I can see the holes in that straight away false work experience and the like.

Yours contacts in WA are right; the WA economy is not in a good space at the moment housing market is still on the way down and employment is on the rise with city wages going back to pre-boom levels for a lot of professions.

Hey piratequeen were you hoping to come on a 457 (Reserch based) or utilizing a student visa?
    The big change for me is their plan to have ATO cross ref TFN details on 457 with income. This alone would stop most of the rorting where companies sponsor people to do X (e.g. Chef, Manager) and then they actually do Y (wash dishes, drive a taxi). Apparently if taxable income does not match market rate for that 457 job class they will get a please explain from BP.
    Personally I agree with stopping some of the ridiculous rorts around 457 and student visas but the rhetoric around this one smacks of populism and Trumble and Dutton trying to swing the right of their party and Pauline mob back to their side.

Worried a bit, I'm doing a PhD in science and was planning on going to Australia for a postdoc. Unclear yet if proposed changes would affect me but it seems like it would so far...
    I don't think this would be a major (new) blocker. The biggest issue will be small number of post-doc vacancies and large number of grads looking to fill them, both domestically and international. My partner is doing one here but she completed her Phd in Aus so probably helped a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I plan to go for 2 years. My uncle said it won't affect me. Only people looking to stay for over 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 26 artemis268

This is great news. Australia should take care of its own first.

A 457, I think. I'll be finished my PhD next year so no longer a student, afaik the most common visa used for postdoctoral researchers was the 457.

• Advertisement

jackbhoy wrote: »
    I don't think this would be a major (new) blocker. The biggest issue will be small number of post-doc vacancies and large number of grads looking to fill them, both domestically and international. My partner is doing one here but she completed her Phd in Aus so probably helped a lot.

Yeah the competition is a problem everywhere, of course! I have a few connections over there already and was hoping on sorting out a position that way rather than applying for open calls, but depending on how strict they are with the policy of advertising jobs to Australians first that might not be possible? It's unclear yet whether PhD years will count in lieu of work experience as they did under the 457, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Im currently on a WHV the last 3 months in Sydney but would be looking to stay in Oz longer than the two years. This is a concern but I will just have to work a bit harder. Really don't want to return home for a while.

Interesting to note NZ have effectively done the same today.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/19/new-zealand-restricts-skilled-worker-visas-in-kiwis-first-approach-to-immigration

Yeah the competition is a problem everywhere, of course! I have a few connections over there already and was hoping on sorting out a position that way rather than applying for open calls, but depending on how strict they are with the policy of advertising jobs to Australians first that might not be possible? It's unclear yet whether PhD years will count in lieu of work experience as they did under the 457, too.

If you have contacts that will be far more fruitful than going through front door once a role is advertised. My partner spoke to the research group here while she was back in Dublin working in industry as her research was very closely aligned. She ended up getting support from Prof. here for PhD scholarship, would never have happened without that previous relationship. Competition is fierce here but would suggest making contacts in groups that are quite aligned to your research area.

Australian Unis have a huge cash cow in international students, mostly from Asia. Many of them use that as a pathway to PR and Unis are very willing to take their $$$ and spoon feed them through degrees and post grad programmes. Will be interesting to see if this changes as well or if 457 changes impact job prospects for some of those.
    When you apply for postdoc it is likely most of competition will be from these guys rather than Aussie citizens so it might not be as big a disadvantage as other job types. Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

See Malcolm Turnbull is trying to increase the number of years you need to be a PR to get citizenship from 1 year to 4 years..could come in today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

rightyabe wrote: »
    See Malcolm Turnbull is trying to increase the number of years you need to be a PR to get citizenship from 1 year to 4 years..could come in today?

Yeah looks like it might be coming in from today according to this:

http://www.border.gov.au/ReportsandPublications/Documents/discussion-papers/citizenship-paper.pdf

"The Government will introduce new citizenship related legislation into the
    Parliament, informed by responses to this paper, by the end of 2017.
    The package of reforms will apply to applications received on or after the
    Government's announcement on 20 April 2017."

If so I'll have to wait until next year to apply even though I've been here for 9 years already. I'm sure I'll be much better citizen by then.

Yeah I'm just 4 weeks off applying..now it's 3 years and 4 weeks..fml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Yeah I'm just 4 weeks off applying..now it's 3 years and 4 weeks..fml

19 days off applying here :(

Reading on pomsinoz some say maybe those already on PR might not be affected..only gossip yet but seems harsh on poor folk like me waiting a few weeks. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

19 days off applying here :(

3 weeks myself, I'm fcuking sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Ugh what! Thats a pain in the ass! I'll be in Australia 10 years before I qualify!

• Advertisement

All the existing visa users shouldn't be affected.

Bloody oath we shouldn't be:)

read conflicting stories in the media Is this effective immediately if so very harsh!!

read conflicting stories in the media Is this effective immediately if so very harsh!!
    I read that it was effective for all new applicants for the new 457 (whatever it's called) but the existing arrangements would be grandfathered.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

shi*e news.....most people i know over have already got the citizenship but my brother for instance is on 457 and eligible to apply for PR in a couple of months.

I'm assuming he can still apply for PR but he'd have to wait another 4 years to be eligible for citizenship so be there for 8 years total before could apply

I'll be well salty if we are :-)

Now you just need to demonstrate "Australian values"; whatever the fark that means. Malcolm has sold his soul for short-term political gain. Dutton is just a thick Queensland copper so expect nothing better but this populist xenophobia from Turnbull is so disappointing.

Now you just need to demonstrate "Australian values"; whatever the fark that means. Malcolm has sold his soul for short-term political gain. Dutton is just a thick Queensland copper so expect nothing better but this populist xenophobia from Turnbull is so disappointing.

One of the new sample questions is:
    When is it acceptable to strike your spouse?

One of the new sample questions is:
    When is it acceptable to strike your spouse?

Obviously only when your two goon bags down and she's off her leash..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, I'm reminded of the multiple-choice test I had to take when exchanging my Irish licence for a WA licence. The questions were along the line of

Q. You are driving along when you drop your lighted cigaretted into your lap and set your trousers on fire. Do you:

(a) . . . scream, panic and steer into oncoming traffic?

(b) . . . extinguish the fire by emptying your gin-and-tonic onto it?

(c) . . . slow down and stop as soon as it is safe to do so?

You didn't need to have spent too much time studying the Rules of the Road to work out which answer was the acceptable one.

And it will be the same with this extended citizenship test. Even the existing test functions mainly as an English language test; success in the test is closely correlated with linguistic background. This extension of the test won't change anything. The notion that you can test whether someone embraces "Australian values" (or any values) by asking questions like this is too silly to bother refuting.

Yeah sure anyone can tick the box that is the "right answer" but that doesn't mean they will follow what it says...

Also heard a interview Peter Dutton did on triple J and he was asked what are Australian values..he said the usual old crap bull **** answer...blaa blaa blaa and the interviewer said basically aren't they they values of every other westernised nation..

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

Well I've got a massive Rabbitohs tattoo on my forearm , thats my Australian values and integration into the community proved..... I should get my passport handed to me personally by Turnbull :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

New citizenship legislation in front of parliment this week, lets see how this goes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

It sounds like the labour shadow cabinet are dead set against the level 6 english and a few of the other developments Dutton is proposing.

He's a goon anyway. don't be surprised if the amendment falls over

Advertisement