Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake lever not returning

Options
  • 18-04-2017 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a Btwin Rockrider 500 for knocking around on, it has disc brakes.

It has had an issue for a while now (I havent used it in months) that the brake lever does not return once it is depressed.
    If I adjust the brake cable it will work once, but after that it will just stay floppy and not function.

Does anyone have a quick idea on a solution perhaps?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

When did you last change the cables and housing? Could be accumulation on dirt inside the housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Effects says, replacing the cable and housing will probably solve this. It's been lying idle for months, the cable or housing is probably rusted.

Also check the caliper mechanism - move it by hand and see if it springs back easily. If it doesn't, then it's seized.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what happens if you release the cable at the calipers - i.e. with no tension on the cable from there. same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try the caliper after work but from memory that is how I got the feel back into the brake lever before.
    The bike was always stored inside and hardly ever used (never in rain), but I cant rule out rust I guess. I am wanting to sell the bike but want to get it correct before moving it on.

As an aside, I have a Trek 1500 slr from circa 2007. It has full ultegra and is in pretty good nick. I could sell it for probably 400euro here in Switzerland, and I am thinking of getting a Btwin Ultra 700 when they have a sale again. Would you sell the Trek for the Btwin or just keep it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I had similar problem before and thought it was the callipers so I tested them and that wasn't the issue. Someone mentioned build up in the housing and that's what it was. Didn't help that I was putting WD40 down the housing as a stop gap measure!

• Advertisement
Advertisement