Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Zeroing for Centrefire

Options
  • 18-04-2017 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

So, To all the centrefire deer hunters.
    How many meters are you dialing your scope in for to shoot deer?
    Preferably in .308.

100m?
    150m?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭DogfoxCork

100yds is a pretty common zero. some zero an inch high at 100 but i favour the zero at 100 personally

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

All the shots on my permissions are between 40 to 147 yards. So i keep a 100 yard (91 mtr) zero. This gives me, with the factory ammo i use, a 1.5 drop out to 200 and down to 50. So its essentially a point and shoot rifle from 50 to 200 yards.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

50 meters,but that's the scope manufacture recommendation,and as its a 1/6 power,and I don't need to reach out and touch any deer over 200 meters.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

200y with my Sako 75 varmint .308 rifle.

This for me is point and shoot out from here to 225y.
    Using a Bushnell Tactical elite 4200 6-24x50mm mildot.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Hunterjohnb

A zero of 175 mtrs will give you a point and shoot range out to 300 mtrs. assuming you are taking engine room shots.If you want to be more accurate a 100 mtr zero and make out a dope chart to whatever range you fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

A zero of 175 mtrs will give you a point and shoot range out to 300 mtrs. assuming you are taking engine room shots.If you want to be more accurate a 100 mtr zero and make out a dope chart to whatever range you fancy.

Dope chart isn't any good if you don't know the target range.

Maybe only a dope know's this vital information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The inch high or so at 100yrds is more or less standard.

You can go on line with either ammunition manufacturers or buy into Strelok app and such, add in some basic info - ammo spec, scope height etc (it won't be 100%) and work out the approximate Point Blank Range. This will give you, in theory, your trajectory hight at a 100 yards and max distance that you can point and shoot.

But and a big BUT all of this is academic until you put shots on paper. Get your confidence by punching paper both at 100 and your expected max range and in fact if you can stretch it out go beyound to 300yrds. You never know when you may have no choice but to take that shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Hunterjohnb

clivej wrote: »
    Dope chart isn't any good if you don't know the target range.

Maybe only a dope know's this vital information.

That is why range finders were invented.Do you really need every thing laid out in plain sentences?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Anyone ever try the formula for when you use the ranging setting on your scope? Once you get used to it it does work. It might be rough, but it'll get you fairly close. I tried it once on a crow at 220 yards with my .22lr. got the distance/hold right, just never allowed for wind.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement