Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Killaloe

• 18-04-2017 10:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

I was wondering if anyone knew of the quickest way to get from Dublin to Killaloe using public transport? I need to be there on a Friday for midday. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Proabably train to Limerick and bus out to Killaloe

Train from Dublin to Limerick is just over the 2 hours.

Actually scratch that - the bus service out to Killaloe hasn't a great selection of times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Your best bet is to Get a bus to Birdhill. Kavanaghs for example run regular buses from a few areas in Dublin (Heuston, Airport) to Birdhill. Birdhill is about 2 or 3 miles from Killaloe, depending on how flexible you are, from there you could...

1) Thumb to Killaloe
    2) Book a Taxi/Hackney from Killaloe - Make sure you book in advance.
    3) Walk to Killaoe - Just be aware, it's a narrow enough road in parts. Not the safest for walking

As phog said, the buses from Limerick to Killaloe are complete shoite

P.S. You do know Killaloe is in Clare & not Limerick....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Where do you need to go in Killaloe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

BnB wrote: »
    P.S. You do know Killaloe is in Clare & not Limerick....

Not according to Eircode! :pac:

OP, your best bet would be a private coach to Birdhill and then a taxi to Killaloe. Exit 27 Cabs (0877272727) is the only one I know of offhand, assuming they haven't gone bust in the past year or so. Or, if you're meeting friends or attending an event in Killaloe, see if someone can give you a lift from Birdhill, it's a very short drive.

I wouldn't recommend walking from Birdhill; the R494 is a very busy and narrow road and has no footpaths or shoulders for most of its length, so you've nowhere to go to dodge an oncoming car. Folks speed along through the blind bends there and are not expecting pedestrians to be in their way. I've never seen a pedestrian dare to venture much further than the old Templeachally church ruin on the edge of town, and for good reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Gitsfinger

Hi seachto7,

We have to get to the Killaloe Hotel and Spa.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Gitsfinger wrote: »
    Hi seachto7,

Then I definitely think, Bus to Birdhill and book a hackney/taxi from Killaloe to pick you up. Make sure you book the taxi the day before to be sure - You couldn't just arrive in Birdhill and call one and expect it in 10 minutes. You could be lucky.... but you could be unlucky too.

If you were comfortable with it, you could thumb down from Birdhill - You'd often see people thumbing from the roundabout into Killaloe and I'd say you'd get a lift easy enough.

I'd agree with dennyk - The road isn't suitable for walking. Also, the hotel you're going to is on the complete opposite end of the town to Birdhill so it would be a fair ol' walk - even from when you hit the edge of the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

As a side note , you are actually going to Ballina , Co. Tipp , a distinction that becomes all the more important the closer you get to a GAA Game between the two counties ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Gitsfinger wrote: »
    Hi seachto7,

Just bare in mind, the Killaloe Hotel and Spa are actually around 1 mile apart from each other, the hotel in outside the town on the Scariff road, whilst the spa in the the village centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

jonski wrote: »
    As a side note , you are actually going to Ballina , Co. Tipp , a distinction that becomes all the more important the closer you get to a GAA Game between the two counties ðŸ˜

The Killaloe Hotel is on the Clare side. You're probably thinking of the Lakeside which is in Ballina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yep, the Killaloe just reopened last year after being closed down for a while (used to be the Kincora Hall Hotel). Never stayed there, but the bar and restaurant are pretty nice, at least, and the terrace has a nice view of the hills across the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

The Killaloe Hotel is on the Clare side. You're probably thinking of the Lakeside which is in Ballina.

It is and I was :)

Advertisement